Travel - packing tips!

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:57 am
margo, Welcome back! Why not give us a commentary on your trip? c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 11:09 pm
Hi Margo! Welcome back!!! I've been wondering how your Midsommarsdag went -- did you get completely silly??

Sounds like you packed perfectly but a bummer about the swimming. I didn't realize it got so warm in Switzerland. (Global Warming at work?)

I've just come from watching the sunset at Janet's house. Gorgeous. She speaks so fondly of you! I'll be waiting to hear all the news of your travels. Glad you're home safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:53 am
I am on page five, so sorry if I bludgeon in in the wrong place, but I find their (Travel Smith) zippered stuff important ...although I just read Bill Bryson on having his zippered inner pocket pickpocketed...in my case, zippered stuff has been useful. I bought big from there, the once, the suit and second pair of pants... and still have them. Even wear them once in a while.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:55 am
Still on page 5. Pifffka, this is where we part, I can barely stomach Steves...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:02 am
Now on seven, and want to know more...more, more, more.

I have just finished Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson, not as annoying as the last of his books I read. I will read Anything about europe. Margo, post your heart out, please....
I don't mind hearing your littleet inconvenience, your minutist pleasure...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:05 am
I guess that didn't sound like the best invitation, but really, Margo, when you get a chance, ears here....see..look at m'avatar.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
ossobuco wrote:
Still on page 5. Pifffka, this is where we part, I can barely stomach Steves...

Laughing Well, I don't want to MARRY him! Teehee!

I used to not like him so much, though I've liked his informational webpages for a few years. Then he faced the camera one day last winter (he's on PBS a lot with his Travels in Europe, but was being interviewed somewhere) and, in response to a question about how the current prez is handling the concerns of Europe... said, "F*ck George Bush."

The interviewer was totally taken aback, Rick Steves being normally the most mild-mannered of men. "Wha-What did you say?"

Rick turns to face the camera, looking absolutely square at the camera eye and calmly, but with feeling, repeats himself twice more. It was a moment for me, I tells ya. A big moment.

Rick Steves has, as far as I know, the most up-to-date information on traveling to Europe -- provided in a generalized fashion so you can look and say to self... hmmm, I won't need a car in Scotland because the trains will get me there (or not). I look at his intineraries for info, but it's not that I've followed them. For example, he completely skipped the part of Spain that I loved. If you know of another, better website that has all of Europe, categorized and easy-to follow, please, tell me. I've looked and never found anything as complete. I had a friend/acquaintance who took a trip with him. She didn't like it. They walked too much and she hated carrying her own stuff. I have never gone on any guided tours so I don't know about his, nor what to compare it with.

I am totally in agreement with Rick Steve's on packing light, however, I don't like to carry a backpack. I'd rather have a small rolling bag, but... there you go. I wouldn't pack more than I can personally move in one operation and without help. I'm no fashion plate, either, but I like to look reasonably neat and "fit in" with what everyone else is wearing.

PS -- About page 5... I have my display settings on my profile page set to 100 per web-page, so, I don't know page 5.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:03 pm
Page 5 on my screen was where you mentioned Steve's website on packing.

Well, hey, that vignette about Steve's being interviewed on our president does influence me...I won't be so quick to put him down now, Steves I mean.

I haven't looked at his or anybody else's website for travelling in Europe..I've only been to Italy, and got started doing that before websites became so handy.

My view of Steves has been from some old travelogues on TV...where I found
his comments very superficial. But that was a while ago, he might have changed by now, and I might have too.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
Hey! Hi!

Yes, that Steves' commentary was nearly "life-changing" for me. Wink

He has an odd way of talking which is somewhat off-putting and I understand what you mean about his travelogues. I think they may have gotten better or else I give him more slack now. Anyway, his website is packed full of good, up-to-date info. and has a place for comments by recent travelers, too, which can be v. interesting.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:59 pm
Are there specific dimensions on the size of an acceptable carry on? Or does it just have to be crammable into a specific sized space?

Reading the packing lists with great appreciation.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:20 pm
Sofia, check the website for the airline you're using. They each have different regulations about the size and number of carry-ons they'll allow.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:32 pm
I think most follow the rule; check in 62 inches (h,w,d) and 70 lbs, and carryon 45 inches (h not greater than 11.5 inches).
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:38 pm
Thanks.
We've been called by the transplant team--and told we have to fly, but not the airline or anything.

Was trying to get basic information, since I've never flown before.

Going Thursday. (Not for the liver--but the pre-liver medical olympics--unless someone ....provides a liver while we're there.)

