Dubai Ports: Shame on the Democrats!

engineer

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:11 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Dumb analogy. Here's a better one: transport airlines owned by nations whos leaders have met with Osama Bin Laden should be restricted from buying American airports.

This is a contract to handle basic security administrative activities, not to buy the ports. The employees don't change. Joe down the street is still the night watchman, etc. Americans are still patroling US ports. What is all the concern about who cuts the paychecks and handles the paperwork? Do you think Joe will become a rabid terrorist who will allow his fellow terrorists to party down at his house?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
Exactly, engineer. (And because all and everyone is getting so nervous, I've got the opinion that such might be handled differently in six US ports to all other ports worldwide. (I couldn't find any note the DPW bought tzhe US Customs or that they were previously owned by P&Q, too.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
I agree there is no reason not to let a foreign company run US ports. But there is plenty of precedent in Congress not allowing it.

From 1998
Quote:
Although Congress has killed a deal to lease the abandoned Long Beach Naval Station to a Chinese shipping company, local officials are still fighting to make other accommodations to keep the China Ocean Shipping Co. from leaving the harbor.

Port of Long Beach officials were officially stripped of their ability to lease the former Navy land to COSCO late last week, when congressional conferees submitted to Congress the 1998-1999 defense authorization bill. The legislation's final language effectively prohibits the Chinese company from leasing any part of the Long Beach Naval Station after it is converted into a cargo terminal. Officials said there is virtually no chance of amending the bill.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:52 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Kudos to e_brown and drewdad

Suppressed gag reflex for IronZionLion.

Poor marks for the Bush Administration.

Democrats like Hillary and Chuckie Schummer may or may not be bigots but they are certainly cynical opportunists. In some way, that they have flown by the issue of bigotry at mach speed is all the more disconcerting. Of course, here comes IronZionLion to spew the talking points (Which by the way, are shared by members of the Right) "It's not about bigotry, it's about security!"

Pardon me but, bullshite!

There are numerous (and not all Jolly Englishman) foreign interests that have operational control over our ports. Suddenly Arabs want to join the game and a focus of Homeland security that has been wantonly ignored by Congress (our ports) shoves its way to the front burner.

You're right. 80% of the hubub surrounding this is just thinly vieled racism - people like cjhsa oppose the deal simply because it involved an Arab country.

Oh I see, people like cjhsa are racists while people like IronZionLion are patriots.

However, this shouldn't distract us from the fact that there are real reasons to oppose this deal. The UAE government was one of three governments to recognize the Taliban. The UAE government has personally met with Osma Bin Laden. The UAE government has links to Al-Qaida. The UAE government allows chairites to funnel money to terrorists and madrasas in Pakistan.

There are real reasons to question this deal. Stupidly, the Bush Administration refused to accept this. Until these questions are answered there is no real reason to oppose the deal.

The UAE was...Past tense. Do you know that these concerns survive into the present tense? I doubt it. It is naive to argue that on the geo-political front, that virtuous acts are their own reward. If the UAE (and more particularly Dubai) have mended their ways it is more because of self-interest than national morality. If there is nothing to be gained by mending their ways than the high regard of some Americans, the mend is sure to fail. If Islamic nations buck Islamo-Fascism sentiments in their populations and all they get is a T-Shirt that says "W Loves Us!" their resistance won't last long.

You'd have us sell our ports to this country? Yet, you're all for war against Iraq based partly on it's hilarious tenuous connections to terrorism?

That's completely ridiculous.

You are incoherent.

First of all, the financial transaction is between a British company and a public/private (think Amtrac) company in Dubai. US involvement is limited to approving the deal; not a dime will be recognized.

Secondly the ports are not owned by the British who are seeking to do the deal with Dubai. The deal is for the operational management of a handful of American ports. Other American ports are run by the Chinese and Singaporians. It's a Global Economy -- get wise!

Finally, there is absolutely no connection between this issue and the war in Iraq other than that Arabs are involved.

Quote:
There is no question that the UAE has significantly changed their ways since 9/11. Perhaps they haven't changed enough, but they have made significant changes. It's silly to expect an Arab country to do a 180 for us, but if they do a 120, we have to reward them.

"Hey, the were best buds with Osma Bin Laden untill it became political suicide to support him, and yeah, they supported the Taliban, but hey, they've changed."

Hilarious.

You find the oddest things funny.

No one, least of all me, is arguing that the UAE is now some sort of bastion of virtue. They act out of self-interest. Obviously their self-interest was advanced (at least in their minds) through their prior positions. We have been successful, thus far, in realigning their self-interest with our own. If their changes do not bear fruit, they will not maintain them.

If and when the UAE has a significant interest in American ports, it is highly unlikely that they will do or allow to happen anything that might hurt that interest.

