Passage ...... Where do you go after you die

New Haven

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 03:34 pm
Where do you go? Don't know!

Do know where you don't go...You don't ever go home again.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 03:48 pm
directly to the pub.

then off to my wake to see how i look.

then to the funeral to see if i'm late like they said i'd be.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 06:51 am
Well, you would think it (our destination) would be other than worm food. It would have to be one of the destinations viewed in the natural order of things...... reproductive, nahh, that would be a means to an end, fun but not destination.
OK, not physical, how about 'spiritual', not as in God, but personal spiritual evolution? Higher and higher planes of personal spiritual realization.

What think ye?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:04 am
You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself 'How did I get here?' (With apologies to David Byrne)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:12 am
Quote:
OK, not physical, how about 'spiritual', not as in God, but personal spiritual evolution? Higher and higher planes of personal spiritual realization.

Again, a lovely idea, but flies in the face of reason. If one thinks in terms of the evolution of the human race, I could agree that we are progressing in terms of evolution. Spiritual? I think we are far more evolved in terms of knowledge and technology, than we are in the spiritual realm.

Human beings are still fighting over the same things that our ancestors did, only we are more advanced techonogically; Territory, power, mates, and religion. And religion, which supposedly was developed to increase the spiritual nature of human beings, is the area where humanity is most like our ancestors. If you think about it, what is the one single most important thing that is causing unrest in the world today....religion!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:34 am
Yes Pheonix, absolutely. Religion and net congestion, lol.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 10:04 am
Why can't God and spirituality 'not' be linked? Look at the American Indian , spiritual without question, but without religion, a man made concept.

The spirit is subjective, God and religion are objective.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 11:11 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Why can't God and spirituality 'not' be linked? Look at the American Indian , spiritual without question, but without religion, a man made concept.

The spirit is subjective, God and religion are objective.

Ge

First of all -- HI! I don't think we've talked here in this forum -- but I enjoyed our give and takes over in Abuzz.

Could you flesh out that "God and religion are objective" thought a bit. I am not buying it at all -- and I'm wondering if I've missed your point.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 06:36 am
Spirit
Ah Frank ..... yes we have had some exchanges andI have learned not to play by Frank's rules ... the wily trout recognizes a familiar pattern and presentation.

Ge's forum, Ge's rules ..... explain if you will the basis of your objection to my assertion.

Quote:
Could you flesh out that "God and religion are objective" thought a bit. I am not buying it at all -- and I'm wondering if I've missed your point.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 07:54 am
Re: Spirit
Gelisgesti wrote:
Ah Frank ..... yes we have had some exchanges andI have learned not to play by Frank's rules ... the wily trout recognizes a familiar pattern and presentation.

Ge's forum, Ge's rules ..... explain if you will the basis of your objection to my assertion.

Quote:

Okay!

I don't think notions of gods are any more objective than notions about any other unknown. They are guesses essentially -- not even rising to the level of hypotheses, because they are not posited for the purposes of providing a means to test, verify or contradict.

The purpose of my question was to determine if perhaps you had something else in mind -- not to set a trap. That's why I indicated I was wondering if I missed your point.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:12 am
My dowsing teacher the late Campbell Line used to say," all thoughts are energy and part of a greater bioelectrical pattern.All ideas past ,present and future are always there omnipresent at all times. A dowser simply taps into that body of knowledge and extrapolates it's information." Much like the new quantom theory in physics, I believe
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 08:54 am
I shall attempt an answer to your satisfaction.
I, as do all others of my species, sense my reality .... yes everyone has a right to what they sense is real ... I think therefore I am. The subjective nature of the interpretation of my perceptions causes me to surmise 'there is more to me than basic cellular level respiration'. A thought that invariably leads to the conclusion that I am independent of my reality. If not, there would be only sensations, never subjective reasoning .... or thought. We each are born with a spirit .... a subjective source of whatever you care to call it ...... power, energy ......, each different but with the same destination, awareness ...... awareness of self as taught by interaction with it's host.

Objectivity of God and religion?

One entry found for objective.
Main Entry: 1ob·jec·tive
Pronunciation: &b-'jek-tiv, äb-
Function: adjective
Date: 1620
1 a : relating to or existing as an object of thought without consideration of independent existence.

God and religion ..... fabrications. Does this make me an atheist? No .... just a realist.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 09:45 am
Ge

Obviously you were heading somewhere other than where I thought you might be going with your comment. So I'll drop that.

However, you did write:

Quote:
God and religion ..... fabrications. Does this make me an atheist? No .... just a realist.

You seem to be getting very obtuse in your old age. Once again, I ask for clarification.

Are you saing that God and religion are just fabrications?

And if you are, why not just say it instead of hinting at it -- so that a reader is not sure of what you are saying? Are you trying for plausible deniability?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 11:14 am
Yes Frank, contrived, created in the minds of men to serve whatever end. Think about it ..... someone with the power to create could have made us to worship him by building it in at the factory.
'What about free will'?
What about it? Do you call free will the choice of eternal life, earned by a life of worship as opposed by eternal damnation for not worshiping. I'm slow, point out the free part please. Men can't lead worthy lives without worshipping an invisible deity?
How about this for controversial ... missionaries have done more damage than good by destroying men's Gods and replacing them with their own.

Plausibility? ....no thank you
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 11:14 pm
soul
What's the question, where do we go after we die? I don't know where we go, but I don't think there is a "we" after we die to go anywhere. I think we become what we were before we were born: the universe (whatever that is). And that's what we are now, but ego obscures that fact.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:44 am
Hoboken?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 10:36 am
afterlife
Edgarblythe, good to hear from you. But why so ambiguous? Are you referring to heaven or hell?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 10:54 am
Hi JLNobody,

Your viewpoint sounds a lot like mine (see previous post). It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my "strange" view of things Wink

The Universe is as much a part of us, as we are a part of it. I doubt that consciousness changes anything in the equation, other than to obscure the grander illusion.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 11:07 am
afterlife
Rosborne, I hadn't read your previous post. If I had, I would be telling you just about what you just told me. Very Happy Talk to you in a week.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:43 pm
If I get my wish, my body will be cremated, then thrown into the Pacific Ocean. c.i.
0 Replies