I know not to try to light my shoes with a match,...but that's about all. I'm guessing my Ginsu knife collection is a no-no...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:43 pm
Your Ginsu might pass through in your check in, but 99 percent chance it won't in your carryon. Wink Have a safe trip.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
There are specific dimensions, Sofia, your airline website should say.

I'm flying on Northwest soon and their rules are:
Quote:
Each passenger is allowed one piece of carry-on luggage plus a briefcase/laptop computer/purse. In addition, each passenger may carry a coat, umbrella, or other "special" items. "Special" Items include crutches, cane, brace, prosthesis, collapsible manual wheelchair, one stroller, infant car seat, infant diaper bag, 2 Golf Clubs (if approved storage space is available) reading material, camera, two wheeled luggage cart provided combined cart and bag fits under the seat or overhead bin.

Carry-on luggage must fit underneath the passenger seat or in an overhead compartment. Maximum carry-on dimension is 22" x 14" x 9" (carry-on must fit in carry-on sizing box located at check-in counters), and maximum carry-on weight is 40 pounds. Maximum luggage is two pieces checked and one carry-on.

Alaska Airlines' carry-on dimension allowances are different:
Quote:
Each ticketed passenger is allowed only one carry-on bag plus one personal item, such as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. The carry-on bag can measure up to 10"H x 17"W x 24"L (25 x 43 x 61 cm). (Then they go on & on about sizes of duffle bags, etc.)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:50 pm
Thanks, ci and piffka.

As soon as we find out the airline, I'll get their info.

If you are a non-flying, like to be on the ground-type, does alcohol make it smoother, or scarier...? If you have motion sickness in cars, but not big boats...will you bark in a plane?

I guess I'd better take the Dramamine anyhoo.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:09 pm
I don't like to drink on planes... sometimes it makes me feel more motion sickness. It's better to tell your MD your fears and he/she will likely give you an Rx for a low dose of a pseudo-valium. THAT does help! You want something that will make you relaxed but not completely numb.

Motion sickness? Yes, you might bark, but probably not unless you eat a bunch of junk and then get turbulence. Pray you don't get turbulence! There's a patch that is supposed to be effective, more effective than a pill. Could also ask your MD about that. Make sure the dramamine is up-to-date, if that's what you take. If this really is a possibility, be sure to bring at least an extra shirt in your carry-on. Bummer.

What's this about the liver and etc.? I've apparently missed something again. It sounds like something extremely worrisome and, if so, I hope all goes well. Jeez, maybe I shouldn't have cut out that big section of the Alaska airlines regarding rules for people on stretchers and the amount of luggage THEY can bring. (A stretcher covers nine seats, I think it said, and they can take 18 pieces of luggage. Woohoo.)

Best wishes for your travels and health.
-Piffka
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:10 pm
I've never taken dramamine, have taken alcohol, heh. Alcohol is advised against and I do it anyway, that is, on a long flight, not on short ones... in a starter celebration, but I also drink plenty of water, dehydration being a plane flight problem. Realistically, alcohol agitates any sleep cycle and is sort of dumb. Still, I have one.

Then, get up. Get up and walk around, or just stand up, just move, even if the damned movie is on. Static muscles over a long time are not good for people who could get phlebitis, etc. (and who are they, exactly?), but also not great for everybody. Get up or at least twitch in your seat. Do isometric exercises or something. Getting up is not always easy with the endless coffee, etc. cart, but I have done it and felt better for it.

I don't know about your transplant thing, Sofia, am interested.

Jet lag is another whole subject. I once had a book about it with coffee deprivation for 24 hours before and then a slug of coffee on landing as the answer.. and it wasn't related to caffeine so much as something else in coffee. But I gave the book away, which is to say, I never got it back.

I think flight timing makes more sense, personally.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:20 pm
If you get motion sickness, there's a new electronic wrist band that you can get at some travel stores. It costs about $120, but worth every penny for those that get motion sickness easily. I used it on the Galapagos Islands last year, and our boat was literally rolling so hard, I was rolling on my bed, but never ever felt sick. I would also recommend you take ear plugs.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:30 pm
My husband has been horribly ill for a few years--and is finally supposed to recieve a liver.

In the nick of time, I think.

So, we're being flown to Virginia to do a week's worth of tests and so forth.

Then, when a liver becomes available--we have four hours to get back to VA. The closest airport is 2 hours away. This is possibly what I need alcohol for...
---------
He was in the Armed Services for a while--was driving in the dark in a jeep in the snow...manuevers... They crashed. He recieved a blood transfusion--and as near as we know this planted the seed of Hepatitis C in him 26 years ago. We didn't know anything was wrong until 3 years ago. By then, he had full blown Hep C AND cirrhosis.

The kids and I tested negative. I don't trust the Hep C tests, though. I'd like a couple more before I relax.
0 Replies