Parking tickets

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:29 pm
LK, you know the bastard saw you and rushed over just to give you the greasy ticket, then saw you with the screaming kid minute later and his conscience and moral principles were not triggered. why would you NOT try to contest, especially since it's so much money and you have a chance to reduce it at least?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:34 pm
1. I hate the american sue-ciety.
2. It is indeed illegal to park in a hc spot if you aren't hc.
3. I have a valid cambridge parking sticker which allows me to park on any unmetered street that allows parking.
4. I would be a hypocrit were I to fight it and I hate hypocricy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:38 pm
I have a valid cambridge parking sticker which allows me to park on any unmetered street that allows parking.

You mean, in Cambridge, you need a parking sticker to park where parking is allowed anyway? Just how much regulation can one society endure?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:52 pm
oops - there is residential parking and metered parking. If you have a residential sticker you can park in any residential area.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:57 pm
you would not be a hypocrit, you did have a good reason. i have seen the little girl, i know what she's capable of. it is the manner of the jerk giving you the ticket that upsets me. he saw you. he knew you did no go hop in the park, or go shopping! he watched you the whole time! you were late, you had to get the moody girl, i would do the same. i turn on the blinkers, run, and pray.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 10:05 pm
mmmm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 10:59 pm
No, the little bastard had to have planted the ticket before she returned to the car.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:37 am
Lovely Rita, Meter Maid...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:52 am
The #1 source of revenue for many tourist towns is parking or speeding tickets. Out-of-towners rarely contest them, pay any outrageous fee without complaint, and the revenue can add up to $600,000 or more per year. For a little podunk town!

Is this the proper function for a government? Because tickets are issued more as a predatory form of income than to actually deter bad behavior, I believe it is everyone's duty to contest every ticket ever issued.

If we clog the traffic courts and demand the officer show up to explain it every single time, then at least the revenue sharking is somewhat reduced.

It's our civic duty to put integrity back into the government.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:34 am
It's all well and good to go over whether the system is valid or not, but it comes down to this: are you willing to go sit in a courthouse all day (likelihood is you're in for a long wait) on the slim chance that they'll waive your hundred dollar fine? Walking in after two dozen (largely disingenuous -- is that a word?) people have already pleaded their "Look, I was just there for two minutes," to plead your own, "Look, I was just there for two minutes."

If it's worth it to you, go for it. Me -- now, I'm no rich man, but my days are worth more than that.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:34 am
Codeburg - contesting a parking ticket is a bit different. The person issueing the ticket doesn't show up to court. That's only required for a moving violation. In Mass., the police don't normally issue parking tickets, it's usually a separate Traffic, Parking and Transportation Department in the respective city or town. That's why they're impossible to fight, even if you're a cop.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:54 pm
roger wrote:
No, the little bastard had to have planted the ticket before she returned to the car.

nope, as long as they have started writing, it's no use trying to talk them out of it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:57 pm
Sugar - I didn't know that tidbit. So, there's no "the guy didn't show, the charge is dropped" way out?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:05 pm
first, littlek, you have to decide if it's worth your time to contest it. deciding that it is worth time then it is a crap shoot. it all depends on who the traffic court judge is that day. a suggestion: when you go to court, where something dressier. put on a bit of make-up, that sort of thing.

you don't have much to lose. and it is in your favor that you don't have any outstanding parking violations, a bad driving or criminal record. bear in mind: this judge sees some of the most disrespectful and stupidest people on the planet, so you'll probably be a bit of fresh air to him or her.

i had to go to traffic court a few years ago. i was the second one on the dock. the guy in front of me who went before the judge was a real nit-wit who pleaded "not guilty" to the charge. the judge, who became visibly pissed off then read of a list of violations on his record that went on for about two pages.

when i went up there i pleaded guilty with an explanation and didn't have to pay a fine and he erased it from my driving record. it's definitely worth a try.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:34 am
Do you go to the same court their for parking violations as moving violations?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:39 am
littlek wrote:
So, there's no "the guy didn't show, the charge is dropped" way out?

Nope, because no one has to show up but you. You can still fill out an application, which they'll review, and maybe they'll get around to setting up a hearing for you in this life time.

Then you'll go into court and say to a judge that's cranky because he's stuck doing traffic court cases "Yes, I did park in a handicapped spot but....". Dunno. Just seems like a lot of aggravation for a ticket that's actually legitimate, even if you were just for a few minutes. Meter maids - fastest pen in the east.

Even if you don't end up paying it, and I think you will, it might be worth the $100 just to avoid the aggravation. If it was a moving violation I'd say fight it to avoid paying tose damn insurance companies more money, but this is just a simple parking ticket, albeit expensive. Good luck on whatever you decide.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:49 am
Yep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 11:22 am
yep
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 02:13 pm
Thanks, Gala. Your welcome.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 02:53 pm
You're a sweet person and it was an uncharacteristic error in judgement on your part, so accept your responsibility and move on.
Sit down and write out a check for a hundred for the parking ticket, then write one for twenty each to the following:
Muscular Dystrophy Foundation
Multiple Sclerosis Foundation

then since you don't have the money readily you must "fine" yourself one movie and one dinner out per month for one year. (In NYC, only six months)
If you don't do movies and dining out, then pick some pleasure you do indulge in and fine that.
0 Replies