STATE OF THE UNION AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 02:41 pm
A humorous jab at the Democrats or any other group in context with the thread topic - acceptable. Personally directed insults at another member, not acceptable.

I hope very much we can stay on topic here as there is so much interesting substance that can be discussed here.

Seriously, though I know Ican and Okie were both speculating tongue in cheek, Tico has already pointed out how it is very difficult to hold the U.S. government responsible for either negligance or incompetence which is a good thing since every American could be sueing the govenrment every day.

And it may be impossible to get some necessary reforms through at the national level purely because so much of the government is controlled or influenced by people who want no reforms.

I wonder if we could start at the state level though and it would hold up constitutionally? Shutting down class action suits, putting caps on malpractice that doesn't involve gross negligence, protecting pharmaceutical companies from massive lawsuits if a drug has an unexpected adverse affect on somebody, etc. could put a state on the map as the most desirable place in the world to do business, practice medicine, get into R & D, etc. Something like that could really catch on.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
Foxfyre, I think your concept of starting tort reform at the state level is not only logical but practical too. We are already witnessing migrations like you suggest from income tax states to non-income tax states. Yes, why not add tort reform as an additional incentive?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:32 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Foxfyre, I think your concept of starting tort reform at the state level is not only logical but practical too. We are already witnessing migrations like you suggest from income tax states to non-income tax states. Yes, why not add tort reform as an additional incentive?

Well I've had time to think about that now and have also discussed it with the other former adjuster in the household. He has infinitely more experience and expertise than I do. So here's the deal as I (we) see it:

A state could impose caps on malpractice suits that could easily more than halve malpractice insurance and encourage good doctors to move to or stay in the state. A state could put caps on product liability for goods and services that are produced, used, and consumed within the state.
Some kind of loser pays system would eliminate most nuisance suits and would also encourage insurance companies to challenge more suits that everybody knows are bogus but the high cost of defending a suit, even if you win, is often cost prohibitive. Class action suits owuld be outlawed.

Caps would not apply of course in cases where it could be proved that somebody knowingly and willfully created pr allowed a hazard to exist and took no measures to inform others of the hazard.

The problem comes when products and services cross state lines. Here the Feds would have to be involved.

But maybe even reforms at the state level would create so much more friendly business environment, create jobs, raise the standard of living, etc. that the concept would become infectious.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Seriously, though I know Ican and Okie were both speculating tongue in cheek, Tico has already pointed out how it is very difficult to hold the U.S. government responsible for either negligance or incompetence which is a good thing since every American could be sueing the govenrment every day.

It was definitely tongue in cheek. I've heard all my life that its useless to try to sue the government. If theres any way at all, I think maybe the environmentalists and other groups may now be trying it?

We desperately need tort reform. This has been one of President Bush's key policy goals for health care reform. Even my restricted circle of experience in this field tells me that such reform would impact the industry in a major fashion. A doctor in our family has practiced for a long long time, so has rates grandfathered in, has experienced no suits of any kind, plus the type of work was general so that risky specialized procedures and care was not involved, but even at that his costs were I think about $25,000 annually. Now if you are a brain surgeon or perhaps a doctor that delivers babies as just a couple of examples, insurance will run you several hundred thousand per year I think. Simple logic could calculate how many patients is required just to pay your insurance before you could even begin to factor in all the other costs in order to do business. Add to this scenario the fact that such doctors are retiring early or not entering those specialties solely because of insurance and malpractice risks, leaving the profession very short of needed professionals, thus reducing competition, thus driving up costs even further.

Guess who blocks needed tort reform? You guessed it. Democrats. Too many in the legal profession that control them. Another little tidbit. Such lawyers opposing tort reform are also use people otherwise known as "LOBBYISTS." I wonder how many dollars are involved behind the scenes to congressmen, etc. from such lobbyists? Just wondering.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:01 am
Foxfyre wrote:

The problem comes when products and services cross state lines. Here the Feds would have to be involved.

But maybe even reforms at the state level would create so much more friendly business environment, create jobs, raise the standard of living, etc. that the concept would become infectious.

