Worst big name movies.

Don1

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:23 pm
material girl wrote:
I think WAr of the worlds was pants.

material girl, just so I can try to keep up what does "pants" mean?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:39 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Lately, Light Wizard is all into showing everyone how many movie terms and stuff he knows....C'mon LW, loosen up...if our ignorance over the genre's or lighting or potential or critical acclaim is bugging you, don't participate in this thread....you're getting really annoying. and you've freakin' obssesed with Wotheworld.

Chai- LW has been in the movie business for many years. He has a huge store of knowledge, and loves to share it with the rest of us. I really appreciate it when he gives me some insight into some aspect of filmdom of which I am unaware.

I agree phoenix LW's contribution is more than welcome but LW must surely realise that we are simply lay people giving our opinions of whether we liked or disliked a particular film, we cant be expected to learn all there is to know about the art of film making simply so we can pass comment on whether we thought it was a stinker or not.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:35 pm
This has nothing to do with posting a topic and then giving an example that doesn't fit the topic. I pointed out that "Green Card" absolutely does not fit a "big movie" description and was questioning the meaning of Wilso's topic. Since he hasn't responded, I figured he meant movies that enjoy big box office. Or, rather, their producers enjoy the money they are making.

If you want to post that a movie is a stinker even if it is a duplicate post, you have that right. I also have the right to disagree. My conclusion can also be disagreed with. There is always room for debate on these threads but if anyone feels "inadequate," that's not my fault -- perhaps they should examine why they are being so sensitive about counter arguments on their declarations that something is "pure crap." Or perhaps they haven't re-read the title of this site -- it's "Able3Know," not "Able2ChatBrayTrollBlab."
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Supermodels get there because of their great looks and figure as well as poise -- not many movies can claim that unless they are starring a supermodel. Nope, "big name" does not correlate to "super." Otherwise, there's only one -- "Superman."

A "big name" doesn't necessarily mean that the movie was a good one (which is a matter of personal taste). Nonetheless, it well-known, and is therefore considered a "big name" movie.

A "super" model isn't necessarily the prettiest model (because beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Nonetheless, she is well-known, and therefore considered a "super" model.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:46 pm
That's so off target and I have to get to work so I haven't time to reply. Just out of the starting gate, I didn't say "prettiest model," and secondly, "Green Card' is not a wel-known movie. Your rhetoric is painful.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:50 pm
Worst big name movies.
Lightwizard wrote:
That's so off target and I have to get to work so I haven't time to reply. Just out of the starting gate, I didn't say "prettiest model," and secondly, "Green Card' is not a wel-known movie. Your rhetoric is painful.

Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up, and call me in the morning.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:53 pm
I think the thing with Green Card is it was trumpeted as the first major US film for Gerard Depardue(sp), a homely Frenchman that the women were going gaga over at the time. The movie did suck mainly because Andy McDowell was in it.

Four Weddings and a Funeral sucked for the same reason, Andy McDowell.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:32 am
barrythemod wrote:

Also can't get my head around Woody allen films........but,probably,that's just me Embarrassed

It's not just you.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:37 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Wilso was doing fine with his first two films and then "Green Card" which was not a "big film" -- generally bad reviews and terrible box office. Ya see where it isn't making sense?

"Green Card" was very highly promoted here, so from my POV it's a "big name" movie. And they really raved about the fat french dude.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:41 am
Another one just popped in to my head. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I've tried a couple of times, but have never been able to see this movie through.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:12 am
"Close Encounter" is slow going but the payoff is worth it. Now that film does qualify as a "big movie."

Peter Weir, the Australian director who gave us "The Last Wave" and "Picnic At Hanging Rock" as wells as the recent "Master and Commander" was likely the reason "Green Card" was getting more promotion in Australia. It did about $29M which, for that time, was not horrible but I still wouldn't call it a big movie -- it was the worst reviewed Peter Weir film. In retrospect, it doesn't even seem like the same director as "Master and Commander." Perhaps Weir should stay away from comedy. What Gerard's looks have to do with it is debatable -- he starred in some of the best French films.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:48 am
I loved "Green Card" - as it took me a while to get mine, I probably can relate to it better;)

I found "Titanic" completely overrated. The original movie
was far better....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
Which original movie?

I'm assuming the British film "A Night to Remember" which is a classic, not the other Hollywood product in black-and-white also entitled "Titanic."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:12 am
Yes, Lightwizard, "A Night to Remember" was the original
I thought of. I believe they even implemented actual
footage of the Titanic departure (as it was available).

It was a very moving and sad movie that left one almost
devastated at the end. Of course, no one knows what
really took place on that ship, but to me that was the most
authentic version.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
The fictional story in James Cameron's version didn't bother me -- Cameron admitted he made a $100M chick flick. His version has been lauded by Titanic experts as very authentic to the actual event. "A Night to Remember" did not have the extensive facts of the sinking revealed in diving down to the Titanic, which James Cameron actually did himself in order to make the film. "Ghosts of the Abyss," Cameron's IMAX movie of the disaster may be more enjoyable and illuminating to those who have an aversion to the fictional story (ripped out of the pages of a Dicken's novel). The special effects in "A Night to Remember" while good cannot compare.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:14 am
Just thought of another real bummer, Kevin Costners The Postman, in a post apocalyptic world Costner finds a postmans bag full of letters and decides to deliver them.

There are no houses left standing in North America so quite where our hero thinks he is going to deliver them to isn't quite clear.

sample dialogue:

woman: you are a true american hero

costner: no maam I'm just the postman
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:27 am
I think the title may be one reason that was a turkey, but I've never been able to get past the first reel without abject boredom closing in. The critics also hated that movie. Notice it had an $80M cost! It was actually never a "big" movie although I'm wondering if Costner never expected it to do well. I think he was trying to make an art house film and was incapable of it.

THE POSTMAN

Domestic Total Gross: $17,626,234
Distributor: Warner Bros. Release Date: December 25, 1997
Running Time: N/A Production Budget: $80 million
MPAA Rating: R

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $17,626,234
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:27 am
Incidentally if anyone starts a thread on the corniest line spoken in cinematic history I nominate the above.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:31 am
Here's the terrible critical response:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/postman/

Could be why it bombed at the box office and a good reason to maybe check the reviews before paying out ten or twenty bucks (or more if one has a family -- 'course that film was R rated).

There was a thread on bad movie lines, Don, but it finally ran itself out. Why not start a new one?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:42 am
Costner didn't redeem himself as a producer and director until "Open Range," a very good Western.

As far as his "big" movies, "Waterworld" opened to luke warm reviews, cost $170M to make and only did about $88M domestic. Even with the world wide figures, it did about $264M and since the studio after promotional costs only takes home about 45%, it lost money big time. Who have him the money to make "The Postman" is now in therepy.

Here's "Waterworlds" reviews and Rotten Tomatoe rating of 35% favorable reviews. Those reviewers are also in therepy:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/waterworld/
0 Replies