An open letter to all those decent American's

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:51 pm
okie wrote:
At Gitmo, my recollection is that playing loud music, making the prisoners stand, sleep deprivation, scaring the prisoners, etc. are considered torture. I beg to differ.

You mean like:
Quote:
It was pitch black no lights on in the rooms for most of the time.... They hung me up. I was allowed a few hours of sleep on the second day, then hung up again, this time for two days. My legs had swollen. My wrists and hands had gone numb.... There was loud music, [Eminem's] "Slim Shady" and Dr. Dre for 20 days.... [Then] they changed the sounds to horrible ghost laughter and Halloween sounds. [At one point, I was] chained to the rails for a fortnight.... The CIA worked on people, including me, day and night.... Plenty lost their minds. I could hear people knocking their heads against the walls and the doors, screaming their heads off.
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2005/12/19/afghan12319.htm
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:45 pm
I read your link. To start with, it sounds like it was near Kabul, Afghanistan, not Gitmo.

Sleep deprivation. As a point of interest, have you ever gone through basic military training? Actually, sleep deprivation is in fact a tactic to wear down terrorist suspects to make it more likely for them to talk. Not perhaps pleasant, but I do not think it is torture, although some leftist organizations may wish to call it that.

Playing loud music. I once camped in a campground where a bunch of drunks played loud music until 4 in the morning. Irritating, yes, but I could not sue them for torture. Piping the loud music into their cells may be worse than what I endured, yes mighty unpleasant, but I don't think it rises to the level of torture.

Chaining to the rails is restraint, and may hinder sleep. All of these things are unpleasant and designed to break down the terrorists to reveal information that may save peoples lives.

How do the human rights organizations want us to treat prisoners? I am guessing unless if it is any less than treating them like a full paying holiday cruise passenger, they would classify the treatment as substandard, demeaning, humiliating, and torturous. Ladies and gentlemen, face reality here, we are probably treating prisoners at Gitmo as well or better than prisoners have ever been treated around the world. I will not contend that an abuse here or there does not happen, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan, but overall I think our treatment has been at least as good as in the past. I personally know of men stuck in prisons during WWII, and the ones that survived were lucky to survive at all. Many starved or died from other problems.

Last point. The Geneva Conventions. If I understand it correctly, even though we voluntarily aim at abiding by it, we are not under obligation to do so in the case of terrorists, because they wear no uniform and do not represent a country in time of war. They are more like international criminals, but neither do they come under the jurisdiction of our domestic criminal code. They really have put themselves in a position of having no code to protect themselves. And really, these are people that advocate the killing and maiming of civilian men, women, and children, so why should they even expect any mercy or humane treatment in return because of the Geneva Conventions. They do not qualify. The fact that we do give them any humane treatment should be considered as purely undeserved mercy. We should be complimented, but no, we are constantly criticized for any shred of mistreatment anybody can dredge up.

The world needs to wake up to the threat posed by terrorists. Treat them humanely, yes, I think that is adviseable, but to treat them like honored guests, no, absolutely not. And where are the sympathies for the innocent people killed and maimed by them?
0 Replies

anton

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:56 am
okie wrote:
I read your link. To start with, it sounds like it was near Kabul, Afghanistan, not Gitmo.

Sleep deprivation. As a point of interest, have you ever gone through basic military training? Actually, sleep deprivation is in fact a tactic to wear down terrorist suspects to make it more likely for them to talk. Not perhaps pleasant, but I do not think it is torture, although some leftist organizations may wish to call it that.

Playing loud music. I once camped in a campground where a bunch of drunks played loud music until 4 in the morning. Irritating, yes, but I could not sue them for torture. Piping the loud music into their cells may be worse than what I endured, yes mighty unpleasant, but I don't think it rises to the level of torture.

Chaining to the rails is restraint, and may hinder sleep. All of these things are unpleasant and designed to break down the terrorists to reveal information that may save peoples lives.

How do the human rights organizations want us to treat prisoners? I am guessing unless if it is any less than treating them like a full paying holiday cruise passenger, they would classify the treatment as substandard, demeaning, humiliating, and torturous. Ladies and gentlemen, face reality here, we are probably treating prisoners at Gitmo as well or better than prisoners have ever been treated around the world. I will not contend that an abuse here or there does not happen, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan, but overall I think our treatment has been at least as good as in the past. I personally know of men stuck in prisons during WWII, and the ones that survived were lucky to survive at all. Many starved or died from other problems.

