Passage ...... Where do you go after you die

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:56 am
Gels, Cloning humans has been illegal in the US, and I'm not updated on what has happened in other countries. As for the problems associated with cloning, it's what the media has been telling us since cloning became a hot topic. Haven't seen anything to dispute that - yet.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 10:35 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Gels, Cloning humans has been illegal in the US, and I'm not updated on what has happened in other countries. As for the problems associated with cloning, it's what the media has been telling us since cloning became a hot topic. Haven't seen anything to dispute that - yet.

Haven't done any research yet have we CI ..... sorry, can't accept conjecture. Smile

I haven't ignored anything Rosborn, you answered your question in asking it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 10:37 am
Conjectures all we got!
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 10:51 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Conjectures all we got!

Do I have to do everything? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Read me
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
I haven't ignored anything Rosborn, you answered your question in asking it.

Unfortunately, the question has yet to be addressed, except possibly by your actions in avoiding it. And while that does tell me something about you in particular, it isn't very interesting otherwise.

Thanks anyway,
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 12:16 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 12:16 pm
JL, stumbled across this whilst surfing ....

Quote:
This source of answers to the mysteries of life has no unifying name for its body of knowledge. Various parts of its principal concepts are actually scattered throughout different cultures and countries with no central collection point for the ideas. Because of this, and because many of its ideas are not widely known (often the adherents of these ideas have purposefully withheld them from the public), this school of thought can be referred to as the "secret teachings." But it is not a single school of thought; rather, it's a hodgepodge of concepts from many diverse and often unrelated sources that reveal a very similar view of life and its meaning.

The beginning of consciousness

Science might categorize the secret teachings as metaphysical, meaning "beyond the known laws and observations of physics." Religion might refer to them as mystical, meaning that they belong to a collection of thought considered too mysterious to consider or of dubious origin.

It's interesting to note that the great religions had sects that knew of and ascribed to some or all of the secret teachings. In Islam it was the Sufis; in Judaism, the Kabbalists; in early Christianity, the Gnostics and later, from the Middle Ages through the Reformation to even modern times, the many Christian mystics.

Science, too, has had its adherents to concepts held by the secret teachings. Many quantum physicists have written about theories of life beyond the physically observable. In the field of medicine, doctors have found that some patients, who have been declared dead and later revived have had near-death experiences that confirm many of the concepts found in the secret teachings.

According to the secret teachings, the universe was not first created out of matter, but existed prior to material creation in spirit form. Imagine a consciousness similar to our own, except that this first consciousness was boundless, a Universal Consciousness. This is God. At some point, the Universal Consciousness desired to express itself. It began to conceive, to imagine, and to express Its inner promptings. And so the creation began - light, sound ... eventually stars, galaxies, trees, and rivers. This point in creation was still prior to the physical creation of the universe that science records. This was a realm of thought; no physical forms existed, only thoughts in the consciousness of the Universe. The physical universe had not yet been created.

According to the secret teachings, there came a point in this creation where the Creator's Consciousness desired to bring forth companions, creatures like unto Itself that would share in this expression of life. In order for the creatures to be more than creations, they had to possess individual consciousness and freedom so that they could choose to be companions. Otherwise, they would only have been servants of the Original Consciousness. So within the One Universal Consciousness many individual points of consciousness were awakened and given freedom.

It's important for us to realize that at this point in our existence we did not have physical bodies. All of what has just been described occurred within the Mind of God. Consequently, its "form" resembled that of thought rather than physical objects. In the very beginning we were individual points of consciousness within the one great Universal Consciousness.

At first we were quiet, our wills content to observe the wonders of the spiritual creation as they flowed from the Mind of God. In these early periods we were so much a part of the Creator's Consciousness that we were one with It, virtually indistinguishable from It. However, it wasn't long before some of us began to use our wills and express ourselves. At first, we simply imitated the Creator, but eventually we gained experience, and with experience came knowledge and confidence. Then, we truly began to create on our own, adding new realms to the spiritual creation, much like a second voice adds to a song by singing harmony with the main melody.

This was exactly why we had been created - to share in and contribute to the great expression of life and to be Its companions. To fulfill this purpose we were created in the image of the Creator: consciousness with freedom, capable of conceiving, perceiving, and remembering; capable of communicating directly with the Creator and the other companions.

