Search for missing cat blessed by Dalai Lama

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:43 pm
Search for missing cat blessed by Dalai Lama

MANY Buddhists never experience a face-to-face encounter with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, let alone a cat from Edinburgh.

But when the 14th incarnation of the Buddha of Compassion visited the Capital last year, the Nobel Peace Prize winner happily blessed a furry namesake.

Dalai the cat's brush with Buddhism, however, seems to have had an undesirable effect on his wellbeing - for he has now been missing from his Liberton home for almost two weeks.

Owner Tracie Knight today revealed she feared the disappearance of Dalai the cat was linked to her failure to fulfil a vow to stop smoking.

Miss Knight is desperate to be reunited with her 17-month-old pet. One theory behind his disappearance is that he is on the lookout for female friends, as he has not been neutered.

Miss Knight, of Backlee, Liberton, is a Buddhist and keen amateur photographer who was asked by the Edinburgh Interfaith Association to help document the Dalai Lama's visit to the Capital last November.

"When speaking in the Usher Hall, the Dalai Lama was asked whether he was a cat or a dog man, and he replied that he was a cat man," said Miss Knight.

http://images.scotsman.com/2006/02/27/27lamb.jpg
The Dalai Lama during his visit to the city.

"I did not think it would have been possible to bring a cat along, but I was delighted that he later agreed to give him a blessing outside his hotel on the High Street.

"He really listened to me and I told him that I named it after him. He smiled and thought it was funny.

"He is very calm and not disturbed by anything. He seems to have all his emotions under control and creates an atmosphere before he even arrives and has a powerful but calm presence.

"He is into animals and stroked its head and gave it a kiss. It was the best weekend of my life.

"Before I got the picture done I made a promise to the universe and God and said if he allowed me to get this picture I would stop smoking, so I think it is my karma for not stopping. But I'm determined to stop if I get him back."

She said she thoroughly enjoyed accompanying His Holiness on various engagements throughout the city. "We went to the Scottish Parliament and I was drawn to him so much that I held his hand and he held my hand and we walked down the stairs of the parliament together."

Miss Knight, 26, her six-year-old son Ethan and twin cat Wanna Boy are greatly missing Dalai.

"He's never been away longer for two days before," she added.

"I haven't had him neutered and the Cat and Dog Home have said he might be looking for girl cats. He's shaped a bit like a puma, he's a bit bigger than a normal cat and is blond."

Miss Knight has been searching the streets of Liberton for Dalai and is anxious about his safety.

"If there was a child who found it I would be happy for him or her to keep Dalai, as long as I knew he was safe and well," she added.

Yael Weisz-Rind, campaigns manager of the Free Tibet Campaign, said she was not surprised His Holiness had chosen to bless the cat. "Compassion is such an important element in Buddhism to every creature on Earth, be it an insect or a cat or a human being," she added.

• The Dalai Lama was born Lhamo Dhondrub in 1935 into a Tibetan peasant family. His Holiness was recognised aged two as the reincarnation of his predecessor the 13th Dalai Lama, and thus an incarnation of Avalokitesvara, the Buddha of Compassion. He soon became the head of state and spiritual leader of the Tibetan people.

His efforts to bring about a peaceful solution to Sino-Tibetan conflict were thwarted and His Holiness fled to India where he was given political asylum. Some 80,000 Tibetan refugees followed him into exile. He has resided in Dharamsala, India, known as "Little Lhasa", the seat of the Tibetan Government-in-exile, since 1960.

Several western universities and institutions have conferred peace awards and honorary doctorate degrees in recognition of His Holiness' writings in Buddhist philosophy and for his leadership in the resolution of international conflicts, human rights issues and global environmental problems. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 0
No top replies