Not every Arab in the world is an Islamic fanatic. Some of them have just as much avarice and venality as any American Fat-Cat Capitalist, and they are not about to sacrifice their greater good for that of Allah.

Quote:
Bush is absolutely right. This hubhub is sending a horrible message to moderate Arab nations. Unfortunately, it was the arrogance of his Administration (flowing from him) that enabled this crisis to develop. It's politically a good thing to allow this deal to go through. If it really doesn't present a security threat (and I don't believe it does), then there is no reason why the Administration could not have short-stopped this furor.

Both Bush and Clinton ignored the role countries like UAE and Saudi Arabia play in terrorism because a) they're leaders were co-operative, b) we need thier oil. That was a huge mistake. Blocking the ports deal will send a clear message that we are not going to tolerate this type of double-faced dealings.

Lumping Saudi Arabia and the UAE together reveals your blunt regard for the region. You would hardly lump the UK and Greece together, yet both are European and, nominally, Christian nations.

You refuse to acknowledge that the UAE has turned from blatant double-faced dealings. If they haven't then I'm all for depriving them of this deal. If as the Administration contends, they have, then punishing them because of past transgressions or because they are Towel-Heads, is self-defeating.

Quote:
Having given Bush his share of the blame, I can't leave out the Democrats and their syncophants (e.g. IronZionLion).

I know this may shock you and others in the cesspool of partisan bickering that is A2K, but I'm not a Democrat. The Democrats are only slitghtly less retarded than thier Republican counterparts, as far as I'm concerned.

Pardon me. I sometimes tend to group Democrats, Liberals, and Leftists together. I acknowledge you as a Leftist who, despite your protestations, is far more likely to fall in step with the Left-wing of the Democratic Party than not.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:12 pm
Quote:
Lumping Saudi Arabia and the UAE together reveals your blunt regard for the region. You would hardly lump the UK and Greece together, yet both are European and, nominally, Christian nations.

There is considerably more in common between SA and the UAE, to compare them to the UK/Greece is just dishonest. The autocratic emirs and princes of both countries have unrepentant distain for anything Western unless some advantage, monetary or otherwise, can be gained. To ignore the former, and formal, relationship between the leaders of the UAE and radical Islam is to invite disaster, to misunderstand the Wahhabi theology of the House of Saud as something akin to the skim milk version of Christianity practiced in England is obtuse ignorance.

The real irony here is that both the governments of the UAE and Saudia Arabia are now under attack from the same radical Islamists they once embraced. The Dubai company will be more of a target by Al Queda now that they will be managing ports in the US and so will the officials back home in Sharjah.

Joe (good luck to them)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:16 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

There is considerably more in common between SA and the UAE, to compare them to the UK/Greece is just dishonest. The autocratic emirs and princes of both countries have unrepentant distain for anything Western unless some advantage, monetary or otherwise, can be gained. To ignore the former, and formal, relationship between the leaders of the UAE and radical Islam is to invite disaster, to misunderstand the Wahhabi theology of the House of Saud as something akin to the skim milk version of Christianity practiced in England is obtuse ignorance.

The real irony here is that both the governments of the UAE and Saudi Arabia are now under attack from the same radical Islamists they once embraced. The Dubai company will be more of a target by Al Queda now that they will be managing ports in the US and so will the officials back home in Sharjah.

Joe (good luck to them)Nation

Joe (ham-fisted) Nation

No one is comparing Saudi Arabia and the UAE with the UK and Greece. Your smug rant about comparing Wahabiism and Anglicanism is a non-starter.

The suggestion was that concluding that Saudi Arabia and the UAE are essentially identical in nature is akin to concluding that the UK and Greece are as well. Do you get it now or should I attempt to write even more plainly?

Yes the autocratic rulers of the Saudi Arabia and UAE could care less about Western values - what a clever fellow you are to point that out - and yes, these autocratic rulers are motivated by self-interest. Reread my post and you will find that we are entirely in agreement on this point.

We have allies across the world. If you think that they are our allies because we deeply share common values, you are, at best, naive. Accommodation of self-interest is what forms alliances, and no alliance is absolute. Politics is a process of quid-pro-quo. We can threaten nations to do what we want, but that only goes so far. To obtain a lasting alignment of interests we must promise them something.

Pakistan went from, essentially, an enemy to an ally. Why was that? It was a combination of threats and promises. Should we implicitly trust Pakistan? Absolutely not. Should we make it worth their while to help us hunt down al-Qaeda operatives and leaders? Absolutely yes.

Up until now, no one has cared that a large number of our ports are managed by foreign companies. Suddenly an Arab company enters the mix and the nation goes ballistic.

