Liberalism is Not Conducive to Happiness

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Certainly we should find that the red states, with their fervent belief in the importance of "family values", would have families that stay together far more than those God-hating pagans in the big city blue states, right? Well, let's check the state-by-state divorce statistics. And once again, the opposite of what we expect. The lowest rate of divorce in the nation? That would be none other than that haven of liberal political correctness, and beacon of gay marriage to the world, Massachusetts. Must just be an anomoly, right? Well, not exactly. In fact, 9 of the 10 lowest divorce rates are in blue states, especially in the Northeast, allegedly the hotbed of pagan immorality. And the 10 highest divorce rates in the nation, with averages nearly 3 times higher than the 10 lowest? 8 of them are red states. And let's not forget that these are led primarily by what is referred to as the Bible Belt. As a recent National Center for Policy Analysis noted, "Nearly half of all marriages break up, but the divorce rates in these southern states are roughly 50 percent above the national average." Boy, I'm sure glad we've got these people to lecture us on family values, but one wonders how they get the time in between breaking up their own families!
http://www.stcynic.com/blog/archives/2004/11/red_stateblue_s_1.php
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
Magginkat wrote:
....Well, let's check the state-by-state divorce statistics. And once again, the opposite of what we expect. The lowest rate of divorce in the nation? That would be none other than that haven of liberal political correctness, and beacon of gay marriage to the world, Massachusetts. ....
http://www.stcynic.com/blog/archives/2004/11/red_stateblue_s_1.php

Thanks for the information. I guess I learned something if the statistics are represented correctly. Maybe you don't need a divorce if you don't get married in the first place? Just kidding. I will keep your info in mind and be on the lookout for similar info. in the future. I honestly have not taken the time to try to analyze it your links, but I will accept it as valid unless I learn differently. Thanks.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:40 pm
Re: Liberalism is Not Conducive to Happiness
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

no you didn't say that. i did. Laughing

why?

because you mention hollywood and liberals in the same sentence on what seems like a regular basis.

there must be a reason.

what gives ?

and i am relaxed. i just really want to know what's up.

I think we've had this conversation before. I guess to be frank, one of my pet peeves is the press talking about the political opinions of celebrities. My reaction is, why? Why not go ask a bunch of plumbers or carpenters? Their opinions would be worth just as much. So if actors and celebrities are going to thrust themselves into causes and political movements, then I figure I can comment on it. Thats all. And as far as a fairly certain stereotype, the celebrities pretty much fit the liberal mold. That should not be a criticism if you are liberal. It is simply an observation.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
parados wrote:

And there is your circular reasoning in a nutshell.

Clinton's statement proves the evidence is correct.

The evidence proves Clinton's statement is about an offer.

Don't you think we are beating a dead horse by now? We simply disagree based on how we judge the evidence and the Clinton statement in particular. And whats this argument of a "circular reasoning" all about now. That seems to be your favorite line now.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:39 pm
4 2, I told you he wouldn't understand it, didn't I, 4 2?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:29 am
What may be pertinent evidence can be labeled as "circular reasoning" by anybody that does not wish to accept the evidence. Nice copout.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:02 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Oh but research is a wonderful thing

Laughing Laughing

roxanne found the "f*&kthesouth.com" .

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:19 am
Re: Liberalism is Not Conducive to Happiness
okie wrote:
I think we've had this conversation before. I guess to be frank, one of my pet peeves is the press talking about the political opinions of celebrities. My reaction is, why? Why not go ask a bunch of plumbers or carpenters? Their opinions would be worth just as much. So if actors and celebrities are going to thrust themselves into causes and political movements, then I figure I can comment on it. Thats all. And as far as a fairly certain stereotype, the celebrities pretty much fit the liberal mold. That should not be a criticism if you are liberal. It is simply an observation.

okay, okie. thanks for giving me a more fullsome understanding of your thoughts. and you are not completely off base, btw. a huge chunk of the industry, such as carpenters, gaffers, riggers, drivers, electricians and even businees people are pretty damn conservative. not all but a lot. even some actors.

however ("oh sh*t, he's not gonna drop it yet", okie thinks to himself. Laughing ), plumbers and every other type of person does get asked about the same things all of the time. the various outlets call them by assorted names; "the average american", "mainstream america", etc.

and they can say the same thing without the stigma and derision that gets heaped on hollywood.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
LOVE that research Maggie and Roxxanne!! Laughing
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:24 pm
Vietnamnurse wrote:
LOVE that research Maggie and Roxxanne!! Laughing

Hey Vietnamnurse,

It's always fun to dig that one out. At least Okie didn't go into a screaming rampage as did a couple of righties a couple months ago when I was accused of making it up!

Happy St. Paddy's Day!
0 Replies