Oh Oh! You've just alerted me to a comcomitant problem: "the feds would have to be involved." Yes they would, because so much of US commerce is interstate. When they are involved we become easier victims of legislating federal judges who will without hesitation overrule state legislation they don't like. Clearly many of them won't like tort reform. Consequently, concurrent with tort reform at the state level, we must find a way to replace legislating federal judges with that those who will apply the law as adopted and not reconstruct it.

Perhaps the positive consequences of tort reform at the state level that you referred to , if rapid enough, can gain so much support soon enough that the voters will elect members of Congress who possess the gonads to advocate and actually impeach and remove legislating judges as fast as such judges "rear their heads" (double entendre intended).
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
okie wrote:

Guess who blocks needed tort reform? You guessed it. Democrats. Too many in the legal profession that control them. Another little tidbit. Such lawyers opposing tort reform are also use people otherwise known as "LOBBYISTS." I wonder how many dollars are involved behind the scenes to congressmen, etc. from such lobbyists? Just wondering.

We need to discuss campaign finance reform as a prerequisite to lobbying reform. I favor canceling all campaign finance laws except those dealing with political donations from non-citizens of the USA. What the current law actually does is remove competition for Congressional influence. I think that if there were more open competition for campaign funds, fewer individual groups would be able to monopolize the influencing of Congress.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:03 am
Well perhaps the following ties in too. I get a little periodic newsletter from a group called "The American Conservative" and this was in this morning's mail:

Quote:
"... if you fail to pass appropriations bills by the start of the fiscal year -- which is your job, which is what you are paid to do -- your paycheck will be held until you complete your job -- period."

--Senator George Allen --

You read that right! Senator George Allen wants to send a simple message to Congress -- DO YOUR JOB OR FORFEIT YOUR PAY!

Senator Allen just proposed a bill (S. 2262) which calls for the withholding of congressional paychecks if Congressmen and Senators fail to pass all appropriations bills by October 1.

This bill is part of a three-pronged attack to reign in pork barrel spending that also includes:

the passage of a balanced budget amendment

and giving the President a line-item veto

As Senator Allen put it, "It's absurd that full-time legislators can't get their job done on-time, by October 1 -- then several months later -- all kinds of unknown, unchecked spending occurs. They pass it in the dead of night, thinking nobody will notice what's in these appropriations bills."

Allen also said: "What my measure will do is say very clearly, if you fail to pass appropriations bills by the start of the fiscal year -- which is your job, which is what you are paid to do -- your paycheck will be held until you complete your job -- period."

Allen put his money where his mouth was: At the end of last week he introduced the "Pay Check Penalty" (S. 2262) in the U.S. Senate.

Allen said of his colleagues:

"I know this proposal will not be popular in the halls of Congress, but it will be much-appreciated and understood by real people in the real world. It provides powerful incentives for Senators and Congressmen to perform their jobs on time, with discipline, just like people in the private sector."

Let's give this good man all the help we can.

At last, someone on Capitol Hill remembers what the Republican Party has been saying for decades. It's time to stop stealing hard-earned money from the American people.

I don't know about you guys, but if this guy is for real, then I think he's the next President of the United States.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but if this guy is for real, then I think he's the next President of the United States.

Ditto!
Can anyone tell us more about Senator George Allen?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:46 pm
I know very little. I've heard him interviewed on Hannity and sounds like a reasonable, balanced thinker. I believe he is the son of the famous coach, was it George Allen?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 09:17 am
okie wrote:
I know very little. I've heard him interviewed on Hannity and sounds like a reasonable, balanced thinker. I believe he is the son of the famous coach, was it George Allen?

