Soldiers in Iraq know they are fighting and dying for a lie

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
oralloy wrote:
snood wrote:
How d'ya figure that? All reports are that we used Napalm in Iraq, so how do you figure we "adhered" to the convention?

All our aircraft-delivered napalm was against Iraqi Army outposts guarding bridges we wanted to cross (at least according to the news articles).

I am presuming that there were not large concentrations of civilians near these outposts, especially since everyone knew the US military was approaching.

But - (leaving aside your presumption about who got fried) the convention was against the use of the weapon. NOT the use of the weapon against civilians.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 04:12 pm
snood wrote:
But - (leaving aside your presumption about who got fried) the convention was against the use of the weapon. NOT the use of the weapon against civilians.

That is incorrect. The convention did not ban napalm. It merely set restrictions on how it could be used, to reduce the probability of collateral damage.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
isn't 'collateral damage' a wonderful expression .
it's so smooth and comforting .

someone knocking on the golden gates demanding admittance .
st. peter : 'why are you here ?'
'i'm here because i'm collateral damage'
st. peter : ' come on in , there are already a few hundred-thousand of your kind here'

(makes me shiver) hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:03 pm
Yep.

Like it matters a **** to fried civilians (or anyone else for that matter...the use of napalm is unspeakable) if they were intended targets, or burned horribly by "error"....like civilians are not gonna die in such activities.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:09 pm
I remember this time some dude came up to me and said "Hey boy, watcha fighting for?" I told him right off "I'm fighting to stop the communists from completing their domino takeover of western civilization" that's what I told him, I did. Then I shot him in the knees.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
dlowan wrote:
Yep.

Like it matters a **** to fried civilians (or anyone else for that matter...the use of napalm is unspeakable) if they were intended targets, or burned horribly by "error"....like civilians are not gonna die in such activities.

I think it unlikely that there were many civilians hanging around Iraqi Army bridge outposts as the US military was approaching.

I see no reason to believe that any civilians died.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:44 pm
You think it unlikely, huh? Well, shoot - what the hell is the problem, then?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:56 pm
snood wrote:

The problem is this: "Four in five said they oppose the use of such internationally banned weapons as napalm and white phosphorous."

I question the validity of any poll that would ask such a misleading question.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:57 pm
oralloy wrote:
snood wrote:

The problem is this: "Four in five said they oppose the use of such internationally banned weapons as napalm and white phosphorous."

I question the validity of any poll that would ask such a question.

Well I question the validity of your presumptions. So everybody's got questions, I guess.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:05 pm
snood wrote:
Well I question the validity of your presumptions. So everybody's got questions, I guess.

The only presumption I made was that there were unlikely to be any civilians in the area.

You think there were lots of civilians hanging out next to Iraqi Army positions as the US military approached???
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:10 pm
oralloy wrote:
snood wrote:

The only presumption I made was that there were unlikely to be any civilians in the area.

You think there were lots of civilians hanging out next to Iraqi Army positions as the US military approached???

I could engage in this, but that's going around the milky way to get from Trenton to Albany.

I think we need the hell out of Iraq, as quickly as possible. I think more and more people are coming to that very reasonable conclusion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:16 pm
snood wrote:
I think we need the hell out of Iraq, as quickly as possible. I think more and more people are coming to that very reasonable conclusion.

That could be.

If we decide to leave before the Iraqi government stabilizes, we should make sure the country splits into three parts to ensure that a dictator doesn't arise to oppress the other ethnic groups of Iraq.

We might want to stay in Kurdistan in such a case though, to protect the Kurds from Turkey.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:24 pm
...or, we might not be able to "fix" anything there, at all...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:29 pm
snood wrote:

Maybe.

All we can do is try.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:32 pm
oralloy wrote:
snood wrote:

Maybe.

All we can do is try.

Yeah, one has to "try", and one has to know when to stop, as well.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:34 pm
Maybe we can pull out and leave our schmuck president behind and let the three factions decide what to do with him.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:50 pm
Last year, there were 3 Iraqi battalions who were trained to provide security. Now there are zero!!! We are going backwards!

Anyone who can't see this is a losing proposition is delusional.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 07:59 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I remember this time some dude came up to me and said "Hey boy, watcha fighting for?" I told him right off "I'm fighting to stop the communists from completing their domino takeover of western civilization" that's what I told him, I did. Then I shot him in the knees.

Why?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:25 pm
As soon as the Iraqi government stabalizes? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

mans

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:27 pm
oh, you Americans are so lucky! you can kick off Pres. Bush after three terms, whereas i'm stuck with Johnny for who knows how long. Sad
0 Replies