Man Dies After Insurance Co. Refuses To Cover Treatment

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
Man Dies After Insurance Co. Refuses To Cover Treatment

Fri Feb 10, 11:32 PM ET

Tracy Pierce, 37, lived a full life. He grew up with family and faith. He went to a Catholic school, got married, had a son, and he even had the car of his dreams. It was the perfect life.

"He's been strong. He has," his wife, Julie Pierce, said.

Two years ago, Tracy Pierce's life changed dramatically when he was diagnosed with kidney cancer.

"I have no treatment. Three months has gone by and I haven't had any treatment," Tracy Pierce told KMBC's Jim Flink in May 2005.

When Flink talked to Tracy Pierce, his cancer was attacking his body. Despite being fully insured, every treatment his doctors sought for him was denied by his insurance provider. First-Health Coventry deemed the treatments were either not a medical necessity or experimental.

"I don't know what else to do but just wait," Tracy Pierce said last May.

As he waited, his doctors appealed again and again, including a 27-page appeal spelling out that Tracy Pierce would die without care. Coventry dismissed each request.

"It's purely economical. You never see an insurance company try to block an inexpensive test," said William Soper.

Soper leads a group of doctors who filed a lawsuit last year against insurance providers. This week, Soper went to Jefferson City to lobby legislators for change.

"And you know, it's not going to get better anytime soon. It's going to get worse," said Myra Christopher, who is the president and chief executive officer of the Center for Practical Bioethics.

Christopher told Flink that change won't happen until there's a change in the entire medical model.

"I just believe strongly that we need to start being honest about what's going on here," Christopher said.

What is going on is that some insurance companies deny even routine treatments because insurance companies treat their patients as costs, not as clients, Christopher said.

"Some of these companies are just unethical the way they treat both subscribers and providers, doctors and hospitals," Soper said.

Two weeks ago, Tracy Pierce talked with Flink again.

"Just holding a lot of anger in," Pierce said.

Cancer ravaged his body, moving from his kidney to his lungs and to his brain.

"Now, we're just to the point where we're trying to make him comfortable," Julie Pierce said.

Even as he was dying, for more than a week, his insurance company denied him oral morphine, which had been prescribed to reduce his pain.

"That's unacceptable because in this day and age, no one should be in pain," Pierce said.

"I just hope we can get something done about it, that's all. We just have to get something done," Tracy Pierce said.

An hour and a half after Tracy Pierce talked to Flink, he took a nap and never woke up. His family calls his case death by denial.

"They just wrote a prescription for him to die," Julie Pierce said.

The family is begging for change.

"The reality is the blame-and-shame game isn't going to get us anywhere. We are all at fault," Christopher said.

Insurance companies, hospitals, doctors, patients and politicians all need to work together, she said.

"We have to have the moral will. We have to have the intelligence. We have to have the political leadership to change this," Christopher said.

For Julie Pierce, it was 15 months of watching her husband die slowly, painfully and helplessly with no chance at lifesaving treatment, Flink reported.

"My mother always told me to get a good job with insurance. For what? It hasn't done anything," Julie Pierce said.

Julie Pierce said that she understands that we will all die. What is expected, she said, is that if you have health insurance, you'll be given every fighting chance. She said that is not happening.

Leukemia Story

Last fall, 12-year-old Nathan Crabtree was an outgoing child getting ready for a new school year. But his father says Nathan often played sick to extend summer vacation by a day or two.

To prove a point, his dad took Nathan to a doctor for test, which showed that Nathan had an aggressive form of leukemia -- one that needed immediate treatment.

Flink reported that a hospital room has become Nathan's classroom. He spent just two days of his sixth-grade year with classmates; mostly, he's been at Children's Mercy Hospital.

"It's not going away, so they were going to send me to Minnesota," Nathan said.

Doctors wrote to Nathan's insurance company, urging it to send him to the nation's foremost research hospital. Nathan's bags were packed, when his father's insurance company, Coventry, refused to pay for that care, calling it "experimental."

"You don't have anyone to fight for you," said Lee Crabtree, Nathan's father.

Lee Crabtree said he's desperate.

"I have to go out and find private grants, because for all intents and purposes, I have to assume I have no medical coverage," Lee Crabtree said.

"I think they expect or depend on people giving up after the first phone call," said Dr. William Soper, the executive director of Mid-America Medical Affiliates.

Soper said his group is so upset with insurance companies that it has filed a lawsuit alleging insurers block patient care.

"We have patients who say, 'I want a complete physical,' and we'll look at their insurance coverage and we have to say, 'Sorry, but your plan doesn't cover a complete physical,'" Soper said.

Flink reported that many people don't realize what isn't covered by health insurance until it is too late.

Lee Crabtree said he has a helpless feeling when he looks at his son and tries to explain why he can't help him live.

"The feeling of this is beyond words. It makes you feel hollow," Lee Crabtree said.

Late Friday, KMBC learned that Nathan's mother found out she could apply for coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield at her workplace, and so she had applied. What Coventry spent months denying and calling experimental, Blue Cross Blue Shield approved on the first request.

