Liberalism is Not Conducive to Happiness

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:46 am
It's the wolf in sheep's clothing. Anybody fooled by it would be fooled by POX News.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:46 am
EBrown's political things that make him happy.
(I don't presume to speak for "Liberals").

1) My good friends who have a long time loving and commited relationship, and care for their daughter now have the right to get married and enjoy the legal security that marriage brings. This makes me happy in spite of that had the Mass. court not given them that right, Bush very well might not be in the White House right now.

2) Civil rights for racial minorities are (in spite of the yelling of angry white male conservitives) pretty well protected-- and even while not perfect (i.e. racial profiling) rights here are among the best in the world. Problems with civil rights are discussed publically.

3) I was recently struck by the role Free Speech plays in our society (after the Irving thing in Europe). The fact that both liberals and conservatives now agree that Free Speech, even when deeply offensive, is sacred and a core to our liberty.

4) My friends who are undocumented may soon get the right to earn their citizensip. The amount of public support being shown for the rights of migrant workers... even the face of loud vitrolic attacks from the other side. Bush is (kind of) on the right side of this issue.

5) Kids are guaranteed a decent science education with the influence fundamentalist relion in the classroom. This right was recently dramatically upheld in both the Judicial and Political spheres.

6) Fair trials for Guantanamo prisoners (we aren't quite there yet, but even the pressure in this direction makes me happy).

7) The diversity of the community in which I live. People are from different countries and different backgrounds, they even speak different languages. People are very supportive and have a strong community. The social support and opportunities for immigrants here is a sign of this.

8) The protection of the rights of Arab-Americans which is considered very important by Americans of all stripes even after 9/11. We argue around the edges, but the response of the vast majority of Americans is not to repeat the mistakes of wars past. We imprisoned the Japanese, and prosecuted the Germans. The progress we have made as a nation is impressive.

How's that.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:48 am
mysteryman wrote:
flushd wrote:

Those are called moderates.
Name one famous moderate,and what did they accomplish?

Lincoln was undoubtably a moderate. I am sure there are others.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:51 am
msolga wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Msolga you kind of reinforced George Will's thesis.

The George Will column was alsp also certainly posted in the many newspapers to which he is syndicated. RealClear politics is a collection of sources that speak to the headline news of the day and includes pro and con views on virtually all major issues plus some interesting commentary. They probably do tilt a bit right of center philosophically, but the sources they use are generally quite balanced with all available views.

Thesis? I wouldn't quite call it that.

I don't know about reinforcing his view, either. It's quite possible to be a contented with your own personal life, yet quite appalled by political events at the same time & to want to change things for the better. You don't necessarily have to be an unhappy person to recognize, say, a social injustice or an ill-advised invasion of another country. What does being "happy" have to do it?

Seriously, that site is considered balanced? It seems more than a little tilted to the right, to me.

I suspect you didn't follow the links for content at RealClear Politics or I think you would have to agree that all points of view are expressed there.

"What being happy has to do with it" is that the Pew Research poll--and Pew Research is nobody's idea of a rightwing group--has shown that conservatives have said they were happy more often than liberals say that they are happy and this has been consistent since the polls were first taken in the early 1970's.

Some of us find this interesting. For those who don't, there are all manner of other threads to participate in other than this one. It is interesting that it is only the liberals who are having a problem with the topic, and as yet nobody has put forth any argument to dispute the thesis.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:54 am
ebrown_p wrote:
How's that.

Not a bad list at all, ebrown_p.

Really, it's just a matter of looking beyond one's own nose, isn't it? Having concern for other people & all that! I'm certain it's not necessary to be some sort of malcontent to do that!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:01 am
FreeDuck wrote:
What a very happy thought, McG.

I read the report. The data for happiness by political party is for the "very happy" category -- there is no data for "pretty happy" and "unhappy" in the section for party affiliation. The report sayst that Republicans are more likely to report being very happy than are Democrats and Independents. This doesn't change when controlling for income or ideology. Interestingly, the authors of the report allude to religiosity as the possible controlling factor. I'd be interested to see what happens if you combine "pretty happy" with "very happy".

The report is here: http://pewresearch.org/social/pack.php?PackID=1

All this means is that Republiacans are more likely to tell someone taking a survey that they are "very happy" than are Democrats. Whether they are really very happy or not is anybody's guess. We see how self-seluding conservatives are here at a2k and at other political forums. This is just another example.

As well, lacking compassion, it is much easier for a conservative to tell a surveyor that he or she is very happy while (for example) our young service men or woemn are being killed every day. It is so easy being a conservative, you don;t have to care about anyone but yourself.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:02 am
ebrown, kudos! Well done on your list. I'll be back later--gotta get to work--not to bash it in any way but to comment on the list.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:05 am
Foxfyre wrote:
msolga wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

The George Will column was alsp also certainly posted in the many newspapers to which he is syndicated. RealClear politics is a collection of sources that speak to the headline news of the day and includes pro and con views on virtually all major issues plus some interesting commentary. They probably do tilt a bit right of center philosophically, but the sources they use are generally quite balanced with all available views.

