Child protection laws are anti-catholic

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:01 am
Denver Archbishop Charles Chaput delights in chastising Catholic politicians who disagree with him on moral issues, claiming they must be held accountable for disobeying church doctrine.

But the archbishop then rebukes politicians who want to hold his church accountable for appalling violations of our moral and legal codes, the sexual abuse of children by pedophile priests his church protected for decades. He charges legislators who propose extending the statute of limitations for lawsuits against child molesters and the institutions that hid them with being anti-Catholic.
That's a classic case of deflection, cynically attempting to cast doubt on the credibility of your challengers by assigning illegitimate motives to them. These legislators, some lifelong Catholics, aren't anti-Catholic; they're anti-child abuse.

The archbishop wants any legislation to apply equally to public as well as private institutions. That's fine. Public schools must report incidents of child abuse to legal authorities. For decades, the Catholic Church not only did not obey the laws that require reporting of child abuse, but actively moved deviant priests from parish to parish to cover up their abhorrent behavior. By doing that, they were exposing another group of children to abuse by those same priests.
http://www.denverpost.com/schoettler/ci_3544816
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,726 • Replies: 27
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:44 am
Interesting......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:57 am
It does not shock me that a someone in the Catholic hierarchy is saying this. The Catholic Church has been involved in a conspiracy to protect pedophile priests for many decades.

The only thing that they can do is to deflect the issue, and hope that people fall in line with their twisted thinking.

I would be curious as to what would happen if a group of men who had been abused by the Catholic clergy would file a huge class action suit against the church itself. I wonder, if an ongoing conspiracy could be proven, if it would nullify the statute of limitations on some of the older cases of abuse.

Can anyone with legal knowledge answer to that?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:59 am
Why just men?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:01 am
perfectly said Phoenix
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:02 am
dlowan wrote:
Why just men?

Not just men. I worded that badly. At the time I was thinking of those poor little altar boys who were sold a bill of goods by perverted priests who used them for their own sick pleasures. Certainly, if a woman were involved, it would be just as relevent.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:03 am
The statute has been nullified here...for all the good it does most of the time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:10 am
As far as I know, the cases that have been tried, have been of particular priests. I don't know if anyone has attempted to try, if not the church itself, the diocese that shuttled the pedophiles from one parish to another.

Out of curiosity, I was "Googling" around, and found this. It is enough to make your hair stand on end.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/pa_philadelphia/Philly_GJ_report.htm
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:19 pm
It does not matter if it is against their beliefs or not. Laws should not provide exemptions for those who believe in a flying spaghetti monster.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:26 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
As far as I know, the cases that have been tried, have been of particular priests. I don't know if anyone has attempted to try, if not the church itself, the diocese that shuttled the pedophiles from one parish to another.

Out of curiosity, I was "Googling" around, and found this. It is enough to make your hair stand on end.

Then Phoenix multiply that by every state in the USA and then Europe, and then the world and you start to get an idea of just how vile catholic priests and the catholic church is that goes to any lengths to cover up their filthy crimes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:38 pm
Don1- I never like to paint with too broad a brush. In this case though, there apparently appears to be some sort of a conspiracy afoot. I would be curious as to whether it involves the individual dioceses, or are the "marching orders" authorizing the coverup, coming directly from the Vatican!
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
Phoenix, If the catholic church upon uncovering the activities of paedophile priests turned them in to the police I would say fair enough, but they don't do that, they move them to another city, in other words they sweep the problem under the carpet and thats why I find the catholic church so revolting.

Incidentally I should point out that I speak from direct experience, and whilst I'm not catholic I used to go to a youth club when I was a boy that was run by a priest.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:19 am
I have been in the forefront of the group that argues that the Catholic Church should never consecrate any priest who is a homosexual. Not only is this dangerous to the people he encounters( because of his title and stature as a "priest") but because homosexuality is viewed as anaethma by Papal authority.

Some think that as many as 50% of Priests may be homosexuals. Doubtlessly, some of these homosexuals are celibate but, insofar as homosexuality does not stay constant all through life, there is danger that the initial celibate homosexual will change before the end of his career, or that homosexuality will morph, as it frequently does, into pederasty!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:27 am
As does heterosexuality, oh you whose corpus callosum is manifestly surplus to requirement.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:30 am
I certainly hope that your knowledge concerning homosexual priests who practice pederasty is not as lacking as your evident ignorance about the Corpus Callosum. It is usually people who know little or nothing about neurology who make idiotic remarks.

First of all, there is no way that anyone can diagnose the lack of a corpus callosum without a thorough examination of the subject--Your joke falls flat.

Secondly, One can live without a corpus callosum and fully 15% of people who do not have a working corpus callosum have normal intelligence.

I would suggest that you do a little more reasearch before you show your stunning ignorance on the subject!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:07 pm
mele42846- Rule #1- Do not mess with the bunny.

Quote:
One can live without a corpus callosum and fully 15% of people who do not have a working corpus callosum have normal intelligence.

I assume that you know this from personal experience! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:39 pm
mele42846 wrote:
I certainly hope that your knowledge concerning homosexual priests who practice pederasty is not as lacking as your evident ignorance about the Corpus Callosum. It is usually people who know little or nothing about neurology who make idiotic remarks.

First of all, there is no way that anyone can diagnose the lack of a corpus callosum without a thorough examination of the subject--Your joke falls flat.

Secondly, One can live without a corpus callosum and fully 15% of people who do not have a working corpus callosum have normal intelligence.

I would suggest that you do a little more reasearch before you show your stunning ignorance on the subject!

And Iwould suggest you do a GREAT deal more research before making your stupid and bigoted comments about homosexual versus heterosexual abuse of children by priests whether catholic or otherwise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
mele42846- Rule #1- Do not mess with the bunny.

Quote:
One can live without a corpus callosum and fully 15% of people who do not have a working corpus callosum have normal intelligence.

I assume that you know this from personal experience! Rolling Eyes

Lol! Clearly.

And, our friend needs to ponder about WHY a person might have no need of one.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:58 pm
The Catholic church has the answer. It's called confession. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
Actually, the only thing we probably CAN be sure about in relation to all this is that we ought not not be ordaining men, since overwhelmingly, on the available evidence, men are the ones likely to be sexually abusing folk.

Of course, with experience, I have become so guarded in my predictions re such things, that I am not at all sure that, given the same power and opportunity, if we act on rationality and allow only women to be ordained, that women would not begin acting in the same way.
0 Replies