Nathan Crabtree leaves for Minnesota on Sunday morning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,126 • Replies: 33
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
Every time I consider fussing about the Canadian medical system, I think about cases like this.

At least in Canada, if you're denied a test/treatment you can likely afford the test or treatment yourself. Not always, but generally true.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
isnt the canadian medical system, GENERALY free for everyone?
Or .. to my understanding.. free when you cant afford it.. but you pay when you can?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:09 pm
It is free, but sometimes there are delays because there aren't enough resources. In that case, you can (for some things) pay for your own tests/treatment and then request reimbursement from the government plan.

There are some meds where the government only pays for a basic level, and you can upgrade through your own private insurance. However, even the private plans have very tight limits in comparison to what I've seen on U.S. medical bills.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:10 pm
canadian medical system (in very general terms) :
physicians visits and in-hospital treatments are covered under 'provincial' health plans for all legal residents .
however, very specialized/experimential treatments are often not covered.
example : experimental cancer treatment may not be covered by insurance, but in some cases drug companies may cover the cost of such experimental treatments . hbg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
those insurance companies really tick me off
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
husker : whether a private (american) or government(canadian) insurance system, not everyone is going to be happy all the time.
under the american system one may fall through the cracks because of lack of insurance,
under the canadian system one may fall through the cracks because of unavailibilty(high cost to hospital) of treatment.

i remember a saying my brother used often :
'better to be rich and healthy, than sick and poor".

doesn't that sum it up ? hbg
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:03 pm
A simple search shows that Mr. Pierce \\\\

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0429/4429136_200X150.jpg

\\\\ was diagnosed with AIDS over a year ago. A bone marrow transplant wouldn't have helped in most doctors' estimation.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:36 pm
Somewhere along the line, we have to realize that terminal conditions are exactly that. It's hard to blame an insurance company for a condition that medical science is unable to treat.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:10 pm
if the posting is correct, he was denied adequate pain medication.
that would be a cruel treatment under any health system, but not unheard of. there still seem to be some healthcare professionals who don't believe in the importance of pain-control.
personally, we've been lucky in having had physicians who stressed that it would be foolish and counter-productive not to treat pain at the onset and to treat it aggressively. hbg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:24 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

\\\\ was diagnosed with AIDS over a year ago. A bone marrow transplant wouldn't have helped in most doctors' estimation.

Can you provide a link that indicates he was diagnosed with AIDS? All of the accounts I read described metastatic cancer, but I did not see any reference to AIDS. Thanks,
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:32 pm
J_B wrote:
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

Can you provide a link that indicates he was diagnosed with AIDS? All of the accounts I read described metastatic cancer, but I did not see any reference to AIDS. Thanks,

Hello JB, you say "All of the accounts" you consulted mentioned no AIDS but you don't say which accounts these were. Hospitals, family, insurance company, KCMO TV station, Indiana small-town paper reprinting TV station's account, clergyman at funeral, tarot card reader, chickenbones???

I have no idea why ANY unknown unnamed accounts have no complete information and I don't know anybody in the telepathy business either, sorry!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:43 pm
Louise_R_Heller- I could not find any reference to AIDS either, and I checked quite a few search engines. All that I could find was the article that started this thread. I would be interested in knowing how you knew that this man had AIDS.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:57 pm
Good try at evading the question, Louise. Let's try again: what "simple search' did you conduct? Give us a source, huh? Google Tracy Pierce and AIDS and there is NOTHING relevant. But there's a lot when you google him and "kidney cancer".

And even if he did have AIDS (and I repeat you have so far shown no evidence for that other than your "word"), so what? What relevance does that have for denial of treatment for kidney cancer?
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:57 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Louise_R_Heller- I could not find any reference to AIDS either, and I checked quite a few search engines. All that I could find was the article that started this thread. I would be interested in knowing how you knew that this man had AIDS.

Hello??? This is the last time I answer this same inquiry: HOW can I be to blame because YOU can't find something??

Try calling 816 555 1212 and that, for the sake of charity, is information in Kansas City MO. THEN try asking for the aforementioned parties listed in my PREVIOUS post which parties DO have the information you're looking for. Clearly I've wandered into a kindergarten or worse, sorry, my mistake. I'm not likely to repeat it!!!
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:00 pm
You don't list ANY parties in your previous post. What are we supposed to do? Call everybody in Kansas City?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:05 pm
If someone makes a statement of alleged fact of which he/she knows second hand, it is incumbent on that person to post a link to the source of the statement.

Your apparent anger at this simple request makes one question the veracity of your statement.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:09 pm
The accounts I read that didn't indicate he had AIDS are irrelevant to your claim that he did. The only relevant sources to your claim are the ones that back up your statement and the onus is on you to provide them.

I certainly hope a false and unsubstantiated story of AIDS isn't circulating. The poor man is dead and his family has suffered enough without having rumors about AIDS to deal with.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:54 am
He was most likely overweight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:31 am
<snort>
0 Replies