Travel - packing tips!

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:33 pm
Yes, I agree on the ear plugs and am glad to hear about the wrist thing. (I get sick as a passenger when being driven through mountainous regions. Am okay if I am driving. Got terribly seasick once, on the boat to Catalina which had lost an engine... agggggh.

Ear plugs... my first trip to Italy.. the crew and their "kitchen" were right in front of us. I heard all about their love lives and work irritations, bletch, when I needed to sleep for my long longed for vacation.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:44 pm
Alcohol doesn't work well for me when flying. One Dramamine before boarding does help me with the motion sickness that results from turbulence. It puts me to sleep, though, but that is usually a good thing. Makes the flight seem so much shorter. Yes, yes, bring earplugs! And a baseball cap or packable hat you can pull down over your eyes to keep out the light.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:54 pm
Sofia wrote:
My husband has been horribly ill for a few years--and is finally supposed to recieve a liver.

In the nick of time, I think.

So, we're being flown to Virginia to do a week's worth of tests and so forth.

Then, when a liver becomes available--we have four hours to get back to VA. The closest airport is 2 hours away. This is possibly what I need alcohol for...
---------
He was in the Armed Services for a while--was driving in the dark in a jeep in the snow...manuevers... They crashed. He recieved a blood transfusion--and as near as we know this planted the seed of Hepatitis C in him 26 years ago. We didn't know anything was wrong until 3 years ago. By then, he had full blown Hep C AND cirrhosis.

The kids and I tested negative. I don't trust the Hep C tests, though. I'd like a couple more before I relax.

Geez.
That is an awful story.

There is a chance that you can catch the Hep C? But you didn't? Good. That's the best thing about your story. Yeah, I'd still worry, but those tests are better positive than not.

My sincere best wishes for you and your husband. I hope he's not in any pain. How frustrating that this seems to be from some medical procedure! AND one that happened so long ago. Grrrrrrr. Tell me that the military is paying for this, please!

If you have to be in VA in four hours (four, not 24?) and you're already 2 hours away.... errrrr.... now *I* am worried. What about a medivac helicoptor? They're much, much faster. What about an ambulance so you don't have to be the one rushing around driving while you're stressed. What if there isn't a plane going to Virginia as soon as you get to your airport? Don't you have some little airports nearby?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:58 pm
Or eyeshades, they don't cost much, a few dollars max, and I think some flights give them away, but don't count on it.

Ah, Sofia, what difficulty. I hope you have a way to have flight at hand for VA? or that someone will help you get that?
Or that you talk with the airline about possible need?

This is not a flight where you worry about jet lag or lack of moving around, it will all be about what is happening. I would probably have a glass of wine, but that doesn't mean you should, though you might if you like wine. I would guess you would want to be right there in the moment, probably sans eyeshades, etc. The flight is just the flight.

Hugs to both of you.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:12 pm
All, such good pointers and info.

I am making a list!

Thanks for kindnesses! They'll be giving me details very soon. They may use a medivac copter on our heli-pad at the local hospital.

I think someone will have to hit me in the head with a hammer to dull helicopter fear.

But, thanks everyone for the really good ideas.

Yes, the VA is paying for everything. Thank goodness. And they promise to get us where we need to go in enough time, if we show up where we're supposed to...

Valium sounds right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:17 pm
Sofia, You have our best wishes and moral support.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:25 pm
<Very sweet, thank you, ci>

I think I'm yammering about the flight, to keep from worrying about the operation.

There was a time when we didn't think my husband would get a liver. We both separately thought he was going to die last Christmas--and told each other recently.

It's funny to be desperate for a thing, and pray for it, and hold it out as the one thing in life you want---and then, when you get it, you're afraid of it.

I keep telling myself "This is our chance. I'm thankful to have it."
I can tell my husband is afraid, too.

You are all very kind.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:47 pm
You'll both be in my prayers, Sofia.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 12:21 am
The valium, have you taken one before? The only time I took a tranquilizer, which was as I remember a librium, was when I drove my with my dad, who was depressed and agitated, back to Dayton, Ohio from Los Angeles years ago.
A friend from work gave me a librium. Luckily my dad drove the first part because I could barely move my arms, talk about lethargy, zoooink. Consider half a valium unless you are used to them..
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 01:11 am
Discuss with your local doctor your fears. He may prescribe, or suggest something.

