Worst big name movies.

Wilso

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:27 pm
There are heaps of cheap, poorly made movies. We've all seen them. But which big name, critically acclaimed or popular movie just bored you to tears or made you sick?

I'll start.

When Harry met Sally-tripe.
The Passion of the Christ-90 minutes of crap.
I can't remember the name of this one, but it was about a fake marriage and starred Andie McDowell and that overweight, overrated French guy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,430 • Replies: 71
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
'Big Fish'
'War of the Worlds'
'English Patient'

to start off with.....and the french guys name was Gerard de Pardeau
(something like that)
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:38 am
Spielbergs War of the worlds it didn't exactly make me sick but it was a waste of £3.75
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:59 am
Mel Gibson has a stack of crap next to his name. All of his films that are supposed to be "historical". Braveheart, Passion and The Patriot. 90% bollocks, the lot of 'em.

Independence Day. Utter tripe.

War of the Worlds. Could have been so much more.

Silent Movie (Mel Brooks). Fell asleep halfway through.

Evita. (Madonna). Even the bits that were supposed to be spoken were done in song. UGH!

The final jaws movie. One too many.

Most sequels, apart from Back to the future and a couple of others.

My problem with modern Hollywood, is that you KNOW that there is a 99.99% probability that the film will have a sugary/heroic happy ending.
I like a film that gives you no clue as to how it will end up, until the very end, if you know what I mean.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:08 am
Yes, the better ones are those that end badly, at least for me...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
Thank you. I hated Braveheart. Mel Gibson is such a dink. "Look at me. I'm a hero. Weeee...". Have you ever noticed that all his stories and movies are all the same?

To add to the list:

American Pie. Even as a teenager I wasn't that stupid. If you liked this movie, I lost respect for you.
Laughing

Any film + that John Cusack fellow. High Fidelity, America's Sweethearts, Must Love Dogs. Kill me. Kill me now.

It was funny when he helt that musicbox above his head in that 80's movie, but now he just must go away.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:52 am
Green Card (french bloke film)was fantastic!!
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:53 am
Worst big name movies.
I prefer happy endings, and I will not settle for less.

It's like setting a clock, then you let it freely run on its own, the way it was designed to do. When it goes off, it rings at the point you set it. Have you set your clock on "happiness" or "unhappiness"? It's your choice...
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:26 am
Flying Tiger Hidden Dragon........what a crock!!!!!!
Also can't get my head around Woody allen films........but,probably,that's just me Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:26 am
Re: Worst big name movies.
PoetSeductress wrote:

It's like setting a clock, then you let it freely run on its own, the way it was designed to do. When it goes off, it rings at the point you set it. Have you set your clock on "happiness" or "unhappiness"? It's your choice...

No, I don't think like that. A film should, IMO, take me on a roler coaster of emotion, and stimulate at least 50% of my grey matter, leaving me gasping at the end.

Classic? "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" probably made 90% of the original audience gasp. Quite unexpected.
Watching the modern stuff from hollywood just doesn't grip my attention, I'm afraid. It's OK for a rainy sunday afternoon, watching TV and eating popcorn, but not what I look for when going out to the cinema.
I want to see the titles go up at the end and say "Wow, I never saw THAT coming!"
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:32 am
Re: Worst big name movies.
Lord Ellpus wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:

No, I don't think like that. A film should, IMO, take me on a roler coaster of emotion, and stimulate at least 50% of my grey matter, leaving me gasping at the end.

Classic? "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" probably made 90% of the original audience gasp. Quite unexpected.
Watching the modern stuff from hollywood just doesn't grip my attention, I'm afraid. It's OK for a rainy sunday afternoon, watching TV and eating popcorn, but not what I look for when going out to the cinema.
I want to see the titles go up at the end and say "Wow, I never saw THAT coming!"

Did you not have your tea, today, Lord Ellpus?
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:34 am
Worst big name movies.
As for the worst big name movies, I would have to say "The Last Remake of Beau Geste" with Michael York and Ann-Margret (1977).

It was on a second date, and we were doubling. All three of them said the critics raved about it, and it would be an excellent movie. Well, to me, it was terrible. The scenery and photography was beautifully done, but everything else was not good. It was the most boring movie I had ever watched.

(But my date made me happy, anyway!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:29 am
Don't know if you are getting the expected responses, Wilso. The thread seems to be more "my little pet peeve of films I hate, whether or not they did big box office or received critical acclaim."
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
Worst big name movies.
Lightwizard wrote:
Don't know if you are getting the expected responses, Wilso. The thread seems to be more "my little pet peeve of films I hate, whether or not they did big box office or received critical acclaim."

Title of thread is not:

"Movies determined as worst by professional critics or success at box office."

It is simply:

"Worst big name movies."

I don't need some critic who doesn't represent me, to dictate to me what is good or not good. I don't give them the time of day. Also, some of the best movies made (which is a matter of personal opinion) have not necessarily made it "big" at the box office.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:06 am
Exactly the point -- that's not what the responses are representing. "Big name movies" to me are those that are hyped by the studios but don't deliver. That could mean they don't reach their box office potential and/or they don't get the critical response the stuido would like. It's a marketing game that is somethimes difficult to figure out. Wasn't sure what Wilso was getting at but your explanation doesn't help.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:07 am
I think WAr of the worlds was pants.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:12 am
Are we back to "War of the Worlds?" Is this a fixation?
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:26 am
Worst big name movies.
Rather than jumping in to critique the thread, Lightwizard, why not put forth what you consider the worst big name movie?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:33 am
Not sure what Wilso is asking but the biggest box office of recent years was Mel Gibson's

"Hannibal Wacks Christ."
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:41 am
Worst big name movies.
"Big name" is to movie as "super" is to model.
0 Replies