Consciousness and free will were the greatest qualities given any creation, but they came with equally great responsibility for their use or misuse. Of course, the all-knowing Universal One knew the potential dangers in giving beings complete freedom to do as they desired. However, the potential joy of sharing life with true companions, not servants, was deemed worth the risk. Therefore, each of these new free-willed beings would simply have to learn to take charge of themselves and to subdue harmful desires in order to live in harmony with the other companions and the Creator. To do otherwise would only bring chaos, suffering, and separation.

Continuation.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:15 am
Rosbourne, at least some minds accept the idea that they can and will cease to exist. But I understand why many people hope for eternal life (in Paradise, of course) Very Happy

Given that many minds/souls do not even survive life, it amazes me that so many people believe that they can survive death. Do they really think that a mind ravished by disease/dementia will be magically restored to full functioning when the body dies? Where was that allegedly-immortal soul for the years its owner spent wasting away in a nursing home?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:16 am
Doug, identical twins ARE naturally occurring clones, since they result from accidental duplication of a fertilized egg, but they certainly do not have identical minds or souls. What would be the point of duplicating your body when it is impossible to duplicate your brain? (DNA does not specify each neural connection but only the general rules for wiring.) In any case, it is the non-transferable memories and experiences throughout life that make you who you are, so your clone would share nothing but your genes. You might just as well have children in the ordinary way. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 10:03 am
The personality of the individual are composed from their genes and their environment. Clones will live in a different environment, so no duplication is possible - in addition to what Terry described above.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:32 am
Terry wrote:
Rosbourne, at least some minds accept the idea that they can and will cease to exist. But I understand why many people hope for eternal life (in Paradise, of course) Very Happy

By posing the question your mind accepts the premise thereby answering the question and making any further answer redundant.

Given that many minds/souls do not even survive life, it amazes me that so many people believe that they can survive death. Do they really think that a mind ravished by disease/dementia will be magically restored to full functioning when the body dies?

Mind, people, body and soul ..... if the four of them were in a car that smashed head on into a wall, which would be more likly to survive.
Why would you want to restore a pea to it's pod after the pod has served it's purpose?

Where was that allegedly-immortal soul for the years its owner spent wasting away in a nursing home?

Refer to the pea pod analogy.

Terry wrote:
Doug, identical twins ARE naturally occurring clones, since they result from accidental duplication of a fertilized egg, but they certainly do not have identical minds or souls.

In sexual reproduction, a child gets half its genes from its mother (in her egg) and half from its father (in his sperm).... This combination of genes is a fundamental basis for human variation and diversity. In the case of clonal reproduction, all of the cloned child's genes would come from a body cell of a single individual. If I had a clone it would not be my brother, it would be a copy of me.

What would be the point of duplicating your body when it is impossible to duplicate your brain? (DNA does not specify each neural connection but only the general rules for wiring.) In any case, it is the non-transferable memories and experiences throughout life that make you who you are, so your clone would share nothing but your genes. You might just as well have children in the ordinary way. :wink:

DNA would make an exact duplicate of my brain ..... my sul is an entirely different recipie, who knows?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:41 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
The personality of the individual are composed from their genes and their environment. Clones will live in a different environment, so no duplication is possible - in addition to what Terry described above.

CI, you must be talking about that clone that lives over on 42nd ..... you can't go by him, he's nuts. Been that way ever since his date with Dolly. :wink:

MUWA MUWA MUWAHAHAHAHA
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:16 pm
Terry wrote:

Hi Terry, nice to hear from you. I guess I should have phrased my question with more detail... Obviously some people can accept that they may cease to exist, but the human mind probably can not imagine what that state of being is really like. I know I have trouble doing it. A total lack of thought and identity is a state which we never experience, and I'm wondering if that simple fact colors much of the philosophy and culture in which we find ourselves.

When I try to imagine what it is like to not exist I often find myself pinching myself and noticing that I'm still alive. It seems that the only way to know what non-existence is like, is to indulge in existence.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The personality of the individual are composed from their genes and their environment. Clones will live in a different environment, so no duplication is possible.

Correct, and even very similar environmental situations lead to differences in personality as well as physiology. This has been demonstrated by experiment, as well as simply knowing a pair of twins. Anyone who has known twins, knows that they are different despite their identical genetic makeup.