There was a George Allen who coached the Washington Redskins, I believe. That would definitely put a Senator Allen from Virginia into the neighborhood.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:20 am
Some Smile of my questions for would-be candidates for President of the USA are, what specifically do you propose for:
1. Homeland Security
2. Intelligence Gathering, Analysis, and Dissemination
----Foreign?
----Domestic?
3. Defense Against Terrorist Sanctuaries
----Iraq?
----Afghanistan?
----Iran?
----Syria?
----Saudi Arabia?
----North Korea?
----Palestine?
4. Federal Judges?
5. Tort Law?
6. Federal Campaign Finance?
7. Federal Taxes
----Income Tax?
----CorporateTax?
----Dividend Tax?
----Estate Tax?
----Social Security Tax?
----Minimum Tax?
----Excise Tax?
----Tariffs?
8. Federal Policies
----Defense?
----Immigration?
----Education?
----Social Security?
----Medicare?
----Medicaid?
----Unemployment?
----Foreign Aid?
9. Federal Spending
----Defense?
----Immigration?
----Education?
----Social Security?
----Medicare?
----Medicaid?
----Unemployment?
----Foreign Aid?
10. The Highest Priority Objectives for the Next Administration?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:43 pm
Your list sounds too reasonable. How about how much can the candidate promise to as many people as possible? I hate to be cynical, but that is probably how half the population will base their vote.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:56 pm
okie wrote:
Your list sounds too reasonable. How about how much can the candidate promise to as many people as possible? I hate to be cynical, but that is probably how half the population will base their vote.

There's hope for better. The population in my limited circle of acquaintances spans a wide spectrum of folks from laborers to PHDs. While the laborers appear to have caught on faster than the PHDs (laborers can least afford being screwed by the big spenders), they all now appear to think that the Democrats will take this country down the toilet if elected into leadership positions.

Oh, one caution. All those people in my circle of acquaintances work in aviation. Of course, everyone knows that aviators always have their heads in the clouds. Laughing

.... But not in toilets!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:15 pm
Smile

I'll take my chances with clouds vs toilets any day when it comes to what I'll pin my hopes on.

The thing is that most conservatives want a conservative agenda with enough compassion that the baby isn't thrown out with the bathwater. And I think those two concepts are compatible. And I think a principle related to everything on Ican's list will also fit within those two concepts.

What we need to focus on therefore is reforming a system to make it far less possible to be personally opportunistic when serving in Congress and then elect somebody who believes in that conservative agenda. Elect a true conservative along with a seriously conservative congressional majority, and all the rest will be taken care of in time. There is no way any one administration or Congress is going to unscramble it in one or two terms, however, especially when they aren't even trying.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:57 pm
One of the keys is the media. I forget who said it with one of the major networks, but it was a liberal with CNN or similar that admitted the media was worth in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 percentage points in a national election. I agree with that. If we could turn that around to a balance, perhaps more conservatives that better reflect the general population would be more likely to be elected. Most citizens have to balance their checkbooks every day, go to work, and most live conservatively. I personally know Democrats that are so uninformed, so ignorant of what their leaders are actually doing, and I know what these Democrats actually believe and how they live their own lives with conservative values, so I know it is a matter of better information and better, more balanced reporting.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 05:57 pm
Quote:
The Example of Our First President
by Edward Hudgins

[This commentary is from The Objectivist Center/Atlas Society archives, dated February 26, 2004. It originally appeared in The Washington Times.]

George Washington unfortunately has become a cliché. For an older generation, he was too often treated as such a mythic figure that it was difficult to appreciate his true importance. In today’s politically correct society many treat him as a white, male oppressor. Most of us celebrate his birthday by shopping the sales at the mall. This is not a bad use of our time, but it is appropriate to take a moment to reflect on the real greatness of the real Washington and the moral lessons he taught us.

Washington exemplified the spirit of early America. He was in his heart and for most of his life a farmer and an innovator who developed new crops and agricultural techniques. He valued the production of wealth as a worthy goal in life. But he also understood that the freedom to produce often must be fought for.

Washington was the general who won America’s independence from Britain, then one of the world’s strongest powers. It was an incredible feat. In 1777, when he marched his 12,000 ragtag volunteers to winter camp at Valley Forge, their prospects were as bleak as the bitter weather. Some 2,000 men died from the brutal cold and from sickness. But the volunteers persevered in large part because of Washington, who forged them into a formidable army. He was no great orator but he had the inspiring words of Thomas Paine read to his frozen troops: “These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.” This certainly is an appropriate epitaph for Washington and the Continental Army soldiers who ensured the survival of the United States.

