An open letter to all those decent American's

okie

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:10 pm
boomerang wrote:
okie, anton is inviting you to walk a mile in someone else's shoes and you can't figure it out.

Imagine if someone decided to impose their beliefs and system of government on the U.S.

Would you sit still and let it happen?

Or would you fight back?

The difference between a patriot and a terrorist truly does depend on which side you're watching from.

We are not imposing our beliefs and system on anybody. They are free to form their own government. This discussion gets so tiresome. Where in the world do you get these whacko ideas? If we operated like they would desire, we would simply wipe them off the map, as some of them have proposed for Israel. Why in the world do some of those people blame all of their ills on everybody else but themselves?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:37 am
boomerang wrote:
okie, anton is inviting you to walk a mile in someone else's shoes and you can't figure it out.

Imagine if someone decided to impose their beliefs and system of government on the U.S.

Would you sit still and let it happen?

Or would you fight back?

The difference between a patriot and a terrorist truly does depend on which side you're watching from.

Why doesn't it depend on whether someone has committed terrorist acts?

One could fight back using guerilla warfare, for example, and target the opposing military instead of targeting civilians like a terrorist does.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:41 am
okie wrote:
We are not imposing our beliefs and system on anybody. They are free to form their own government.

Well, we are insisting that they include 25% women in the government, that the Kurds have autonomy, and that the Iraqi system be democratic.

However, I think the majority of Iraqis have no problem with these conditions.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:48 am
okie wrote:
You have either knowingly or unknowingly revealed your twisted mindset. So a terrorist is almost, just maybe, a "patriot" in your way of thinking. Americans are not terrorists in any way shape or form. Such delusional thinking is an offense and an insult to all decent people around the world. And your type of thinking is truly sick.

I am not surprised by your lack of comprehension, so I will type this slowly and perhaps you will understand. It is a very fine line between a terrorist and a patriot; it all depends on which side of the line you are standing.
We in the Western World see al-Qaeda as a terrorist group but their compatriots, their country men see them as Patriots fighting a great Western evil, to them we are the terrorists but from our perspective they are the terrorists and we are the patriots … Is that clear enough for you?

okie wrote:
We are not imposing our beliefs and system on anybody. They are free to form their own government. This discussion gets so tiresome. Where in the world do you get these whacko ideas? If we operated like they would desire, we would simply wipe them off the map, as some of them have proposed for Israel. Why in the world do some of those people blame all of their ills on everybody else but themselves?

Perhaps you haven't heard?
They recently held democratic elections in Palestine, a concept the Bush regime has been pushing in the Middle East for a long time Now it has happened and the Palestinian people have voted overwhelmingly for Hamas this US administration can't accept the reality of what has happened and are calling for a regime change.
The Palestinian people have spoken, it was democratic, the voice of the majority and the Bush regime is trying to make it null & void … If that isn't trying to impose on a Sovereign State I don't know what is … is it any wonder that America is becoming very unpopular around the world, if I was a citizen I would be concerned.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:28 am
anton wrote:

I am not surprised by your lack of comprehension, so I will type this slowly and perhaps you will understand. It is a very fine line between a terrorist and a patriot; it all depends on which side of the line you are standing. We in the Western World see al-Qaeda as a terrorist group but their compatriots, their country men see them as Patriots fighting a great Western evil, to them we are the terrorists but from our perspective they are the terrorists and we are the patriots … Is that clear enough for you?

I understand completely. Yes it is clear. So what? I simply disagree. I do not see them as patriots. Do you? Hitler thought he was a patriot also. Understanding someone does not compel me to agree with them or not oppose them.

Quote:
Perhaps you haven't heard?
They recently held democratic elections in Palestine, a concept the Bush regime has been pushing in the Middle East for a long time Now it has happened and the Palestinian people have voted overwhelmingly for Hamas this US administration can't accept the reality of what has happened and are calling for a regime change.
The Palestinian people have spoken, it was democratic, the voice of the majority and the Bush regime is trying to make it null & void … If that isn't trying to impose on a Sovereign State I don't know what is … is it any wonder that America is becoming very unpopular around the world, if I was a citizen I would be concerned.

