Sisterhood of the Uppity Thyroid

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:02 pm
Oh, didn't see you there while you I was typing, mac... it really wasn't too horrifying. In fact maybe that was a benefit... I was so busy being annoyed (especially at Dr. Beardedandbacklit) that I never really had time to be scared.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:28 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh my!

My grandfather had breast cancer -- hence the whole "family history" thing, since that's a red flag for descendants -- so he must've done the mammogram thing too. I can imagine it'd be tough for guys, unless (especially if?) they are on the corpulent side...

Dlowan, terp = interpreter = ASL interpreter = what allows me to communicate halfway efficiently and/ or non-exhaustingly.

The interpreter was requested when we made the appointment, was promised ("sure, no problem"), and then was not in fact provided. Hiss, boo.

Oh. Grrrrrrr.....that sucks.

Lol! I am accustomed to hearing about "TURP": trans urethral prostectomy...so I was kind of confused. (Worked in urology when I did my hospital stretch.)

Just one cyst?

Poly cystic breasts are a real red flag.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:41 am
They are? <gulp>

I've had them for years. They fill with fluid every so often and I've had them drained a couple times when they get too uncomfortable. My ultrasound is fascinating- looks like a bunch of grapes inside.

Anywho, I'm glad you're in the clear, Soz.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
Just one for me. So far anyway.

Thanks, J_B!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:30 pm
J_B wrote:
They are? <gulp>

I've had them for years. They fill with fluid every so often and I've had them drained a couple times when they get too uncomfortable. My ultrasound is fascinating- looks like a bunch of grapes inside.

Anywho, I'm glad you're in the clear, Soz.

Sadly so...that ans dense breast tissue.

(I am, perforce, up on these things since I have a friend who has had breast cancer who copes by finding out EVERYTHING. So...watch your breasts.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:25 pm
Just got some info I'd been wanting -- records from my last physical, in 2003. TSH levels WERE in fact tested then -- 4.8. That's in the normal range. So whatever is going on is since then. Possible that it's been a slow creep for a while, don't have any further records right now. Just those two measurements. (Dec. 2003, Feb. 2006.)

Meanwhile, in that packet of records I also got the exact TSH from this time, 8.446; I understand that it rounds up to 8.5 which rounds up to 9 and that .5 doesn't make a big difference, but I still though that was interesting.

Meanwhile, working out was going great, then I got sick; worked out once on my first day of getting sick and was wrecked, decided to hold off 'til I was better. I'm better, diving back into things tomorrow. Noticed a definite change in outlook (beyond just being sick, I think) when I wasn't exercising, definitely think that's worth pursuing further. (Working out, seeing where it gets me.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:38 pm
sozobe, didn't you say you lived in Los Angeles then?
Being close to the ocean and having natural iodine in the
air does make a difference. Ever since I've been living
close to the ocean, my TSH levels have been the same,
its stabilized. Before that, I had my dosage adjust just about every year.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:40 pm
I left L.A. in 2000, so probably not.

Interesting, though!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:45 pm
Soz--

I can testify to a positive correlation between exercise and morale--and I loath exercise.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:30 pm
So I'm a bad person, and I realize this, but oh well..

I really, really dislike getting my blood drawn. I have weird veins, hard to get at 'em, too many bad experiences of nurses digging around in there when I was repeatedly tested (re: hearing issues) when I was a teenager.

I wanted to test again before doing anything, to see if the first test was accurate or not.

But I didn't want to do the TEST.

And I felt fine. (Exercise helped immensely.)

So I kept putting it off.

Finally bit the bullet (and have a bruise on my arm to show for it, as the lab technician/ blood drawer person bypassed the inside-of-elbow vein, which is generally hopeless, for one more on the outside part of my arm) and got my results today.

Old TSH level:

sozobe wrote:
Doc replied, yay...

My TSH is 9. Normal range is 1-5. Real problems start appearing at 20 or so.

New TSH level:

Yay!

That's good.

Not clear if the first test was wrong, or if things have just kind of reoriented themselves.

(I never went on any medication for this, just started exercising regularly.)

The free T4 number is out of normal range, though = .83

This seems to be low?

Anyway, will talk to the doctor and go from there.

(Also, no cysts at last two annual breast exams. All normal.)

Thanks again to all who have educated me so much on this subject!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:44 pm
Just researched a bit -- if the free T4 is low, it's barely low.

Range on the lab results = 0.89 - 1.76

Range here = 0.7 - 2.0

The cover letter on the results said "slightly abnormal." I'm hoping that lacking problematic symptoms we can consider this case closed and just keep an eye on things... but will talk to the doctor and see.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:18 pm
Ahhhh, good.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:17 pm
Glad to hear the good news, soz.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:37 am
Exercise accomplished wonders.