Have You Gotten Your Flu Shot Yet?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 05:28 pm
My husband has had multiple sinus surgeries. His sinuses are so bad, that the cilia no longer works. His MD also reccommended irrigation, but with baking soda. It has made all the difference in the world. Whereas he had constant sinus infections for years, he has very few now!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 06:45 pm
You can also get temporary relief by getting in the shower and letting the hot water run directly on your face. As it does so, massage the sinuses. It helps for a while. Or you can just take a tylenol sinus or chlor-trimeton or such every day. That works, too.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 07:58 pm
Just checking in to say hi, and to see how Joanne is doing today. If I remember right, it usually takes about 3 days before the antibiotics really start kicking in and you start feeling better, so hopefully by the end of the weekend you will...at least a little bit!

I used to get sinus infections. I once had one that was so bad that when the ENT took an x-ray of my head, he thought I had a brain tumor. They did another type of x-ray, and found out that it was just a massive sinus infection. Regular GP's had never diagnosed it as anything other than allergies (which I have many, many of) and had totally missed the boat. But since they've had me taking Claritin everyday, I haven't had any sinus infections. Chlor-trimeton never really worked for me and I didn't like the fact that it made me sleepy and I that I had to take it every four hours.

Joanne...There is an OTC product that's really cheap called "Ocean". It's an saline nasal spray that works really well. It comes in a white plastic spray bottle with orange lettering on it.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:07 pm
Hi, Phoenix...

My husband's had the sinus surgery, too. Not fun! They have him taking Zyrtec everyday and using a nasal spray along with it. He's doing a lot better since he was started on those things a few years ago. I've never heard of anyone using a baking soda solution before. Do you think it works better than the saline solutions? How do you mix it up, and how often does your husband use it? I'll have to tell my husband about it so he can ask his dr what he thinks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:10 pm
He uses 1 teaspoon baking soda to 1 pint of water. He does it once a day. He is very careful about rinsing out the rubber bulb.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:10 pm
bandylu...

At times, those hot showers seem to be the only thing that really works for getting rid of a sinus headache. I have one of those shower massage things, and when I have a sinus headache, I've been known to stay in there for a while! It really helps to loosen thing up.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:12 pm
All that modern medicine has discovered, and a good old fashioned shower does the trick. I love it.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:12 pm
Wow. Phoenix...that was fast! Thanks so much for the recipe. I'm going to tell him about it as soon as he's done watching a football game. Maybe it'll be something that he can try...Anything to get rid of a sinus problem is a good thing!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:13 pm
Matrix500- When I am not in a position to take a shower, I take my thumbs and firmly press under the eyebrow ridge, near the nose. That often helps!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:14 pm
You're right, bandylu. Sometimes it's the simplest things that work the best!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:15 pm
Phoenix...
I do that, too. It almost seems like a natural thing to do to relieve the pain. Like acupressure.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:18 pm
I guess that should have been accupressure...See, Joanne. I can't spell, either!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:33 pm
Matrix: I heard Claritin is now going to be sold over the counter!!! Yeah!!!

Loved your story today about the kitty ... It's worth retelling here if you haven't already
Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:03 pm
Hi guys, feel a little better but agree it will take some time and many naps. Thanks for thinking of me. Misti I think I was proscribed Claritin once and it really helped me. When will it be sold over the counter and will it be the same dosage.

Phoenix I was looking for that red head & pain discussion. My high pain tolerance is probably what made me wait almost a week before going to the doctor. The doc said that a person my age should go if something like this develop and his still hanging on after three days.

In addition, I have deiced to stop smoking and he is going to help me do it. He proscribed a medicine called Wellbutran, I have to set a stop date to prepare mentally for stopping and then start taking the pills five days before that date. So I have set Thanks Giving as my stop day because it will be a busy day and I have the weekend to get over the worst part of the grouchy mood.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:13 pm
Hi, Misti...

I know Claritin is going to be OTC pretty soon, which is good for people who only need it occasionally, but because I have to take it everyday, I'm not happy about it. My insurance will pay 100% for my prescription drugs (especially maintainence drugs), but if I have to get it OTC, then they won't pay for it. It goes for about $2.50 a pill right now. What I plan to do, is have my MD prescribe the newer version of the drug, Clarinex, for me instead so that I can continue to have my meds paid for.

The kitty story...are you talking about the kitty stories on the "What Made You Smile Today" thread on Abuzz? jose cuervo and The {original} Farmerman both had really touching stories on that thread about newly saved kitties...I talked about my puppy's eating silly eating habits. That's one of the good threads left on Abuzz, isn't it? It's worth checking into everyday.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:20 pm
Congratulations on your decision to stop smoking, Joanne...I know you can do it, and if we can do anything to help you, please let us know. I quit smoking many years ago, and it was hard, but at the time, I also had bronchitis which turned into pnumonia...but, I also tried to start up again after I got well. Stupid me, but the relapse didn't last long and I've not wanted one since.

Anyway, we'll be here for you if you need us, so please use us, okay!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:43 pm
Joanne & Misti...

Here's an article that says that Claritin is supposed to be an OTC drug by the end of November. It's got some interesting information in it:
http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/510229.html
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:24 pm
Matrix, yes it was the kitty story by farmerman. It was so touching I could have cried.

Sorry I'm off topic here.

I was going to suggest to have your doctor write a RX for the medication because whether it's over the counter or not, if you have a RX for it, your insurance will cover it.

I used to do that with Tagamet, the drug company kept writing me to let me know I could buy it over the counter, but it didn't matter, it was cheaper with a Rx.

I see you're up on all of it:)
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:36 pm
Hi, Misti...

My insurance company is really picky, and they won't cover OTC drugs, not even with a doctor's prescription (we try!)...They'll some of my daughter's OTC diabetic supplies, but not all of them. At least they pay for the really expensive stuff.

I use prescreption strength Zantac and they cover it, but won't cover the OTC stuff. The OTC Zantac isn't strong enough for me, anyway, but it is the same drug...
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 11:01 pm
Matrix, I know what you mean, they are stinkers. You have to be one step ahead of them, I know.

I work for an orthopaedic clinic, you wouldn't believe the lunches the reps. from the drug companies bring in.

I'm always complaining why don't they just lower the cost of their drugs instead of spending all that money promoting them. Even tho' I'm on the receiving end of it, it still irks me.
0 Replies