Travel - packing tips!

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:47 am
I agree about the usefulness of Travelsmith clothes. Not only are most items no-iron, many are also hand-washable and quick to dry. I've had great luck with them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:57 am
I'd love to see your packing list, CI. You must have it down to a real science!

Travelsmith is great, Mac, I love to browse their catalogs but I mostly shop their sales since they are pricey!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:59 am
Same here, Piffka. I've bought several things off-season. Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 01:50 pm
Do Travelsmith actually have shops? And sales? I looked at their online site, and thought they were a bit expensive - bearing in mind the Oz dollar is worth about half the US dollar. I still think the black suit is a good idea, but perhaps not this trip?

Big decision - do I need shorts?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 02:01 pm
I live in shorts when I'm not at work! (At least 9 months out of the year anyway.)

What's the weather like? Have you looked? Sorry, I forget where you're going besides London...can't imagine you'll need shorts there.

www.weather.com
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 02:04 pm
About Travelsmith - as far as I know, they don't have shops. But there are lots of online sales. I also get their catalog.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 02:08 pm
I'm in London only a few days - I'm mostly in Sweden - for midsommar.We should be doing some boating of some sort on the lakes - so will probably take them - although that's one way of guaranteeing cold weather! Perhaps I should only take winter fleecy things - then at east the weather would be good.

At present, it's cold and damp - they'd better pick up their weather act in the next 2 weeks! Sheesh - the winter weather here is better! (except for the rain!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 02:13 pm
Pifka, Packing for a trip is not a science; it's an art. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 02:18 pm
Yikes - weather for Stockholm is worse that the weather here - and looks like continuinng that way - at least until I get there!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:31 pm
Here's the Rick Steves packing list for women... way more than I would take (4 pr. shorts??? come on!).

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0206/womenpack.htm

Rick Steves has great information, I think. A local boy who has made good and has a long-running show on public TV.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:40 pm
5 pairs of underwear - ok
1 extra bra? - huh? she must not need to wear one every day?

The list is a good starting point, though... Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:59 pm
Well, heck, I don't even wear one. Laughing Embarrassed Saves ALL KINDS of space.

The packing list I offered Margo at the beginning is what was distilled from my "use-it" theory of packing. I think of all the various activities I expected, then make sure I had an entire set of clothes, coat & shoes that would work for that activity.

The airplane outfit.
The museum and shopping outfit.
The special event outfit.
The hit-the-pubs outfit.
The hiking outfit.
The boating outfit.
The swimming outfit.
The comfy outfit. (This one is the most important for me... the slop around the place, don't even look at me clothes.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 04:17 pm
Here's a clue on what you need to pack. Go to www.weather.com, and find out what the climate/weather will be like at your destination - for both day and evening. If it's going to be a bit on the cool side, you can always bring a light sweater or jacket. Also consider what activities you are planning; you want to be prepared for the worst and the best. You don't want to be wearing shorts or dungaries to go eat at a nice restaurant. Good walking shoes is always a must. I try to bring one pair of shoes that will meet both casual and semi-formal needs. As a matter of fact, our brochure for the Machu Picchu and Galapagos trip suggested hiking boots, but I just took my comfy low-cut Rockport with some thick socks. It sufficed nicely for me, although the majority in our group did wear hiking boots. If you have weak ankles, a boot is highly recommended if you plan to walk on rocks and/or rough terrain. I also took shoe polish to give it a polish after it got all scruffed up on climbing rocks and lava plains. T-shirts and polo shirts always work out well, because they are so versatile. They can be layered to keep warm. I also try to take old and torn underwear that I can throw out after use. Above all, don't forget your meds. c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 04:19 pm
I just pack what Lovey tells me i need, an' then i fergit an leave half of it at home . . . oh well . . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:24 pm
Haha, Setanta, I've heard about you and your gazillion pairs of blue-jeans!

Yes, your Lovey seems to always have the most interesting things in her packed bags. Now there's a gal who sees a black suit as an affront and can always inspire the color-challenged.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:38 pm
Well - I've printed out the Rick Steves list. Yikes!

I'm sure I won't take anything like that much - even without the black suit. And what's with the extra bra? Vests? Dresses?

The weather in Sweden now seems to be much the same as winter in Sydney Confused I was hoping to get some sun before winter sets in!

What I particularly liked was the advice to pack your bag a week before your trip and carry it about for a day, to see if it's comfortable!

All is being taken on board - but I'll still only pack the day I go - I have a night flight.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 10:01 pm
margo, I don't see how Rick Steves can know anything about packing for a trip. He carries a back pack for his clothes and toiletries. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:16 am
Hey - I'm back!

I took notice of everyone's advice, read Rick Steves, used my own (extremely limited) common sense, and managed. (but still no list!)

Limited laundry facilities, and variable weather in the places I was going, meant that I needed 7 sets of clothes, more than I usually take. Everything got used except the swimsuit. Although at the same place and at the same time last year, my friends swam every day, this year it just wasn't warm enough. I waded into the lake at the bottom of the garden, and when the water reached my ankles I thought my feet would drop off with cold. So much for swimming. The place I needed the swimsuit was Switzerland, where it was 36 C (~96 F) at 6.30am. I was there for one day only and who'd expect that. The swimsuit missed the carry-on only baggage cut there. The hotel I stayed at on the way home had the pool emptied, for some reason, although it was warm enough, so there went my plan to exercise my way out of jetlag - it's 1.15am Sunday morning as I write this!

Anyway - well done all - and now to start planning for my next trip!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:26 am
Welcome home, Margo. Good to see you again. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:39 am
Hiya margo! Looking forward to your traveler's tales...
0 Replies