Last point. The Geneva Conventions. If I understand it correctly, even though we voluntarily aim at abiding by it, we are not under obligation to do so in the case of terrorists, because they wear no uniform and do not represent a country in time of war. They are more like international criminals, but neither do they come under the jurisdiction of our domestic criminal code. They really have put themselves in a position of having no code to protect themselves. And really, these are people that advocate the killing and maiming of civilian men, women, and children, so why should they even expect any mercy or humane treatment in return because of the Geneva Conventions. They do not qualify. The fact that we do give them any humane treatment should be considered as purely undeserved mercy. We should be complimented, but no, we are constantly criticized for any shred of mistreatment anybody can dredge up.

The world needs to wake up to the threat posed by terrorists. Treat them humanely, yes, I think that is adviseable, but to treat them like honored guests, no, absolutely not. And where are the sympathies for the innocent people killed and maimed by them?

Well! After reading your posts on this topic I am not surprised by your support for the use of torture but I am saddened, fortunately I am sure your views are not representative of the majority of Americans … to be defensive of something is to be supportive of it.

Would you feel the same if it were American forces locked away, in a duplicate of Guantanmo Bay, and subject to the same treatment as those prisoners who have been held for four years without charge, or access to lawyers … I certainly hope you would not?

You ask the question, "How do the human rights organizations want us to treat prisoners?" … I will answer that for you; without doubt they want your administration to treat prisoners with the same humanity you would want for American prisoners.

Be very careful of what you support, if your government is allowed to practice this vile business it would set a precedent for your enemies to do the same … the Police may see it as an accepted way of treating their prisoners and why not adopt the practice in the Prison's …No! That would never happen in the USA, on the other hand I am sure there are many who support your view point, so it is best never to say never!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:05 am
If any American is stupid enough to fight as a terrorist, then they deserve what ever punishment they receive. You seem to equate American soldiers to these terrorists who have no honor, no code of conduct, and do not follow the generally accepted rules of war.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:12 am
okie wrote:

I didn't say it was. You said you don't think being made to listen to loud music and being forced to stand is torture. I think the way you state it minimizes what actually occurs.

Quote:
Sleep deprivation. As a point of interest, have you ever gone through basic military training?

No, but I've had two babies so I know something about sleep deprivation.

Quote:
Actually, sleep deprivation is in fact a tactic to wear down terrorist suspects to make it more likely for them to talk. Not perhaps pleasant, but I do not think it is torture, although some leftist organizations may wish to call it that.

I would advise anyone to not take too seriously things I have said while sleep deprived. Frankly, I'd say anything you wanted me to say if you'd let me sleep after being kept up for 3 days. Perhaps you don't understand how important sleep is to the health of the human body and mental state.

Quote:

Perhaps if your fellow campers had hung you from the wall for a week in the dark while playing it?

Quote:

So you're saying torture is legitimate in order to save lives.

Quote:
How do the human rights organizations want us to treat prisoners?

According to the Geneva conventions and the Army field manual? Just a hunch.

Quote:

This is exactly the message sent to people in charge of interrogating prisoners that leads to abuse. If they are not protected, then it's ok to torture them, right? Seeing as how many people in the military got the same message you got, how do you figure that abuse is only committed by a few bad apples?

Quote:

Nobody is asking that they be put up in a 5 star hotel. We're asking the Bush administration to make it clear, clear, clear as day that it's not ok to torture. It's a simple enough thing to go back to a standard of prisoner treatment prior to their disastrous and shaky legal opinions which declared torture legal, and that torture consists of nothing short of organ failure. And I'm not even getting into the fact that many of our "detainees" have no connection to terrorism and were abducted from areas outside of Afghanistan and Iraq.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:15 am
McGentrix wrote:
If any American is stupid enough to fight as a terrorist, then they deserve what ever punishment they receive. You seem to equate American soldiers to these terrorists who have no honor, no code of conduct, and do not follow the generally accepted rules of war.

You seem to think that the only people being held in these prisons are "terrorists". Any American who gets swept up in this net should have access to the courts to challenge it and should get a fair trial and should also not be tortured.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:52 am
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1382033,00.html

Quote:
Stafford Smith has drawn up a 30-page report on the tortures which Begg and Belmar say they have endured, and sent it as an annexe with a letter to the Prime Minister which Downing Street received shortly before Christmas. For the time being - possibly forever - the report cannot be published, because the Americans claim that the torture allegations amount to descriptions of classified interrogation methods.

