Lott down Santorum to go

snood

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 01:05 pm
mamajuana wrote:
Snood - the cumulative force of group vote loss is what could make a difference. Me, I'd be just as happy if george never slept again.

And, there have been questions raised about why Estrada - the embattled republic nominee to a court - has not engaged more of a hispanic cheering section. (Around her they don't see anything to cheer about.) Apparently the repubs thought that naming a hispanic was enough to get that bloc of votes. It was pointed out today that there is another nominee whom the republicans are not pushing - who is acceptable to the dems - because they want to make a race issue with Estrada.

Last time around, the repub Party courted the Log Cabin. This time, despite the protestations of loyalty, I bet a lot of their members are thinking twice. And Santorum did equate his position with a question of morals.

I agree with everything you said (especially that about wanting to use Estrada's race). Juat like they trot out Colin and Condi, they'll use Estrada (thought it was a man, but you said "she") to prove they're inclusive of Hispanics.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 01:08 pm
Santorum does have the right to speak his mind. If the liberals don't like Texas laws, too bad. They can move to a more liberal state in the Union. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 01:44 pm
Love it or leave it, huh New Haven?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 03:07 pm
well yeah New Haven whats the Bill of Rights got to do with Texas anyway.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 05:24 pm
I hear they take a dim view of avatar theft as well, down there Tejas way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:11 pm
Speaking as a Texan, I will not let the conservatives drive me out. What did Charleton Heston say about cold dead fingers? Here in Houston the cops mistakenly invaded a gay couple's home. They were "doing it". The cops arrested them. This is the case the Supremely Conservative Court will be looking at. Even a conservative Republican should be able to see how the issues of privacy and consenting adults apply here. What does being a Texan or a New Yorker or a New Mexican have to do with it anyway? Either the Constitution protects or it does not.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:21 pm
absolutely
edgarblythe wrote:
Even a conservative Republican should be able to see how the issues of privacy and consenting adults apply here. .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:20 am
Quote:

New York Times
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:57 pm
Texas, I'm happy to note, is having a liberal renaissance. Tom the Bug Guy, having noted that, is trying to redistrict again, confirming that we are a threat. We would do very well, down here, to get him the hell off Capitol Hill. Jail would be best, but Houston in the summer would do just as well, really.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:31 pm
Tar:

I do find it odd that the state that produced DUH-BYA also counts Molly Ivins and Jim Hightower as residents.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:57 pm
Neo -- I think the same unscrupulous bulldozer which put him in the Oval Office did the same here in Texas. He was orchestrated from Clinton win on through the 90's... at least.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:59 pm
Can anyone remember the year W was "born again"?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 04:32 pm
Born again...as what?!

A Christian?...Must not have happened, if actions are any indication.
A sober, responsible citizen?...Jury is still out on that one.
Um, a pilot?...May 1, I think.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 03:58 pm
"Born again" in the sense of realizing he had to grow up and make something worthwhile of his life after a misspent youth.

A reasonable goal--but president?!?!?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:11 pm
I was trying to link what I take as 1) a remedy for drinking + 2) pure political hypocrisy to the time when the right wing Repubs started sniffing around and deciding whether he could be "groomed" for a run at the White House. I wonder whether "if you get your act together" didn't propel him to the baptismal font (all I can think of is Robert Duval in Tender Mercies...)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:15 pm
i happened to watch his speech in Arkansas today, he smirks constantly. what is that?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:32 pm
Interesting that he still smirks all the time. I thought his handlers told him not to do that--makes him look like a smart-ass kid, goofing on the adults when they're not looking...
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:36 pm
Have you noticed the odd way he puckers his face as if he is consciously trying not to smirk? It still looks like a smirk! Laughing
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:39 pm
You can tell he is trying to look "PRESIDENTIAL", but of course this is just what he will never seem. The odd way he struts and sits is comical to me.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:42 pm
Let's see, when he's trying to look presidential...Is that when he sort of squints and tries to look thoughtful, as though he has the weight of the world on his shoulders?
0 Replies