If we wanted to impose on a sovereign state, we could simply take over their land and declare their government null and void, or support Israel in doing so. We did not stop them from electing Hamas. We are not however obligated to support it. Hamas is dedicated to destroying and totally eliminating the state of Israel, which was formed by the U.N. as a solution for the Jews because of the results of WWII and other desparate dictators, such as Hitler. Instead, we attempt to negotiate or encourage them to negotiate with Israel to live peacefully instead of killing and maiming. I do not see that as something we should be hated for, but rather admired. The terrorists obviously disagree. Decent people are not obligated to agree with them, nor should they ever agree with them.

If criminals think their acts are honorable, so what? Are you obligated to agree with them? If doing the right thing makes you unpopular, what can you do about it? I suppose your answer is to give in? Do you favor the total elimination of the state of Israel? Yes or no? If a country voted by their sacred majority to eliminate the country of Australia, and you oppose it, would you be trying to impose on a sovereign state? Your answer I guess would be yes. If 5 criminals voted to kill you, and you tried to stop them, is that imposing on their right to decide for themselves? In your way of thinking, I guess so.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:54 am
anton wrote:

...Perhaps you haven't heard?
The Palestinian people have spoken, it was democratic, the voice of the majority and the Bush regime is trying to make it null & void …

No they're not. You're delusional. I dare you to provide the tinies scrap of evidence to support this assertion.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:14 am
okie wrote:
Not all terrorists are worth their salt. And yes, many lies are told under duress, but I think experts will tell you that using interrogation techniques bordering on torture, and including torture, does in fact obtain some useful and factual information. I think this has been proven. I say again, I do not advocate torture, unless in the extreme examples wherein many lives, property, and environment are clearly at stake, which I do not think is that far fetched at all. My example is only one of countless scenarios that any president would need to contemplate as to what the responsible course of action would be.

I see where you are coming from on this, but I disagree. I think the ability of our government to support our international interests are being eroded daily by our stance on torture. I see this as real, ongoing damage to our ability to fight terrorism, promote human rights and extend democracy. The bad guys throw it in our faces and the good guys are too ashamed of us to join our efforts. To pay that price daily to support the concept that we need a cadre of torture experts in case of nuclear bomb (or similar senario) doesn't make sense to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:41 am
It amazes me that the bullshit peddlers in this thread claim we're not imposing our "values" on anyone, and yet we insist that Iraqis have "democracy," even though Iraq is an abortion of nation, established for the convenience of the English exploitation of their oil resources. The Sunnis and Shi'ites and Kurds never lived together in peace, and the Turks were not stupid enough to attempt to make them do so.

All we've done in the middle east is impose. There never was a democratic government in Iraq, and no one there ever wanted one. Each faction has always wanted dominance or independence.

It is the height of hubristic idiocy to show up, insist that they be "democratic," all the while planning to force them to "liberate" women (when it just ain't gonna happen) despite their religious prejudices, to unify, despite their religious and ethnic prejudice, and to wave the banner of democracy when we know that true democracy would lead to a Shi'ite, likely theocratic state, and sectarian and ethnic warfare.

The most that could pragmatically be expected in Iraq is that the Shi'ites would unite with the Kurds to take vengeance against the Sunnis. I have not the least doubt that the Shi'ites are suppressing violent reaction to Sunni provocation because they simply intend to wait us out, get rid of us, and then turn on the Sunnis and exterminate them (or at least attempt it). All the while, we've got idiots in this country parroting the stupidity of the neo-con assertions about democracy in the middle east, when all they've ever wanted was the oil.

You jackasses would buy anything if the **** merchant has the appropriate conservative credentials.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
boomerang wrote:
I was going to post something serious but I can't get the thought of a good wallow with Thomas out of my head....

Shocked
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:01 am
okie wrote:
but I think experts will tell you that using interrogation techniques bordering on torture, and including torture, does in fact obtain some useful and factual information. I think this has been proven.

Quote:
PARIS -- Morally wrong and politically dangerous, torture is also an ineffective way to gather intelligence, security experts, veterans and military officials warned Wednesday amid a raging controversy over US tactics in its war on terror.

Statements obtained through abusive interrogation techniques are unreliable and produce poor-quality intelligence, according to experts.