However, Stafford Smith's letter to Tony Blair - which has been declassified - says that on his visit to the Guantanamo prisoners, he heard 'credible and consistent evidence that both men have been savagely tortured at the hands of the United States' with Begg having suffered not only physical but 'sexual abuse' which has had 'mental health consequences'.

Quote:
According to the memos, the abuse was 'systematic', with frequent beatings, chokings, and sleep deprivation for days on end. Religious humiliation was also routine, with one agent reporting a case in which a prisoner was wrapped in an Israeli flag.

'On a couple of occasions I entered interview rooms to find a detainee chained hand and foot in a foetal position to the floor, with no chair, food or water,' an anonymous FBI agent wrote on 2 August. 'Most times they had urinated or defecated on themselves, and had been left there for 18 to 24 hours or more.'

Reports of identical treatment were first published by The Observer last March, in interviews with three British detainees who had been released - Shafiq Rasul, Asif Iqbal and Rhuhel Ahmed. They were then strenuously denied by the Pentagon. But according to another FBI memo dated 10 May, when an agent asked Guantanamo's former commander, Major General Geoffrey Miller, about techniques the FBI regarded as illegal, he was told that the interrogators 'had their marching orders from the Sec[retary] Def[ense]', Donald Rumsfeld. General Miller told the US Congress under oath that although Rumsfeld had authorised the use of dogs to intimidate prisoners at Guantanamo, this had never happened. According to the memos, this was inaccurate.

Quote:
Having fled Afghanistan where he had been trying to set up a school before the war against the Taliban began in October 2001, Begg was abducted by American agents from the house the family was renting in Islamabad.

Belmar was captured after attending a religious school for a few weeks before the 11 September terrorist attacks. An FBI source who personally questioned him before he was sent to Guantanamo has told The Observer he recommended his immediate release because he had 'no involvement' with terrorism, but was overruled by MI5.

Stafford Smith says in his letter to Baroness Symons that Begg made a false written confession after being tortured in February 2003, when two agents who had abused him at Bagram - where Begg witnessed the deaths of two prisoners officially classed as homicide - came to Guantanamo. But neither he nor Stafford Smith have been allowed to see this statement, which apparently forms the main grounds for his continued incarceration. Stafford Smith asks the Foreign Office for help in obtaining a copy, and asks: 'What kind of civilised legal system does not allow the suspect to see his own statements? How can the prisoner's statement be said to be classified information when, if it were true, the prisoner would already know it?'
0 Replies

anton

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:00 am
McGentrix wrote:
[/b]

"do not follow the generally accepted rules of war" Is this US administration?

I have always thought of the United States of America as a modern civilized democracy but now my mind is being clouded by an administration that appears to be turning away from some of tenets of a fair and just society in the pursuit of the barbaric practice of torture; I also see them dispensing a dread of terrorism to cower the population … it is not happening in Britain and it's not happening in Australia where we have a mechanism of checks and balances built into our Westminster System of Government.

I feel certain, in fact confident, that decency and justice will prevail in the US, in spite of Bush and his Neoconservatives. The will of decent American's will win out in the end and those who have sullied the reputation of that great nation will get their comeuppance.
I will leave this argument here because I know it is not possible to argue with those who do not recognise that the US has an obligation to demonstrate decency and fairness to a developing world.

Only a fools believe torture will produce the truth … think about? … I could make you admit to anything if I had you in my Dungeon.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:03 am
One of the problems with this whole subject is the difficulty in separating fact from fiction. One of the prime impediments to separating fact from fiction is the biased nature of some organizations that are basicly opposed to the efforts of the United States, or may be sympathetic to terrorist causes, or simply wish to turn a blind eye to the reality of terrorism and the existence of terrorists. Therefore when I hear some of these so-called human rights organizations cry abuse, it is a little bit like the story of crying "wolf." After a while, I really don't even listen to the accusations or take them seriously. And when I hear that sleep deprivation is one of their prime complaints, then I take the accusations even less serious. There is an effort here to redefine the term, "torture." I think it is a dumbing down of the term.

We need to remember here that we did not create this problem. The terrorists did. We would prefer they stay in their own countries, mind their own business, and do something productive. Don't blame us for the problem.

Quote:
I also see them dispensing a dread of terrorism to cower the population … it is not happening in Britain and it's not happening in Australia where we have a mechanism of checks and balances built into our Westminster System of Government.