Washington’s achievements reflected his outstanding moral character. He set for himself the highest standards in everything he did and thus became exemplar for his associates and his fellow countrymen. Indeed, when he presided over the Constitutional Convention, he spoke little. It was his example—the fact that the other delegates were in the presence of Washington—that kept those delegates on their best behavior and inspired them to look to the good of the country.

But Washington was not some ever-frowning moralist; he enjoyed life, whether at a dance or dinner party or just riding through his beloved Mt. Vernon estate.

Washington hardly considered himself a philosopher like his friend Thomas Jefferson. But he lived his philosophy. For example, he was born into a slave society but his experiences in life led him appreciate the evils of that institution. He freed his slaves at his death. [Added note: He also provided for their upkeep, education or training for trades after they were freed.]

Perhaps Washington’s most important legacy was his attitude towards political power. After his victory over Britain some suggested that he be made king of the new America. He adamantly refused. He wanted to return to his farm. In this he followed the example of the retired Roman Senator Cincinnatus who was called away from his farm by a Senate that gave him absolute power to defeat an invading army. As general, Cincinnatus accomplished his goal in a matter of weeks and then, with total power, the esteem of his people and an army in his hands, gave up his position and returned to his plough. Sculptor Jean Antoine Houdon’s statue in the Virginia state house, the only one Washington every posed for, depicts him as a general setting aside his sword and returning to civilian life.

Illustrative of his deep integrity, Washington resigned from the Cincinnati Society, an organization for Revolutionary War veterans, because he feared it would create in the new nation a hereditary class of nobles. Washington believed that individuals should be honored for their own achievements, not for the achievements of their ancestors.

Washington, our first president, set the example for future presidents by limiting himself to two terms in office. He is reputed to have said, "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence—it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearsome master." This is an understanding that too many American citizens and politicians have lost.

George Washington indeed should be honored by all Americans today as he was by Henry Lee who wrote at the time of Washington’s passing that he was “First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.”

The Objectivist Center
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:36 pm
They left out that he married into wealth.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:14 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
They left out that he married into wealth.

They also left out that he was 8 feet tall.

Neither are true, but what the hell! Even if they were both true, I think, while neither would be significant, the latter would be more significant than the former.

www.britannica.com
(emphasis added by me)
Quote:
born Feb. 22, 1732, Westmoreland county, Va.
died Dec. 14, 1799, Mount Vernon, Va., U.S.

American Revolutionary commander-in-chief (1775–83) and first president of the U.S. (1789–97).

Born into a wealthy family, he was educated privately. In 1752 he inherited his brother's estate at Mount Vernon, including 18 slaves; their ranks grew to 49 by 1760, though he disapproved of slavery. In the French and Indian War he was commissioned a colonel and sent to the Ohio Territory. After Edward Braddock was killed, Washington became commander of all Virginia forces, entrusted with defending the western frontier (1755–58). He resigned to manage his estate and in 1759 married Martha Dandridge Custis (1731–1802), a widow. He served in the House of Burgesses (1759–74), where he supported the colonists' cause, and later in the Continental Congress (1774–75). In 1775 he was elected to command the Continental Army. In the ensuing American Revolution, he proved a brilliant commander and a stalwart leader, despite several defeats. With the war effectively ended by the capture of Yorktown (1781), he resigned his commission and returned to Mount Vernon (1783). He was a delegate to and presiding officer of the Constitutional Convention (1787) and helped secure ratification of the Constitution in Virginia. When the state electors met to select the first president (1789), Washington was the unanimous choice. He formed a cabinet to balance sectional and political differences but was committed to a strong central government. Elected to a second term, he followed a middle course between the political factions that later became the Federalist Party and the Democratic Party. He proclaimed a policy of neutrality in the war between Britain and France (1793) and sent troops to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion (1794). He declined to serve a third term (thereby setting a 144-year precedent) and retired in 1797 after delivering his “Farewell Address.” Known as the “father of his country,” he is universally regarded as one of the greatest figures in U.S. history.