Your husband probably won't be able to take anything, though...

Good luck!

<never did do a trip report....reading back over this thread!>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 01:35 am
Trip Report Now!!! Upcoming, Trip Report!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:24 am
<Yes, Margo do a trip report!>

Sofia -- My nephew used to get medi-vac rides off the island he lived on when he'd have an asthma attack. Even though he was just a baby... this spanned the time from 8 months - 2 years, his mom NEVER rode in the helicoptor.* There isn't much room and they leave it for the EMTs. It is quite likely you won't need to worry about your helicoptor fears.

*Instead she'd rush him to the helicoptor pad and then they would call the state ferry office who would HOLD THE FERRY for her while she rushed from the drop-off point to the dock.

You definitely shouldn't be using real valium for travel anxiety... that could leave you in a stupor for 24 hours or longer. There is a fast-metabolizing drug that (according to my MD) leaves the body in less than 12 hours. He said he didn't want me to get off the plane in London and get hit by a car. :wink:

This is it...
Quote:
For short-term treatment of phobias in certain special situations your doctor may prescribe a benzodiazepine, a type of antianxiety medication, for example, lorazepam (Ativan). This might be done, for example, for someone who fears flying and is going on a plane trip.

from the Aetna Intelihealth website
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
Sofia,

You and your husband are in my thoughts.

Good advice, above, on the travel packing.

I'm such a regular traveller for work (can be at less than 24 hours notice until I fly) that I keep a small washbag with a small version of everything, ready, so I don't have to wonder what I need each time. All I need to do is check that the little containers and small toothpaste tube are full. I even stick sample aftershaves in - take no room and I'll never use them any other time!

I also always take a pair of Speedos and swim goggles so I can get some exercise, if there's time...they may look unsexy but they take up no room.

On flights, I like to wear a shirt with a pocket, so I can put my passport in there for easy access.

A cap can substitute for an umbrella and makes a big difference if it's cold (especially if you don't have a full head of hair!).

I do carry a lot of stuff that most people would ignore, however, like little speakers to plug into my walkman so I can listen to my own CDs in a hotel room.

KP
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:30 pm
Thanks piffka.

Good items, KP. Thank goodness now we won't forget our trusty speedos.... Smile I can tell you've done this before...(little speakers...good idea.)

Margo--
Trip report?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:31 pm
Sofia wrote:
Margo--
Trip report?

Sofia
I started this thread before my last European trip - because I always struggle with what to take (and, as travel guide on this forum at the time, I wanted to add travel content). I went to Sweden for a month, with a side trip to England (where KP left town rather than meet me Sad ) and Switzerland. I did manage to do almost a week with one carry-on bag only (except on Ryanair, where their luggage allowance is low - so they made me check it!)

One of these days.....
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:30 am
margo wrote:
Sofia wrote:
Margo--
Trip report?

Sofia
I started this thread before my last European trip - because I always struggle with what to take (and, as travel guide on this forum at the time, I wanted to add travel content). I went to Sweden for a month, with a side trip to England (where KP left town rather than meet me Sad ) and Switzerland. I did manage to do almost a week with one carry-on bag only (except on Ryanair, where their luggage allowance is low - so they made me check it!)

One of these days.....

You're not going to let me forget that, are you! I was WORKING. Laughing

Karma bit me in Boston, anyway, as no one from a2k was able to meet me!

KP
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:35 am
Apparently I bored her so much that she still bemoans yr absence till this day !! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:55 pm
Gautam wrote:
Apparently I bored her so much that she still bemoans yr absence till this day !! Twisted Evil

Not at all - Super G was the absolute highlight of the whole trip! Such a darling! Cool All will be revealed come the trip report (don't hold your breath!)

But..........silent member of KP fan club! :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:37 pm
I'se a member of the kp gautam margo and more fan clubs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
Hugs, Sofia.
0 Replies