You are delusional and living in a state of denial.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:18 am
okie wrote:
Therefore when I hear some of these so-called human rights organizations cry abuse, it is a little bit like the story of crying "wolf." After a while, I really don't even listen to the accusations or take them seriously.

Yes. I feel the same way when I hear people cry "terrorist".

Quote:
And when I hear that sleep deprivation is one of their prime complaints, then I take the accusations even less serious.

No, it's not one of the prime complaints. The prime complaint is the lack of due process, beatings sometimes to the death, and being driven insane. There are other complaints too, but those appear to be classified.

Quote:
There is an effort here to redefine the term, "torture."

There sure is.

Findlaw wrote:
Bybee's interpretations guided the Bush Administration for twenty-two months. And a powerful case has been made that Bybee's extraordinary reading of the law led to Americans engaging in torture at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere.

The memo defines torture so narrowly that only activities resulting in "death, organ failure or the permanent impairment of a significant body function" qualify. It also claims, absurdly, that Americans can defend themselves if criminally prosecuted for torture by relying on the criminal law defenses of necessity and/or self-defense, based on the horror of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Finally, the memo asserts that the criminal law prohibiting torture "may be unconstitutional if applied to interrogations undertaken of enemy combatants pursuant to the President's Commander-in-Chief powers."
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20050114.html

Quote:
We need to remember here that we did not create this problem. The terrorists did.

The "he started it" defense didn't work when we were kids, and it won't work now.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:42 am
I can never understand the argument that other countries do/did it so that makes it okay for us to do it.

Aren't we trying to show these other countries that our way of doing things is better?

If we become more like them, to show them that they should be more like us.....

It doesn't even make sense.

My brother, a General in the Army, had to sit through a presentation of thousands of photos taken inside the Abu Gharib prison. While he would not tell me what the photos showed he did say that they were shocking and sickening and that anything I might have seen in the paper did not compare to what all went on there.

Rest assured, anton, there are many decent Americans who are appalled by our descent into torture.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:51 am
FreeDuck wrote:

No, it's not one of the prime complaints. The prime complaint is the lack of due process, beatings sometimes to the death, and being driven insane. There are other complaints too, but those appear to be classified.

Lack of due process. This is a very difficult problem, because as I said before, these people do not qualify as domestic criminal cases, and they also do not qualify as enemy soldiers representing a country or wearing an official uniform as covered by the Geneva Convention. So you wish to give such people all the rights and due process of somebody accused of a crime in the United States. Can you imagine multiplying an O. J. Simpson trial by however many terrorist suspects that are held? I do not think it is practical or adviseable to grant them these rights. The cost, the time, and the drag on our criminal court system simply makes it impractical. In the first place, they have created the problem and have put themselves in the position of creating this dilemma in which there are no easy ways to deal with them. It is not Bush or Rumsfeld that created the problem. It is not the United States that created the problem. It is the terrorists that created the problem.

Severe beatings. Not justified unless it was in response to a struggle of some kind with a guard or something. Being driven insane. That is kind of a nebulous charge hard to pin down. Being captured is stressful, and some people will crack under severe stress. This is unavoidable. You need to provide more information than simply making a charge of being driven insane. That does not tell us anything or prove abuse.

It is difficult to know whether there are any innocents, and if so, how many are in Gitmo. By virtue of where most were captured, a strong link or connection to terrrorists is indicated. We already know that some that were considered less risk, and were released, have been captured again on the battlefield trying to kill or maim us.

I am not in favor of beatings and severe forms of abuse that truly does rise to the level of physical torture. Where abuse has occurred, it needs to be corrected and the people responsible need to be held accountable. I believe that has been done, and is being done. I do not believe the administration sanctioned any severe abuse. And I think there have been some false accusations. One of the directives in the terrorist handbook is to falsely accuse the captors of abuse. Part of the war is a war of public opinion. I do not believe the press has done a decent job of presenting a balanced picture of how well most prisoners are treated, along with all the trumpeting of supposed abuse. From my reading, most of the prisoners at Gitmo are possibly living better there than they did in their own country.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:01 pm
boomerang wrote:
I can never understand the argument that other countries do/did it so that makes it okay for us to do it.

Aren't we trying to show these other countries that our way of doing things is better?

If we become more like them, to show them that they should be more like us.....