Here's a good article on the diversity of cloned pigs. The results were quite surprising in the variability of behavior and physiology of cloned pigs.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
In sexual reproduction, a child gets half its genes from its mother (in her egg) and half from its father (in his sperm).... This combination of genes is a fundamental basis for human variation and diversity.

Yes, we know this already. The point is, that when identical twinning occurs, the single genetic cell you are talking about splits into two distinct identical genetic structures; an even better replication than can currently be accomplished with cloning (See Telomeres).
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 03:07 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
In sexual reproduction, a child gets half its genes from its mother (in her egg) and half from its father (in his sperm).... This combination of genes is a fundamental basis for human variation and diversity.

Yes, we know this already. The point is, that when identical twinning occurs, the single genetic cell you are talking about splits into two distinct identical genetic structures; an even better replication than can currently be accomplished with cloning (See Telomeres).

How about using the whole quote just to be honest ....OK?

Quote:
In sexual reproduction, a child gets half its genes from its mother (in her egg) and half from its father (in his sperm).... This combination of genes is a fundamental basis for human variation and diversity. In the case of clonal reproduction, all of the cloned child's genes would come from a body cell of a single individual. If I had a clone it would not be my brother, it would be a copy of me.

Had you done that everyone could see that a clone, asexually reproduced .... has only the donor's genes, not one each from the mother and the father.

This is tough stuff for conjecture or winging, you really should respect the forum by trying to be at least a bit more versed n the subject. While thirty five years in medicine hardly qualifies me as a genetic expert, I have tried to learn what I could.
For instance, not all twins are identical ..... it' true....

How Twins Are Made!

Multiple births in human beings arise either from the simultaneous impregnation of more than one ovum or from the impregnation of a single ovum that divides into two or more parts, each of which develops into a distinct embryo. A woman normally releases a single egg from an ovary about once a month. Once the egg is fertilized by a sperm cell, it is called a zygote. It is then implanted in the wall of the uterus where it develops until birth. Occasionally, two or more eggs are released.

Basically there are two types of twins. Some are so similar that they are called identical twins while others are no more similar than ordinary siblings and are called non-identical, or fraternal twins.

How Fraternal Twins Are Made!

Well, unlike identical twins which arise from the splitting of a single
fertilized egg, fraternal twins arise from two different fertilized eggs
(i.e. each fertilized by a different sperm). These separate fertilized eggs
have the same genetic relatedness as ordinary siblings (brothers and
sisters). Thus only half of the genes in the twins are identical.
Basically fraternal twins are no different than two siblings born
several years apart. It was just that 2 eggs were released into the
fallopian tube of the female instead of one.

How Identical Twins Are Made!

Identical twins are formed when one fertilized egg splints in two.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
How about using the whole quote just to be honest ....OK?

Quote:

Had you done that everyone could see that a clone, asexually reproduced .... has only the donor's genes, not one each from the mother and the father.

Ok, I'll leave it in its original form, but it's not going to change anything. Because just like a clone, a twin takes all its genetic information from a single individual (itself). A twin *is* a natural clone.

Gelisgesti wrote:
This is tough stuff for conjecture or winging, you really should respect the forum by trying to be at least a bit more versed n the subject. While thirty five years in medicine hardly qualifies me as a genetic expert, I have tried to learn what I could.

Give me a break Gel. Most people on this forum know me from years of conversation, so they can judge for themselves who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. You really aren't doing yourself any favors here.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:02 pm
Quote:
Ok, I'll leave it in its original form, but it's not going to change anything. Because just like a clone, a twin takes all its genetic information from a single individual (itself). A twin *is* a natural clone.

I'll bet that if you look that up you'll change it .... I'm tired of trying to educate you, if you start to make sense instead of making stuff up then we can talk, this is the last stupid post Iwill answer.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:14 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
I'll bet that if you look that up you'll change it .... I'm tired of trying to educate you, if you start to make sense instead of making stuff up then we can talk, this is the last stupid post Iwill answer.

Yeh, I feel the same way about your posts. But its just as well, because this whole thing about using cloning to duplicate your identity is pretty foolish to start with.

(Here's a reference to cloning and twins, just for the fun of it)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:26 pm
rosborne, I agree with your posts concerning this discussion. I think you're barking up the wrong "oink" with gels. His mind is made up.
0 Replies