Been Up for OVER 24 Hours - Can't Sleep

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:48 am
I couldn't sleep last night, because I've had some things on my mind. So I spent the night you, A2K... posting, that is.

Now, as it stands, there is so much to do today, that I won't be able to get to bed until tonight. So that means I'll have been up at least 35 hours.

And no, I haven't taken anything to be up... don't do that sort of thing, except for coffee, sometimes, or tea. The stimulation is natural.

This is highly unusual...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,376 • Replies: 28
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:57 pm
Read some philosophy...that should do it !
(Avoid heavy volumes they wake you up when they drop !)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:12 pm
Try ONE breathing.

Laying in bed, inhale deeply through your nose, hold for a few seconds then exhale through your nose thinking OOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEEEEEE. Repeat, never counting higher than one.

The lack of counting releases your brain from concentrating on keeping track of where it is and the breathing simulates deep REM sleep breathing. You should breath for a minute or so, roll over and be asleep in no time.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:25 pm
No, don't go to sleep now! You're almost at the best part of the trip! Stay awake until you start to hallucinate. That's the BEST!
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:34 pm
Fresco, sweetie-pie, that's a very interesting idea. But philosophy normally stimulates my mind. Maybe if I get a large philosophy book (but don't drop it), and hold it up next to me to let the essence of it drift into my subconsious... Cool

J_B, I'll try that. It sounds easy. You know, that makes me think of something from when I was 12. We had relatives over for the weekend, and we three girls (cousins) were sharing a bed together, talking while the light was out, wide awake and couldn't sleep. My aunt would pass by the hallway every now and then, to make sure we weren't really up. The other two quickly drifted off, but I was still awake. So when I'd hear my aunt coming down the hall, I would pretend to be asleep.

There isn't anything unusual about this, children do it all the time. But I decided to really get into it, by breathing deeply. Well, after about 5 minutes of this, I was out. And it was because I acted as if I were asleep, and breathed deeply (like you said), as if I were asleep. And it worked! I had forgotten about that, but your suggestion brought the memory back.

So I'll just add the "ONE" to it, and see what happens. But that will have to be tonight, though.

Hey, I think I'll make some hot cocao, too, before bedtime. I love chocolate.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:38 pm
kickycan wrote:
No, don't go to sleep now! You're almost at the best part of the trip! Stay awake until you start to hallucinate. That's the BEST!

I like it when you're awake so long your chest starts to hurt. What a rush.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:38 pm
Well, that's probably due to all the cocaine too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:41 pm
I like that second (third fourth and fifth) wind you get when you are up for too long and suddenly you feel like "Hey, let's go BOWLING!"
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:42 pm
oooh, and when you feel like your eyes turned into gelatine balls of poison and have turned to poison your brain from the inside.... yeah i love that feeling.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:48 pm
or, being so tired that you stare at the wall because you sware it is breathing right along with you..
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:54 pm
kickycan wrote:

Now that's wild, Kickycan. Is that what New Yorkers do when they're bored? Surprised

That's all I need, is to hallucinate while driving down the highway. The Texas Highway Patrol would really have fun with that one!

Come to think of it, that's probably when I'll start going to sleep. I'm easy prey for highway hypnosis, even after a good night's sleep...
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:20 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Well, that's probably due to all the cocaine too.

Is that what gave you a bald head & a very dark tan? (no-no, nanette!)
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:30 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
oooh, and when you feel like your eyes turned into gelatine balls of poison and have turned to poison your brain from the inside.... yeah i love that feeling.

Dag, that would be something to tell your opponent in the ring:

"Babe, get ready, 'cause these gloves are gonna turn your eyes into gelatine balls, and poison your brain from the inside out!" - dagmaraka

(Oh, how disgusting...I hated even *typing* that)
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I like that second (third fourth and fifth) wind you get when you are up for too long and suddenly you feel like "Hey, let's go BOWLING!"

I've been meaning to tell you, Bella, I just love your pooch! I bet he (or she?) could even bow-wowl, given half a chance!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:38 pm
Re: Been Up for OVER 24 Hours - Can't Sleep
PoetSeductress wrote:

That's all I need, is to hallucinate while driving down the highway. The Texas Highway Patrol would really have fun with that one!

Fall asleep on Mopaq
you wont get in any trouble
those officers are asleep as well..
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:39 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
or, being so tired that you stare at the wall because you sware it is breathing right along with you..

You mean how the walls were erotically swirling and breathing in the movie "The Devil's Advocate"? Laughing
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:43 pm
Time for bookkeeping, and tallying 3 months of receipts so that I can be reimbursed. This will take about 3 hours!!!

<lighting a stick of incense and putting on an Internet classical station>

(And no cocain with that incense, Chai Tea!) Cool
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
Unless you have decaffeinated cocoa, I wouldn't suggest it. Try some cheese or yogurt instead. It's the dairy that helps with warm milk. Warm is soothing, but any dairy will do.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:46 pm
Thank you J_B, and everyone else. I finally went back to bed at 1:11 this morning, picked up a book to read, and fell asleep in about three minutes! Didn't get as much sleep as I wanted but I'm better, now.

What a strange experience. I'm going to meditate more. Haven't been doing it like I should. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:53 pm
PoetSeductress,

Have you ever tried audiobooks? I have trouble falling asleep because I can't seem to shut my brain off. I listen to an audiobook and it focuses me on one thing and I fall asleep much faster. Once the tape is finished it shuts itself off. Certain narrators' voices will put me to sleep in a heartbeat no matter how good the story is.

I hope you get some good rest soon.
0 Replies