Soldiers in Iraq know they are fighting and dying for a lie

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:08 pm
dlowan wrote:
Your assumptions re the questions are clearly based on no evidence at all.

Why not do your homework before making such statements?

This is not evidence?

"Four in five said they oppose the use of such internationally banned weapons as napalm and white phosphorous."

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:11 pm
parados wrote:
The use of machine guns is not banned completely either then. It is illegal to use them in certain circumstances.

I'd say not banned at all (within the context of military use).

Saying that you can't misuse something is not a ban on it. A ban would prevent you from having it in the first place.

parados wrote:
The poll questions WERE set by Zogby.

Quote:
Zogby developed the questions for the survey, following its time-honored principles of fairness and even-handedness, in order to produce the most accurate results possible. Once the survey instrument was completed, Le Moyne reviewed it and approved the script. Zogby maintained complete editorial control over the instrument at all times, under the direction of Pollster John Zogby himself.

http://www.zogby.com/iraqwarpoll.cfm

I think my opinion of Zogby just dropped.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:13 pm
parados wrote:
Without the question, I can't tell whether the question included "internationally banned" in it. It could be an editorial comment in publishing the results.

So Zogby asked honest questions, and then added dishonest characterizations when presenting the answers?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:39 am
Zogby did the poll for LeMoyne..

What makes you think LeMoyne didn't write the articles based on the Zogby numbers? Lemoyne commissioned it so would own it. I don't think Zogby can just release information from polls they did for people. Zogby posts news stories about its polls.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:44 am
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
The use of machine guns is not banned completely either then. It is illegal to use them in certain circumstances.

Saying that you can't misuse something is not a ban on it. A ban would prevent you from having it in the first place.

Simple grammar Oralley. Read my sentence. I never said an item was banned. I said the use of an item is banned under certain circumstances.
Banned refers to the noun use.

A smoking ban doesn't mean cigerettes are banned. It means the use of cigerettes is banned.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:03 am
So let's see. Handguns aren't being banned in San Francisco because cops can still have them.

This is the new right-wing tactic, the semantics lie.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:53 am
And they are soooo good at it, too. But I've begun to believe they might trip themselves up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:24 pm
parados wrote:
Zogby did the poll for LeMoyne..

What makes you think LeMoyne didn't write the articles based on the Zogby numbers? Lemoyne commissioned it so would own it. I don't think Zogby can just release information from polls they did for people. Zogby posts news stories about its polls.

I don't know where the dishonesty came from. I just know that something somewhere isn't right with it.

This wasn't a copy of a news story, though it is true that they reprint news stories too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

Simple grammar Oralley. Read my sentence. I never said an item was banned. I said the use of an item is banned under certain circumstances.
Banned refers to the noun use.

I don't see how "the use of machineguns" could reasonably be called banned either, simply because of a prohibition against intentionally targeting civilians.

parados wrote:
A smoking ban doesn't mean cigerettes are banned. It means the use of cigerettes is banned.

The term "ban on use of cigarettes" would imply that there was a widespread prohibition against using them.

There is no widespread prohibition against a military using either napalm or machineguns.

Now, if you were to say there is a ban on intentionally targeting civilians, that would be accurate.
0 Replies