In other words, Washington was already wealthy when he married Martha, and he accomplished a great deal despite both handicaps. Shocked
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:18 am
I've often wondered why it was considered a negative when a conservative happens to be born into a well-to-do family or acquires wealth by his/her own initiative, but no such negative is assumed if a person is a liberal and/or Democrat. Further you see liberals criticize conservatives and/or Republicans for being among the 'rich' and I have yet to see any criticize a liberal politician for such sins.

In my opinion, because of the parity in power and elections, this perhaps unintentionally hypocritical phenomenon is one of the reasons we are having so many problems getting Congress to even deal with the most productive tax reforms, the most efficient lobby reform. Democrats/liberals use class envy effectively to manipulate their voters, and the Conservatives are too timid these days to articulate realities.

I'm thinking Thomas Sowell's suggestion of paying Congressional members $1 million a year but cutting out all perks, contributions, pension plans, etc. etc. etc. and severely limiting expense accounts would go a long way to accomplishing serious reforms in several areas. And it would even limit the class envy card to some extent I think.

The bottom line is that we need to get back to the discussion of whether it is more compassionate to take from the rich to give to the poor (the liberal view) or whether it is more compassionate to enable the poor to become rich (the conservative view.)
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

The bottom line is that we need to get back to the discussion of whether it is more compassionate to take from the rich to give to the poor (the liberal view) or whether it is more compassionate to enable the poor to become rich (the conservative view.)

Yes! Sort of ...

But before I do, I'd like to bring up a supplemental theory about why the Democrats practice their obvious double standards without any apparent embarassment.

Theory: Democrats frequently villify Republicans of doing exactly what Democrats actually do, because they think Republicans do the things they do without the compassion that Democrats feel, and if people do things when feeling insufficient compassion, the things they do are faulty.

For example:
(1) Warrantless phone monitoring.
Warrantless phone monitoring by the allegely compassionate Bill Clinton is acceptable to Democrats, but not acceptable by George Bush, because Democrats feel George Bush doesn't feel enough compassion.

(2) Accidents.
An accidental death of a passenger of the allegedly compassionate Ted Kennedy, while driving drunk, is far more acceptable to Democrats than an accidental wounding of a fellow hunter by Dick Cheney, because Democrats feel Dick Cheney doesn't feel enough compassion.

(3) Reporting.
Delayed reporting by the allegedly compassionate Democrat administration of Vince Foster's alleged suicide is far more acceptable to Democrats, than is the delayed reporting by the Republican administration of Dick Cheney's hunting accident, because Democrats feel the Republican administration doesn't feel enough compassion.

(4) Capturing Osama bin Laden.
Rejection by the allegedly compassionate Bill Clinton of three opportunities to capture Osama bin Laden is far more acceptable to Democrats, than is George Bush's failure to locate Osama bin Laden because Democrats feel George Bush doesn't feel enough compassion.

(5) Obtaining UN support.
Failure by Bill Clinton to obtain UN support for the Bosnia invasion is far more acceptable to Democrats, than is the failure by George Bush to obtain UN support for the Iraq invasion, because Democrats feel the Republican administration doesn't feel enough compassion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now why did I bring this up first? I brought it up first because conservatives are increasingly making the big mistake of allowing themselves to be sucked in to the compassion basis for evaluating policies, when they should resist that like a plague. No matter how much compassion conservatives actually feel it will always be perceived by Democrats and their LIEbral news media as insufficient. Rather we should be evaluating our policies strictly on the basis of what actually makes things work better for Americans and what actually makes things work worse for Americans.

So with my usual presumption, Foxfyre, I recommend this restatement of your above quoted statement:

The bottom line is that we need to get back to the discussion of whether it [will work better for Americans] to take from the rich to give to the poor (the liberal view), or whether it [will work better for Americans] to enable the poor to become rich (the conservative view.)

There is a preponderance of evidence that federal programs that take from the rich to give to the poor (the liberal view), hurt the poor far more than the rich, and in fact work worse for Americans than federal programs that enable the poor to become rich (the conservative view).

I think the highest priority federal program for enabling the poor to become rich, is a program that enables the poor to get a good education for their children and themselves. To achieve that, I think we need to return to an education system that is absent federal intervention like that system that was so effective for educating millions of immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In other words, the federal education program that will work best for Americans is the null federal education program.
0 Replies