Lott down Santorum to go

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:48 pm
D'artagnan- No we should not hesitate to say that it is a power issue. It certainly is.What I was trying to convey that unless one hears screams from a house, (probable cause) the police have no right to break in, and arrest the man, unless the woman has asked for help.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:02 pm
If Santorum wants to get into the business of regulating sex, he might try to do something about what George Bush and his handlers are doing to this country.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:12 pm
Agreed there, Phoenix...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:43 pm
every 18 secs a wife is battered== every 15 secs a husband is battered
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:01 pm
Where, pray tell, does that statistic come from, dyslexia?
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:04 pm
it's not a statistic, it's a blow-by-blow account of a day in the life with Mrs. Dyslexia. They're a scrappy n' ornery couple Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:08 pm
was on the local news last night.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:08 pm
He refuses to shave.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:15 pm
and so does she
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
That is serious.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:23 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Where, pray tell, does that statistic come from, dyslexia?

Did you know that 87.6% of all statistics are made up right on the spot?
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:29 pm
good one, Frank Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:30 pm
1. Women are three times more likely than men to use weapons in spousal violence.
2. Women initiate most incidents of spousal violence.
3. Women commit most child abuse and most elder abuse.
4. Women hit their male children more frequently and more severely than they hit their female children.
5. Women commit most child murders and 64% of their victims are male children.
6. When women murder adults the majority of their victims are men .
7. Women commit 52% of spousal killings and are convicted of 41% of spousal murders.
8. Eighty two percent of the general population had their first experience of violence at the hands of women.
http://www.dvmen.org/dv-86.htm#pgfId-998197
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:35 pm
Would this be another case of the Supreme Court and the state court?

I'm not clear - does Texas law say one thing, and now a suit is being brought to have a Supreme decision change it?

Could this relate in any way to Roe v Wade? Reading the implications here, it looks far wider.

Obviously, the privacy issue is going to be big.

For child abuse, domestic violence, and others, we do have separate courts and agencies, but these have been so overloaded with cases. And yet, maybe these are the very things that could prevent other, future crimes. Maybe more emphasis here rather than on tort reform.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:36 pm
Given the name of the organization that's generating these numbers, I must say I'm a bit skeptical. If all this is true, why are men almost always the ones hauled into court? A systemic anti-male bias in our judicial system?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 04:57 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Given the name of the organization that's generating these numbers, I must say I'm a bit skeptical. If all this is true, why are men almost always the ones hauled into court? A systemic anti-male bias in our judicial system?

Take a deep breath, and think about it for a minute - woman on man battery cases would almost have to be underreported (thus underpoliced) for the simple fact that there is such an obvious stigma attached to any man that gets beat up by a woman.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 05:03 pm
snood- My son was attacked regularly by his nutty ex (thank goodness) wife. When he tried to defend himself, she would start to yell that he hit her.

I think that you are so right about there being a stigma where men won't admit that they are being abused.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 05:15 pm
Snood, I must admit there's a certain logic to your argument, but I'm still not convinced. Stated another way: Men don't want to admit being victims, therefore it must be an underreported phenomenon. Is that the argument?

If men don't dare admit how often they're hit by women, what's the basis for dyslexia's statistics?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 05:15 pm
dyslexia
After they are battered are they fried or baked? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 05:40 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Snood, I must admit there's a certain logic to your argument, but I'm still not convinced. Stated another way: Men don't want to admit being victims, therefore it must be an underreported phenomenon. Is that the argument?

If men don't dare admit how often they're hit by women, what's the basis for dyslexia's statistics?

Your comments would be troubling if "convincing" you was a motive of mine.

IMO, its self-evident that woman-on-man abuse is underreported in conventional law enforcement's books, and the fact that there have been activist and support groups created to address it does not diminish that.
0 Replies