HELP Heeeeeelp!!! I'm auditioning for a musical tomorrow!!!

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
it's a two months long production, beth. and i bet they won't give me a lead role. i can jump around in the background few times a week.

writing is getting on track, too. meeting with my first reader this friday, giving her a few chapters... nothing better for productivity than being awfully busy with ten million different things. for me it works anyway. research fellowship, on the other hand, is a recipe for slumber.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:10 pm
Be business like.

I don't care how nervous you are, don't take up tryout time standing in front of everyone giving the names of your pet butterflies.

Enter briskly when your name is called. Sauntering up to the stage, dropping your music and lipstick doesn't make for a positive impression.

Thank the nice people for listening to you.

While you're waiting to audition, be courteous. You don't have to listen to other peoples' tryouts with rapt attention, but you should not detract from their efforts in any way.

Break a leg--you belong in a cast.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
so..... a few questions.
most of the group is gay guys and they do flamboyant makeup and such.

Do I want to dress up for the audition, or better not be presumptious and just come 'as is'? Perhaps just a bit more of makeup than usual?

Do I bring my tapdance shoes? I guess won't hurt to bring them.

Do I have to bring workout clothes? They said they will 'try out movements' - so I guess I better not be in high heels and miniskirt.

I have never auditioned in my life, although I was in a theater as a kid for years. Any tips on what I should do/ should never ever do?

You're auditioning for a role in Cleopatra. You are not a shy retiring wall-flower so put some of yourself into your makeup and hair and be who you are. To bring up the Ancient Egypt look, kohl the eyes and put on a little bit of silvery eyeshadow maybe? You should wear something you can move around in, loose enough to dance but tight enough so they can see your body movements. I am thinking tight leggings and a sarong with a wrap-over top. You definitely want to bring your own shoes. I doubt they provide shoes for auditioners and you really want your own that you are comfortable wearing.

GOOD LUCK WOMAN !!!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:16 pm
ok, ok. that sounds good. i can do makeup. If i can do ANYTHING, it's makeup.
i have dancing shoes, i'll bring tapdance shoes too, in case they're interested in my "Honey Pie" choreography (beatles).

listening to Hair soundtrack, and now am leaning to Frank Mills. I have a softer/sweeter voice, so the Black Boys might be a bit too much for me. I need melody... sort of Sound of Music type song for my voice to work best. Not that it's stellar, but i guess i fit that better. Remember the Frank Mills song? I love it...but it could be a bit dull...? I will have them both ready, along with the Czech cabaret song. Decisions decisions....

I met a boy called Frank Mills
On September twelfth right here
In front of the Waverly
But unfortunately
I lost his address

He was last seen with his friend,
A drummer, he resembles George Harrison of the Beatles
But he wears his hair
Tied in a small bow at the back

I love him but it embarrasses me
To walk down the street with him
He lives in Brooklyn somewhere
And wears this white crash helmet

He has gold chains on his leather jacket
And on the back is written the names
Mary
And Mom
And Hell's Angels

I would gratefully
Appreciate it if you see him tell him
I'm in the park with my girlfriend
And please

Tell him Angela and I
Don't want the two dollars back
Just him!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:37 pm
noddy, just saw your post. you're absolutely right. i would hate to look like a flimsy fluke (not even sure what it means, but don't want to look like one).

i'm used to the stage - but i have to know the people. i'm also going alone, which will be harder. never auditioned before...grrr. i can be funny, but i have to be comfortable around the people first. so i will opt for business like and answer questions when asked. i mean, not that i will try to be boring on purpose, just not forcefully funny, if you see what i mean. humble and dignified tapdancing singing slovak.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:52 pm
Quote:
humble and dignified tapdancing singing slovak.

And smile, smile, smile.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:46 pm
Makeup sure. Don't try to audition in costume, though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:48 pm
Hey, wait a minute. Did you get clarification on just what they meant by 'try out movements'?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:54 pm
nope roger. they didn't. i hope they won't expect me to have any choreography ready, cause....errrr....i won't.

so..... frank mills, black boys, or the czech cabaret song? who will help me decide? i know them all well by now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:01 pm
well...but i asked what they expect of me. and he said to only have some song ready. so i presume the 'movements' will be something they show me first and ask me to repeat...?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:08 pm
i'd say czech cabaret -- except that it's musical theater, so you probably want them to, like, understand you.

go with the black boys song. hair is so...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:17 pm
sheise. that was my last choice, cause i'm a bit shy about that one (the lead character will be played by a gay black boy... and i'll strut in there and start "black boys are delicious...").. i guess i'll just have to see what the vibe of the place is, how many people.... how i feel...etc.
the cabaret song i know best, frank mills is easiest in terms of what to do on the stage... dunno
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:48 pm
Hi dag - you should sing whatever you feel the most comfortable with. You could sing Happy Birthday (to the director of course) if you can really sell it. Showing your personality and your voice is the point. I think the Czech song could be great. At least it'll be something no one else sings!!

The dance audition will be like a dance class. The choreographer will show you a routine, probably in a group setting, and then small groups perform it. They won't have time to see everyone dance alone.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:51 pm
<teehee> reading up.... I SO wish I could be there for the audition!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
Oho, she learned the cuss words in German already Laughing

Dag, I think the Czech song would be nice. It's something
different and will capture their attention for sure.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:18 pm
mac11 wrote:
Hi dag - you should sing whatever you feel the most comfortable with. You could sing Happy Birthday (to the director of course) if you can really sell it. Showing your personality and your voice is the point. I think the Czech song could be great. At least it'll be something no one else sings!!

The dance audition will be like a dance class. The choreographer will show you a routine, probably in a group setting, and then small groups perform it. They won't have time to see everyone dance alone.

czech song it is, probably. or frank mills. but czech will be the best and i think it suits me best.

and dance, if it is like you say, in a group - should not be a problem.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:28 pm
Breakaleg, dag - please let us know how it goes!

Oh, and yes, lots of make-up is probably a good idea. Can't be too dramatic for this target audience, I'd guess.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:36 pm
Czech song will get you noticed but you might be asked if you can do something else so be prepared with a little something. Doesn't need to be much. (They just want to know if you can sing on key. Hard to tell with a song they probably don't know.)

Break a leg.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:40 pm
Ok, Dag just played 4 songs for me and I STILL vote for Black Boys.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:42 pm
Did she play them or did she sing them? Very Happy

(I love that song.)
0 Replies