"There's a huge body of literature showing not only that torture doesn't work, but that it's counterproductive," US doctor Steve Miles, the author of a study on the Abu Ghraib prison scandal in Iraq, told Agence France-Presse.

"Any intelligence system has more data than it has analytical capability. And what torture does is to flood the analytic system with bad data," Miles said.

"You wind up making very bad policy decisions from that kind of advice. You also wind up alienating potential informants or potential recruits who are in the population," he said.

http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=3&story_id=59251

I'm sure I can find more if you need it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
FreeDuck wrote:
boomerang wrote:
I was going to post something serious but I can't get the thought of a good wallow with Thomas out of my head....

Shocked

Laughing (Here's the context, in case you missed it.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
I didn't miss it. I just couldn't resist.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:06 am
Setanta wrote:
It amazes me that the bullshit peddlers in this thread claim we're not imposing our "values" on anyone, and yet we insist that Iraqis have "democracy," even though Iraq is an abortion of nation, established for the convenience of the English exploitation of their oil resources. The Sunnis and Shi'ites and Kurds never lived together in peace, and the Turks were not stupid enough to attempt to make them do so.

All we've done in the middle east is impose. There never was a democratic government in Iraq, and no one there ever wanted one. Each faction has always wanted dominance or independence.

It is the height of hubristic idiocy to show up, insist that they be "democratic," all the while planning to force them to "liberate" women (when it just ain't gonna happen) despite their religious prejudices, to unify, despite their religious and ethnic prejudice, and to wave the banner of democracy when we know that true democracy would lead to a Shi'ite, likely theocratic state, and sectarian and ethnic warfare.

The most that could pragmatically be expected in Iraq is that the Shi'ites would unite with the Kurds to take vengeance against the Sunnis. I have not the least doubt that the Shi'ites are suppressing violent reaction to Sunni provocation because they simply intend to wait us out, get rid of us, and then turn on the Sunnis and exterminate them (or at least attempt it). All the while, we've got idiots in this country parroting the stupidity of the neo-con assertions about democracy in the middle east, when all they've ever wanted was the oil.

You jackasses would buy anything if the **** merchant has the appropriate conservative credentials.

Setanta, if some of your neighbors vowed to kill one of your best friends and also vowed to kill you, and made it known they were working on weapons and poison to accomplish the same, and some of them had been caught trespassing on your property and destroying some of your property, and you tried to counsel them to straighten out their dysfunctional families and mind their own business, and even had Social Services to visit with them and tell them they needed to change their way of thinking, and when some of them turned on each other and were killing each other, and the police were sent to try to help straighten them out so that responsible members of their families can get their houses in order, I suppose that would be regarded as imposing on them? Well, I think you are wrong.

The world community is supposed to be a civilized world, just like you desire to live in a civilized and safe community wherever you live. If it is not, then efforts need to be made to try to help the community out before the criminal element completely destroys it. I would submit to you that sitting inside your house looking out the window while some of the neighbors are burning other of your neighbors houses down and killing them is not exactly the responsible thing to do. And becoming a little bit involved is not exactly imposing on anybody that shouldn't be imposed on a little bit for safety reasons and in the interest of maintaining a civilized neighborhood. After all, we are not confiscating their houses and families. We are simply counseling and making it clear they need to live lawfully and peacefully with their neighbors.
0 Replies

Akaya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
okie wrote:

The world community is supposed to be a civilized world, just like you desire to live in a civilized and safe community wherever you live. If it is not, then efforts need to be made to try to help the community out before the criminal element completely destroys it. I would submit to you that sitting inside your house looking out the window while some of the neighbors are burning other of your neighbors houses down and killing them is not exactly the responsible thing to do. And becoming a little bit involved is not exactly imposing on anybody that shouldn't be imposed on a little bit for safety reasons and in the interest of maintaining a civilized neighborhood. After all, we are not confiscating their houses and families. We are simply counseling and making it clear they need to live lawfully and peacefully with their neighbors.

This is naivete in the grandest scale.
You are accepting a false premise by which you base your entire argument.
The so-called "world community" should be civilized. That is a truism. No one wants to be uncivilized or without peace, but as Noam Chomsky stated in one of his lectures, people/organizations want peace and civilization on their own terms.

