Soldiers in Iraq know they are fighting and dying for a lie

Zippo

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:24 pm
March 1, 2006

Soldiers in Iraq know they are fighting and dying for a lie

by Doug Thompson

http://www.opednews.com

Nearly three-quarters of the American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should withdraw within the next year and 29 percent feel we should get the hell out of the war immediately, a poll of military personnel serving in country reveals.

This jives with emails I've been getting from soldiers over the past several months and it confirms that those serving on the ground in the war don't share the rosy optimism painted by the Bush administration about the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

"Man, this gig has FUBAR written all over it," says a Marine who has served in Iraq for seven months. "Morale is the pits and nobody in our unit thinks we should be here."

The poll, conducted by Zogby International, offers a rare look into the mindset of fighting men and women serving in a war zone. That mindset is, to say the least, reflective of growing American unrest over a war based on false information and outright lies.

Among the findings by Zogby:

* Only 23 percent agree with the President's position that we should "stay in Iraq as long as needed."

* 85 percent of those surveyed felt they were fighting the war "to retaliate for Saddam's role in the 9-11 attacks," although the 9-11 commission in 2004 found "no credible evidence" that Iraq had cooperated with al-Qaida in the attacks.

* 68 percent said they believed that the real reason for the war was simply to remove Saddam Hussein from power.

* 40 percent say the Iraqi insurgency is mostly homegrown, with very little foreign involvement - a direct contradiction of claims by the Bush administration.

* 55 percent flatly oppose using torture and other harsh interrogation methods on prisoners.

"Ninety-three percent said that removing weapons of mass destruction is not a reason for U.S. troops being there," says John Zogby, President and CEO of Zogby International. "Instead, that initial rationale went by the wayside and, in the minds of 68% of the troops, the real mission became to remove Saddam Hussein."

In another direct contradiction of stated White House policy, just 24% said that "establishing a democracy that can be a model for the Arab World" was the main or a major reason for the war.

Zogby interviewed the 944 soldiers at various locations throughout Iraq. Three quarters of the troops had served multiple tours and had a longer exposure to the conflict: 26% were on their first tour of duty, 45% were on their second tour, and 29% were in Iraq for a third time or more.

The Pentagon did not cooperate with Zogby in the survey and is trying to downplay the significance of the soldiers' responses but offered conflicting responses. In one released statement, the military brass said the troop comments were not valid because "troops in a combat zone are likely to express negative views of their situation."

Then Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Barry Venable tried a different spin.

"The poll's findings certainly aren't reflective of the attitudes we see displayed by the majority of troops, who are performing in a remarkable manner in a combat situation far from home," Venable said. I asked Venable's office for any polls the military had conducted on troop attitudes and morale and they admitted they had not done any surveys but added that they based their conclusions on reports from "commanders in the field."

Emails received almost daily from soldiers in the field confirm Zogby's findings and say Pentagon claims of success and high morale are, as one National Guardsman said: "Pure unmitigated bullshit."

Their emails, and now Zogby's findings, show these men and women who put their lives on the line day in and day out do so for a war they fully know was based on false pretenses and they are fighting and dying for a cause that doesn't exist.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_doug_tho_060301_soldiers_in_iraq_kno.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,667 • Replies: 68
No top replies

stevewonder

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:30 pm
but whats peoples opinions gotta do with the Bush administration........as Rumsfeld said....'i dont do opinion polls' ....another way of giving the finger to democracy.

As long as its not their own yellow belly chicken **** asses on the line or their own kids.......its a price worth paying.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:08 am
Re: Soldiers in Iraq know they are fighting and dying for a
The poll is bogus -- filled with leading and misleading questions.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 07:31 am
oralloy wrote:

Cognitive dissonance yet again.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
oralloy

It must be bogus since the results do not follow the administrations lies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:15 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Pointing out the fact that this poll is bogus and filled with leading and misleading questions has nothing to do with cognitive dissonance.

I am quite comfortable with my thought processes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:19 pm
au1929 wrote:
oralloy

I accept that all politicians lie. However, most of the allegations that I have heard regarding Bush lying are highly suspect.

The reason the poll is bogus is because it was designed to give a skewed result by using leading and misleading questions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
could you point out a few of the leading and misleading questions.?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:41 pm
oralloy wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Pointing out the fact that this poll is bogus and filled with leading and misleading questions has nothing to do with cognitive dissonance.

I guess that self-realization is not your strong suit either. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:59 pm
Roxxxanne Very Happy
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:

The one that says that napalm and white phosphorus are banned.

When poll questions contain outright lies, the poll is invalid.

One article even implied that the poll claimed napalm had been used in Fallujah. But I'm not sure whether that lie was part of the poll, or whether the reporter added the lie to embellish their story.

Regardless, the poll is nonsense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:40 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
oralloy wrote:

You can be quite childish when confronted with reality.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:45 pm
oralloy wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

The one that says that napalm and white phosphorus are banned.

When poll questions contain outright lies, the poll is invalid.

One article even implied that the poll claimed napalm had been used in Fallujah. But I'm not sure whether that lie was part of the poll, or whether the reporter added the lie to embellish their story.

Regardless, the poll is nonsense.

You are saying that napalm is NOT banned?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:46 pm
oralloy wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
oralloy wrote:

You can be quite childish when confronted with reality.

Reality? LOL
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:52 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

Correct. Napalm is not banned.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 02:37 pm
oralloy wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Correct. Napalm is not banned.

The thing is, most civilized countries signed the 1980 UN Convention that banned the use of Napalm. The US did not. That might explain the slight misunderstanding...

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2003-08/10/article10.shtml
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
snood wrote:
The thing is, most civilized countries signed the 1980 UN Convention that banned the use of Napalm. The US did not. That might explain the slight misunderstanding...

The convention did not ban napalm. It merely set restrictions on how it could be used, to reduce the probability of collateral damage.

It appears that we adhered to the convention in Iraq despite not being a party to it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:36 pm
oralloy wrote:
snood wrote:

The convention did not ban napalm. It merely set restrictions on how it could be used, to reduce the probability of collateral damage.

It appears that we adhered to the convention in Iraq despite not being a party to it.

How d'ya figure that? All reports are that we used Napalm in Iraq, so how do you figure we "adhered" to the convention?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
au1929 wrote:
oralloy

I challenge you to name one administration lie. And if you dare to answer, please do not merely give me a link to 1,000 vague claims. Just tell me one specific lie. I doubt that you can.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:46 pm
snood wrote:
How d'ya figure that? All reports are that we used Napalm in Iraq, so how do you figure we "adhered" to the convention?

All our aircraft-delivered napalm was against Iraqi Army outposts guarding bridges we wanted to cross (at least according to the news articles).

I am presuming that there were not large concentrations of civilians near these outposts, especially since everyone knew the US military was approaching.
0 Replies