Fil Albuquerque

Sun 11 Aug, 2019 03:43 pm
@maxdog,
...Mother Theresa was clever and wanted to sleep well at night...in fact, natural selection has favored species that cooperate because such social behavior is energy efficient. Those who cooperate have a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes to the next generation...love was "invented" by nature for the offspring having a better chance of survival if both mother and father are invested in raising it together especially in species that have a long developing cycle from childhood to adulthood ...so being high on dopamine and oxytocin worked well for mammals and primates and more recently people. Same goes with cultures and memes but that is yet a deeper dive at the topic best left for another occasion.
maxdog

Sun 11 Aug, 2019 04:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You got really intense in this study . So you re saying i love a band because i have the benefit of pleasure listening to it ?
Leadfoot

Sun 11 Aug, 2019 05:32 pm
@maxdog,
Or maybe the lead singer is hot.

Sorry for butting in but I’ve never understood the absurd concept of 'unconditional love'. Where did it come from? Well, thinking about it, maybe I know.

If love is bestowed on that which does not merit love, ie, unconditionally, it destroys any meaning or value in the word 'love' or 'unconditional'. So which word is being misused in the term 'unconditional love'?

I get that God loves us and we love our children even when they screw up but if we or our children ultimately squander the potential in us, there comes a time to let go, lest we let them/us destroy 'Love'.
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 11 Aug, 2019 07:42 pm
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:

You got really intense in this study . So you re saying i love a band because i have the benefit of pleasure listening to it ?

Would you love the band if they played bad? It's possible also, playing bad can turn up entertaining and be funny...is that your point?
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 11 Aug, 2019 07:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
I liked this piece of your comment:
Quote:
Sorry for butting in but I’ve never understood the absurd concept of 'unconditional love'. Where did it come from? Well, thinking about it, maybe I know.

If love is bestowed on that which does not merit love, ie, unconditionally, it destroys any meaning or value in the word 'love' or 'unconditional'. So which word is being misused in the term 'unconditional love'?
Leadfoot

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 07:06 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thanks, and good point about the band.

Do you think there is ever a time to 'let go of love'?
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:53 am
@Leadfoot,
I can give you the second half of my thoughts about Love...explaining it scientifically doesn't change anything about it.

Love for me in its most abstract form is about Rationality and Rationality is all about Connection, proximity, bounding...

I Believe in a Rational Deterministic bounded, connected Universe!
One Universe that has no actual Infinity, nor its inherited irrationality, with undecidable infinite Qualia!
Infinity is just a loop on a finite set of phenomena, it works in a fractal pattern.
I also don't believe in true randomness, because believing it would require believing in magic...
For something to truly randomly change it would require an Infinite set of potential morphologies...an actual random change is undecidable! It cannot materialize...
What we have instead with Randomness is just an obscure bad translation of another much more clearer word, Balance! (a 50/50 chance is about Balance, not indeterminism)
Well, I can feel the hate of some mathematicians reading this even some physicists...I don't care, it's all fine...in the game of semantics, there are several levels of drawing meaning from dark obscure concepts! Most lack purity! And Love, the actual abstract thing, is all about purity!

Let me say something else because I am only human....**** you Cantor you dumb asshole!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Thanks, and good point about the band.

Do you think there is ever a time to 'let go of love'?

I put it the other way around...Love will never let go of you!
Your information is not forever lost...you will come back in the next cycle, eon.
Leadfoot

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 12:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
It does have a hell of a grip.
0 Replies

maxdog

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 12:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
It s true i would not love it if it don t satisfy my ears.
0 Replies

KrossKate

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 12:20 pm
@Violet Lake,
Love is the emotion that makes you happy
0 Replies

exusano

Wed 25 Sep, 2019 08:55 am
@Violet Lake,
Love is an action. It is not just the feeling,it is an act of the will. Just like when your family gets on your nerves but you still show them love even when you know they might have done something to hurt you because love is more than a feeling. It can start with a feeling but it is fully based on action, a decision. When you marry someone you are deciding to marry them as an act of the will a decision. So it goes beyond feelings. Most people divorce because they think because the feelings aren't there so they must not love each other anymore but that is not the case. Love is an action meaning even though your wife or husband is not treating you well you choose to show love because you made a commitment a decision to love them. Love is a decision and love is also God. God is love, the bible says only God loves especially when we treat people in the worst way,He loves us despite our flaws.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 25 Sep, 2019 09:28 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Would you love the band if they played bad?

Depends on whether or not he's a Michael Jackson fan.

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:13 am
@izzythepush,
I am STILL a MJ fan...and I still can do some of his moves pretty well for a minute or two, although I am getting fatter and old now. My wife loves it!

Well, there's a facet of me people may find hard to believe with all my "squareness" popping in so many of my posts...I was quite a dancer back in the day and was going to disco day in day out. Wink
izzythepush

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm not, I never liked him, never liked his music and I wasn't surprised when all the revelations about him came out.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
Well, I was expecting exactly that answer from you...
I am eclectic in my musical tastes, and super pop is not out of it.
As for the revelations if true they are abominable, I am not at all sure they are true.
In dubio pro reo!

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:29 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:40 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I think they are true. There's no reason to doubt his accusers.

Jarvis Cocker was right about him back in the 90s.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I am eclectic in my musical tastes,

That's what people with no taste or understanding usually say.

Do you like anything that's not crap?
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 07:00 am
@izzythepush,
I don't doubt for a minute that there is good and bad music in all styles...
...by the way, your answer is of extremely poor taste, but essentially profoundly wrong!

I do like, among many, I will just cite a few:
"Classic" Beethoven, Debussy, not Mozart, not Bach...hate most Operas as they are neither theater nor natural singing...(My wife is a Lyric singer ironically)
More, 50's Big band music, 70's Disco sound.
Punk Rock Sex Pistols, Clash, etc...
For instance, I don't like the Beetles but I like Bee Gees!
Pop MJ for US, and mostly British Pop...
Techno Jean Michelle Jarre above all others.
Blues and Jazz at large also.

...soo yeah there is good and bad music everywhere...most people can't distinguish more than four or five "voices" in a row...I do, its something I actually do well...wrong door you knocked on pal!