This goes for the US especially.

I don't consider the actions of past and present administrations, the influence and clandestine activities of the government run CIA to be anything other than actions done solely out of self-interest.

Iraq is nothing more than a 21st century Nicaragua, Vietnam, or Panama, albeit with different scenarios being played out under different circumstances. The MO is to impose an American style democracy that is friendly to American business interests with an American style economy run by American corporations.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
okie wrote:
Setanta, if some of your neighbors vowed to kill one of your best friends and also vowed to kill you . . . [/qutoe]

Hussein and the Ba'ahtists did not vow to kill me, nor to attack the United States/

Quote:
. . . and made it known they were working on weapons and poison to accomplish the samej . . .

The Iraquis repeatedly denied that they had weapons of mass destruction or programs to manufacture them.

Quote:
. . . and some of them had been caught trespassing on your property and destroying some of your property . . .

Provide any evidence that the Iraquis, in any form of agency, were ever apprehended on American territory, destroying American property.

Quote:
. . . and you tried to counsel them to straighten out their dysfunctional families and mind their own business . . .

In international relations, one may loudly and publicly deplore the treatment a regime doles out to its people, but it has never been considered a basis for unilateral military action. We did not use the treatment of the Iraqi people as a causus belli before the war--that's just some horseshit your ilk came up with after the fact, when it became embarrassingly clear the we didn't know which palm tree they had parked their WoMD under, because we never found any WoMD. We didn't counsel, them--we forced them accept UN inspectors. Then, whe those inspectors did not find evidence of WoMD, we threatened them for not cooperating. When the inspectors said, excuse me, but they are cooperating, we then publicly slandered the inspectors and said we were going to invade them anyway. In all of this, "We" refers to the Idiot in Chief and his Forty Theives of Baghdad.

Quote:
. . . and even had Social Services to visit with them and tell them they needed to change their way of thinking . . .

Horseshit, this is the weakest part of a truly idiotic attempt at an analogy. There is no international equivalent to "Social Services," and we invaded Iraq without and express and explicit United Nations resolution to do so.

Quote:
. . . and when some of them turned on each other and were killing each otherj . . .

That did not occur until after we had invaded the country. There was an abortive attempt at an uprising in 1991, after Pappy Bush sent a false signal that he would support an uprising--but it was ruthlessly crushed and the Iraqis first learned what inveterate liars and how completely unreliable the Bush clan is.

Quote:
. . . and the police were sent to try to help straighten them out so that responsible members of their families can get their houses in order, I suppose that would be regarded as imposing on them?

We are not the police, and the world does not consider us the police, and the world, in its overwhelming majority, did not want us to invade Iraq. The world at large was justifiably alarmed at the prospect.

There is little point in discussing such a topic with you if you are just going to make sh!t up when you get in a tight corner, and can't face the truth.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:23 pm
If you consider the government in Iraq to be an "American style democracy", you really should look into it more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:26 pm
If that trademark McG snide idiocy is addressed to me, it's your usual strawman. At no time did i ever use the term "American-sytle" democracy.

If it's not addressed to me, then have the decency to name the intended vicitim of your straw-hit-man.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:38 pm
Setanta, if you can overcome your snide calling of names and ridicule here, I believe we could have a reasonable conversation. First of all, let us consider only Afghanistan. I have gleaned the distinct fact that even most liberals and Democrats advocate what we have done there, precisely for the very reasons that I used. Can we agree on that?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:39 pm
No, actually it was addressed to the post before yours. Your post was not there when I made my reply as you may notice by the timestamp. Also, if you bothered to read the post preceeding yours, you will see the quote I made. Please stop thinking the world revolves around you and your posts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
If you weren't so devoted to arrogant idiocy, you would note that the timestamp for my post is 1:22 p.m., and the time stamp for yours is 1:23 p.m. There was no reason for me to assume that you were responding to the post before mine. I certainly had not read that post, because when i saw Okie's idiocy in response to my post, and just how lame it was, i immediately responded.

Maybe if you weren't so arrogant as to believe that when you respond, everyone will see the course of discussion exactly as you do, you'd realize you need to name those to whom you respond.
0 Replies