In my experience on A2K, I have never seen even one post in which someone said that it's okay because other people do it. I have seen people say that it's deplorable and must be punished, but not historically unusual, or as bad as the other side, which is, of course, invariably repeated as okay because everyone is doing it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
My thoughts/opinions:

- What happened at AG was torture. I consider extensive sleep deprivation, hanging suspended by arms or legs and extended efforts to produce mental anguish as torture. Any questioning procedure that requires a person to be stripped starts off as questionable.

- The events at AG have been described as "a few bad apples." That does not correspond with the military I was in. Abuse this extensive had to be observed by senior NCO and junior officers. While I'm not familiar with how AG was run, I find it hard to believe that there were not roving watchstanders passing areas where these events were happening on a routine basis.

- The military apparently knew about these events for a substantial period (months) before the press released the photos. No action was taken prior to the press release. The perpetrators were left on duty. Apparently the photos were widely viewed by the army personnel since one of them sent them to the press.

Based on my beliefs as stated above, I think there was extensive approval, either explicit or implicit, up the chain of command with what happened at AG. President Bush's insistance that torture be legal also supports that belief. I do not feel that interrogation methods outside the Army field manual are appropriate for any prisioner, terror suspect or otherwise, both because the of the moral position it puts our troops in and the questionable quality of any information.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm
engineer wrote:
... President Bush's insistance that torture be legal....

Got a link to this?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:19 pm
Perhaps I should state "President Bush's adament resistance to Congressional legislation banning torture." I consider that to be the same as "insistance that torture be legal", but others may find the former more acceptable and technically more accurate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:23 pm
I've been told that i'm often indecent . . . does that mean that i'm not allowed to respond to this thread?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:41 pm
anton wrote:
Would you feel the same if it were American forces locked away, in a duplicate of Guantanmo Bay, and subject to the same treatment as those prisoners who have been held for four years without charge, or access to lawyers … I certainly hope you would not?

While some of the treatment at Guantanamo is probably illegal, international law does allow captured soldiers to be held until the end of the war. This does not require access to lawyers or criminal charges.

anton wrote:
Be very careful of what you support, if your government is allowed to practice this vile business it would set a precedent for your enemies to do the same …

I think you have that backwards. Our enemies have always treated our soldiers this bad, or worse.

I recall the way our captured soldiers were treated by the Saddam government in 1991.

And the Vietnamese also tortured our POWs.

And the Japanese in WWII were mentioned earlier.

If anything, we are merely following the precedent set by the rest of the world.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:47 pm
I think oralloy just proved my point without me even having to search out examples, Brandon.

I'd love to hear what you have to say, Setanta, despite your indecency.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:48 pm
okie wrote:
Lack of due process. This is a very difficult problem, because as I said before, these people do not qualify as domestic criminal cases, and they also do not qualify as enemy soldiers representing a country or wearing an official uniform as covered by the Geneva Convention. So you wish to give such people all the rights and due process of somebody accused of a crime in the United States.

I wish to give them the rights to judicial review, yes. Otherwise...

okie wrote:
It is difficult to know whether there are any innocents, and if so, how many are in Gitmo.

okie wrote:
By virtue of where most were captured, a strong link or connection to terrrorists is indicated.
We don't actually know where they were captured. One of the stories I linked to on the last page or so details how men have been picked up at airports (including JFK) and then sent to Afghanistan, and from there to Guantanamo. Because there is no meaningful review and no ability of these prisoners to challenge their status, we will never know.

Quote:
Being driven insane. That is kind of a nebulous charge hard to pin down. Being captured is stressful, and some people will crack under severe stress. This is unavoidable. You need to provide more information than simply making a charge of being driven insane. That does not tell us anything or prove abuse.

I think that after three weeks of being hung from the wall listening to eminem (even if I like him) in the complete darkness with no food and only filthy water to drink, I would have severe mental issues. What about you?

Quote:
I do not believe the administration sanctioned any severe abuse. And I think there have been some false accusations.

I disagree. It seems clear to me that the existence of legal opinions formed solely for the war on terror (assinine name) is an indication of their willingness to torture, and to either find legal ways of doing it or to make it seem that the law doesn't apply. In addition to that, the fact that similar techniques have popped up in different prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan, and in most cases these were reported to have been imported from Guantanamo tells me that this is a systemic problem and that the "few bad apples" were probably doing what they thought they were ordered to do.

Quote:
I do not believe the press has done a decent job of presenting a balanced picture of how well most prisoners are treated, along with all the trumpeting of supposed abuse.
What does a balanced picture of torture look like? How do you balance something like that?
0 Replies