This is a tempest in a teapot advanced for political reasons.

The ports will be "run" by American longshoremen.

The ports will be secured by the Coast Guard.

Security is a marketing tool for companies that run ports post-9-11. There is every incentive for the money grubbing owners of the Dubai company to keep American ports safe.

Is it possible that an underling of the UAE company might obtain information that was otherwise not available and use it to further a terrorist plot? Of course it is. The question is how probable is such an event. Zero tolerance for risk is untenable in every human endeavor.

Similarly any Arab company that does business with the US might parlay business information into terrorist attacks.

Is the answer to not do business with Arab companies?

Personally, I have a poor regard for modern Arab culture, not to mention modern Arab nations. The grim reality is that as long as oil is, far and away, the primary source of energy in the world, we need to contend with Arabs.

The best way to deal with this dilemma is to try and make Arab culture and Arab nations as much like us as we can, and failing that to align their interests with our own...while we find energy sources that are an alternative to oil.

Make no mistake: If corn husks could serve the majority of our energy requirements, no one would care what is happening in the Middle East except as it affected our ally Israel, and if oil were taken out of the equation, it would be all about Israel.

Look at Africa. Do we really care what happens there? Not really.

To our credit we are responding to the AIDS epidemic there, but do we court African despots? Not the way we court Arab despots.

We do care about what happens in Nigeria. Why? Because they produce oil!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:03 am
Well, one of the rare times, I agree with Finn, on the basis of what he says.

I'm not the biggest friend of this globalism at all - but times have changed and we have to live and arrange with that. (The German car manufactorour was sold to the US in the early 20's of 20th century already.)

His description about what the deal is seems to cover that what I believe it's all about.

As said, I'm not a big fan of globalism, and obviously the USA is now 'feeling' one of the many negative effects themselves.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, one of the rare times, I agree with Finn, on the basis of what he says.

I'm not the biggest friend of this globalism at all - but times have changed and we have to live and arrange with that. (The German car manufactorour was sold to the US in the early 20's of 20th century already.)

His description about what the deal is seems to cover that what I believe it's all about.

As said, I'm not a big fan of globalism, and obviously the USA is now 'feeling' one of the many negative effects themselves.

One of the rare times you are on the right side of an argument.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:18 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

That's something different, and I sincerely doubt your statement :wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

That's something different, and I sincerely doubt your statement :wink:

Doubt it as sincerely as you will, but if you rarely agree with Finn, then you are rarely on the right side of the argument.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 01:56 am
I totally agree this time again: I'm not at the right site Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 05:51 am
Finn: I hope you don't brush up against any sharp objects, as puffed up about yourself as you are, you are likely to pop like a bad bicycle tire. You call me clever when you are writing thusly:

Quote:
We have allies across the world. If you think that they are our allies because we deeply share common values, you are, at best, naive. Accommodation of self-interest is what forms alliances, and no alliance is absolute. Politics is a process of quid-pro-quo. We can threaten nations to do what we want, but that only goes so far. To obtain a lasting alignment of interests we must promise them something.

Pakistan went from, essentially, an enemy to an ally. Why was that? It was a combination of threats and promises. Should we implicitly trust Pakistan? Absolutely not. Should we make it worth their while to help us hunt down al-Qaeda operatives and leaders? Absolutely yes.

I hope you send the first section underlined to George W. Bush, it is not part of his philosophy. As to Pakistan being an ally, with friends like these... . What were those threats made? What were those promises? And who made them? Bet you don't know. We're such good buddles that we haven't gotten to even interview A Q Khan about his nuclear weapons mischief. No biggie.
===
One thing that has changed about this story in the past three days, George Bush has gone from "Oh yeah??!, I'll do what I want and veto any measure that gets in my way!!" to "Okay, maybe there ought to be a little information given to Congress every once in awhile despite my being king." He forgot that he taught all those folks out in the Red States to have kneejerk reactions to the the word "Arab". He's also forgotten that he told those folks out there that the war in Iraq would be a cake-walk, a slamdunk and we would be greeted as heros on flower-strewn streets. We would snatch the weapons of mass destruction from the hands of the evil Saddam and puncture the terrorist's ability to threaten us. Of course, then he changed the mission to exporting democracy to the Middle East, a worthy goal but not the one the folks in the Red States signed up for.

They've gotten just a little tired of unendingly burying a couple of Americans every couple of days, and now comes word, out of the blue, that some "Arabs" -yipes- are going to be in charge of America's largest ports.

