Scottish dogs are barking to imitate their master's voice

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:12 pm
Scottish dogs are barking to imitate their master's voice

IT may sound barking mad, but researchers today claimed that dogs imitate their owners' accents.

A study has found similarities between a dog's yap or growl and how their owners speak.

Scientists claim pet dogs of all breeds gradually develop a "voice" that differs depending on where they live.

Tracy Gudgeon, from the Canine Behaviour Centre in Cumbria said: "What I did notice was differences in pitch and tone between the different dogs.

"The Scottish dog was quite distinctive. There was a lighter tone to the bark."

"I also noticed that in terms of pitch the Liverpudlian dog was higher then the rest of the sample."

Dog owners were asked to record a short message on an answer phone, and then encourage their pets to do the same.

Experts then compared the sounds, and found the dogs made different noises depending on how their owners spoke and where they lived.

They found a Labrador from Merseyside recorded in the survey had a higher pitched bark than would be expected from a breed with a deep growl.

The survey also found the closer the bond between the dogs and their owners, the more likely that their accents would be similar.

Urban folklore has long held that dogs look like their owners.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 646 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:15 pm
Now, if they can just get the animals to answer the phone! Laughing

I'm not sure what I think about this. I have had dogs but know more about cats. I know dogs and cats have different ranges but never knew they could actually imitate? Wow. Shocked
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:30 pm
I had a story recently about a dog that was trained to dial for emergencies on the phone.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:31 pm
No way! That is too cool! I always said if I can just get these cats to learn to clean house we'd get it done in a half an hour!

I think animals are capable of learning much more than we give them credit for. I think cats just make you think they can't do tricks. :wink:
0 Replies