I don't know about reinforcing his view, either. It's quite possible to be a contented with your own personal life, yet quite appalled by political events at the same time & to want to change things for the better. You don't necessarily have to be an unhappy person to recognize, say, a social injustice or an ill-advised invasion of another country. What does being "happy" have to do it?

Seriously, that site is considered balanced? It seems more than a little tilted to the right, to me.

I suspect you didn't follow the links for content at RealClear Politics or I think you would have to agree that all points of view are expressed there.

"What being happy has to do with it" is that the Pew Research poll--and Pew Research is nobody's idea of a rightwing group--has shown that conservatives have said they were happy more often than liberals say that they are happy and this has been consistent since the polls were first taken in the early 1970's.

Some of us find this interesting. For those who don't, there are all manner of other threads to participate in other than this one. It is interesting that it is only the liberals who are having a problem with the topic, and as yet nobody has put forth any argument to dispute the thesis.

Actually, I had a pretty good look at the site, Foxfire. I was very interested!

You can have a poll on anything at all ... The real point is why ask that particular question? Why bother? Whose interests does it serve?

Are you suggesting that if a person doesn't agree with the point of view advanced by a particular topic here that they shouldn't participate? I don't have a "problem" with the topic as such. I just find the proposition of "happiness" irrelevant to a political discussion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:10 am
msolga wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
msolga wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Actually, I had a pretty good look at the site, Foxfire. I was very interested!

You can have a poll on anything at all ... The real point is why ask that particular question? Why bother? Whose interests does it serve?

Are you suggesting that if a person doesn't agree with the point of view advanced by a particular topic here that they shouldn't participate? I don't have a "problem" with the topic as such. I just find the proposition of "happiness" irrelevant to a political discussion.

I in no way said, suggested, inferred, or hinted that anyone who doesn't agree with the topic should not participate. I did say those who were not interested in it had a lot of other options rather than to spend their time complaining that the topic was introduced.

And I'll accept that you don't like the RealPolitics site. I often go there and to Drudge specifically to find out what the more credible opposition is saying, but each to his/her own.

I am off to work for now. Ya'll play nice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:13 am
Foxfire

I think it's not so much that people were complaining that the topic was introduced at all ... It's more that the premise is, well ... rather silly.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:18 am
Blonds report having more fun they brunettes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
Yeah, it makes me happy when George Will rags on Bush and his cabal. He does have some redeeming features despite having a sense of humor akin to the Tasmanian Devil. I know, that's an extinct animal. Well...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
Source?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:23 am
I think we got out of sequence but blonds have more fun than brunettes because they really aren't sure what fun is. There's an equation in that "thesis" somewhere.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:23 am
McGentrix wrote:
From reading various posts by liberals on A2K, it is a wonder they haven't committed suicide as miserable as they are. Nothing but negativity spews forth daily. I know if my life were that miserable, I would try to change and maybe try to find something more positive to expend my energy on.

Thats a nice quote from someone best known for copy/pasting angry, resentful, mocking or self-righteous articles into new threads ... anyone, when's the last time you heard McG say something genuinely, carefreely happy? Not gleeful or vindicated or ridiculing or smug, but just, simply - happy?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:25 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Yeah, it makes me happy when George Will rags on Bush and his cabal. He does have some redeeming features despite having a sense of humor akin to the Tasmanian Devil. I know, that's an extinct animal. Well...

For your education,May I present this...

http://www.nature.ca/notebooks/english/tasdevil.htm

"Sarcophilus harrisi
This tough little carnivore resembles, in some respects, a small bear. Found today only on the island of Tasmania, south of Australia, it is still fairly common there and protected by the government."

They are not extinct at all.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:26 am
msolga wrote:
Source?

Rod Stewart.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:27 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I will but you guys go first. You're claiming you're happy while posting nothing but unhappiness. Just giving you a chance to make your point.

No that was McG/George Will, who did that first.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:29 am
You're right, I typoed when I neglected to insert "almost" extinct. Too much of a hurry to get ready for work (I am operating on only a half-a-cup of coffee in an effort to cut back). It does make more sense when referring to George Will...

McGentrix' comment on committing suicide is a wish dream.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:35 am
This is the post that makes the most sense in this thread, IMO:

ebrown_p wrote:
If I remember my developmental psychology from college... I am pretty sure it was Erik Erikson who talked about a state of "mental foreclosure".

Mental foreclosure is when you accept your beliefs as absolute truth without honestly questioning them. This is one of the states you can reach in your forming your identity.

The alternative to mental foreclosure is either a mature identity (where you have decided what to believe, but have honestly accept the problems with your viewpoint and continue searching), or a state of searching without having decided yet.

Studies have shown that people in mental forclosure experience the least stress (and I assume that this would make them the happiest). Very religious people who ignore any of the messy contradictions in their beliefs are certainly the happiest I know. [..]

A state of happy denial is a state of happiness.... but I don't want to be there.
0 Replies