Bush and Co. screwed this up, what's new about that, they forgot that they have created a government based on appearances and posturing, something you know a lot about Finn, and they failed to bolster the image of the UAE to the folks out there in Beaumont, Texas. You remember Beaumont, don't you? It's the port through which nearly half of the military shipments of the US leaves. The folks down there are at war with the folks out there in the Middle East. They don't know nothing but what George has already told them. He forgot to tell them that the boys from the UAE are okay cowboys and are on our side of this war. (Maybe it's because he's not so sure himself, maybe he hasn't given it a second thought, kind of like the way he's thought about actual port security.)

This story has dropped off the front pages this morning. It will be interesting to see if they can save the deal. Maybe Bush will make some threats and promises.

Joe(So far, billions for airport security, a couple of hundred million for BOTH port security and chemical plant security combined. What's wrong with this picture?)Nation
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:56 am
Excellent post joe nation.

In any event, he is not going to back down, he is just taking advantage of the delay to make his case to lawmakers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_go_pr_wh/ports_security

I think that if they are on board with us in regards to the "war on terror" (now)then in the long run, we might be more secure than if another company bought the ports.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
"Thomas Kean, a former Republican governor of New Jersey who led the bipartisan probe of the Sept. 11 attacks, said the deal was a big mistake because of past connections between the 2001 hijackers and the UAE.

"It shouldn't have happened, it never should have happened," Kean said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

The quicker the Bush administration can get out of the deal, the better, he said. "There's no question that two of the 9/11 hijackers came from there and money was laundered through there," Kean said.

Kean acknowledged the UAE is now being helpful by allowing the United States to dock ships in its country's waters, and helping the U.S. with intelligence.

"From our point of view, we don't want foreigners controlling our ports," Kean said. "From their point of view, this is a legitimate company that had a legitimate bid and won, and here are all these congressmen saying all these things about not wanting this company. It looks to them like it's anti-Arab."

"I think this deal is going to be killed," Kean said. "The question is how much damage is this going to do to us before it's killed."

Kean's comments threatened to overshadow moves by the company and the White House to appease critics by delaying the takeover.

"Governor Kean knows as much as anyone how risky it is to deal with the United Arab Emirates," said Rep. Peter King (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y., chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee and a leading opponent.

"This just proves that no real investigation was ever conducted, and it's unfortunate that he and the other 9/11 commissioners were not contacted before the government approved this."

The former head of the CIA's Osama bin Laden unit joined in the criticism.

"The fact that you are putting a company in place that could already be infiltrated by al-Qaida is a silly thing to do," said Mike Scheuer, who headed the CIA unit until 1999.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_go_pr_wh/ports_security_109
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:17 pm
Still perplexed about the outcry (yes, I know: it's election year - but isn't that always in the USA?), I tried to find some facts:

- the Pentagon controls the facilities that it uses to ship military goods,
- security standards for ports are governed by The International Shipping and Port Security Code, which applies to any company operating in the USA, regardless of ownership,
- the US Coast Guard is in charge of overseeing its implementation,
- every port has a Coast Gard officer who is Captain of the Port and is responsible for port security,
- the Customs and Border Protection Agency and the Coast Guard, not the owner of the port, conduct security screening on individuals and goods.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
Copied and pasted from the printed version of the weekly UK business paper The Business:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7769/clipboard34ts.jpg
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:00 pm
http://www.prisonplanet.com/Pictures/feb06/250206Bush_Port_Deal2.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:10 pm
blueflame : you deserve a medal ! hbg

(i wonder if they were going to a dance that night ?)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
there was another telling picture in the news not long ago.
president bush was receiving one of the arab potentates recently. the president was sitting in a chair opposite the sheik(?) who put his feet(in shoes, of course) on the coffee-table and pointed the soles of his shoes towards the president .
i'm sure you all know that one of the nastiest insults arabs can make, is to show the soles of the shoes towards your opponent .
it showed quite clearly who the boss was . hbg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:26 am
Wow, go to DC for a week and you get really behind.

I think this is a crazily interesting issue! It transcends traditional party lines. It's interesting to see me disagreeing with Revel and Ebrown and agreeing with Brandon!

Isn't it a big deal that this company isn't an independent company; that it is owned by the State of UAE? It's nothing personal. I don't want any foreign Gov't controlling ANY land in America that isn't an embassy!

This whole issue couldn't be worse for the admin; they are arguing against a position of strength on Defense. There is no evidence that this deal will strengthen our port operations or defense in any way, and some evidence that it could weaken it. The fact that a big Bush appointee who helped this deal happen sat/sits on the board of the UAE company doesn't help either.

Ask yourself, why didn't Bush get on the other side of this one? To avoid pissing the UAE off? Does that really mesh with his attitudes and actions up to this date, when it comes to security issues?

Instead, they are risking splitting their party over the issue. Not a strong move at all, unless there are other reasons for this deal that aren't being presented to the public. And would that surprise any of you in the slightest?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies