Do you think Issac Newton died a virgin?

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:37 am
Ok, I thought of it because of my last question and am really not obsessing about this tonight.

But it is a common rumour that Issac Newton died a virgin. He had no known romantic relationships (well one can be called romantic I guess but he was a kid and I doubt they did it).

He was an odd fellow and I am almost positive that he died a virgin. What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,598 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:07 am
I think you should stop drinking JOLT cola and smoking Jamaican grass.

FTR (for the record), I'd ascribe a obsessive-compulsive personality to ol' Isaac and it wouldn't be in the least bit out of character that he:
a. Never had sex
b. Never even thought about sex
c. Never found anyone with the 'right' qualifications for congress with the most brilliant mathematical mind of the time (I think that would ruin anyone's chances of getting laid anyway)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:09 am
It's Jamaican?

:-)

I agree that he was obsessive.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:25 am
http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/rasta.gif
Irie Craven-mon I & I be tinkin' bout that Newton fellah.I & I sure that tha mon never lively 'imself up, y'know. Thinkit coz that fellah bin livin' in Babylon oldtime and them not have heard of that Sigmund Freud fellah or that there psychoanalysis or nuttin'.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:17 pm
CdV - New Scientist has a very likely explanation. I'll be posting it as a new topic.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:18 pm
hey..... wasn't this Q originaly about Jesus?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:21 pm
Yeah, but there is more evidence to indicate that Ike was than to indicate either way with Jesus.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:22 pm
poor dude. I voted wrong on the jesus thread, btw.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:29 pm
he was so confused by the apple falling on his head, he never took a bite out of it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:48 pm
Craven
You wanna stop bogarting that thing and pass it this way!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 08:17 pm
Lots of people die virgins CDK and why would you obsess about that you certainly will not or are you contemplating becoming celibate?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,631332,00.html
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:02 am
dya reckon jesus died a virgin too?...cos if he didnt would b an awfully good argument to get catholic priests to stop with this celibacy crap...not to mention the whole 'no sex b4 marriage' type thing one of my friends is almost obsessive about......
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:47 am
Well, since he was such a great mathematician, he obviously had a lot of experience handling 'figures'....
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:25 pm
(Actually, I heard he once had a fruit go down on him)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:42 pm
Sir Issac was gay, he had a close companion but their sexual relations, if any, as far as know was not recorded.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:43 pm
trixabell wrote:
dya reckon jesus died a virgin too?...cos if he didnt would b an awfully good argument to get catholic priests to stop with this celibacy crap...not to mention the whole 'no sex b4 marriage' type thing one of my friends is almost obsessive about......

Was Jesus a virgin?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:45 pm
Acquiunk,

I do not think Newt was gay. Do you have any data that would change my mind?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:54 pm
Ike's dead? Dead? Are you sure Shocked

No wonder he never answers my calls Sad
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 02:00 pm
Craven. Yes, I'm trying to remember which Bio I read that discussed that. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 02:25 pm
This is the best I can come up with at the moment. The companion was Nicolas Fatio de Duillier. The exact nature of the relationship has always been obscure but for Newton it was significant.

http://web.clas.ufl.edu/users/rhatch/pages/01-Courses/current-courses/08sr-newton.htm

This is the relevant paragraph.

"After publishing the Principia, Newton became more involved in public affairs. In 1689 he was elected to represent Cambridge in Parliament, and during his stay in London he became acquainted with John Locke, the famous philosopher, and Nicolas Fatio de Duillier, a brilliant young mathematician who became an intimate friend. In 1693, however, Newton suffered a severe nervous disorder, not unlike his breakdown of 1677-1678. The cause is open to interpretation: overwork; the stress of controversy; the unexplained loss of friendship with Fatio; or perhaps chronic mercury poisoning, the result of nearly three decades of alchemical research. Each factor may have played a role. We only know Locke and Samuel Pepys received strange and seemingly deranged letters that prompted concern for Newton's 'discomposure in head, or mind, or both.' Whatever the cause, shortly after his recovery Newton sought a new position in London. In 1696, with the help of Charles Montague, a fellow of Trinity and later earl of Halifax, Newton was appointed Warden and then Master of the Mint. His new position proved 'most proper,' and he left Cambridge for London without regret."
0 Replies