A Virtual Exhibition

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:29 pm
"...the hand is the instrument of instruments." Aristotle, De Anima, 3.8

So we begin our virtual exhibiton excactly there:

Writing on Hands: Memory and Knowledge in Early Modern Europe

Let's go down now, down under better said:

Online Exhibitions - The National Library of Australia

"Everything which would ordinarily go into the waste paper basket after use, everything printed which is not actually a book …" is ... no, it's an Printed Ephemera

The John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera from the Bodleian Library, University of Oxford

From England up North to Scotland and a collection of more than a handful exhibitions

University of Glasgow: SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS

There is some British here as well

EPACT: medieval and renaissance scientific instruments from four European museums

The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain, but their phantastic book illustrations are here

Aureum opus: Five Centuries of Illustrated Books

Enough indoor visits! Let's go out now:

HISTORIC CITIES

Enough "aspahlt"?

The Special Collections of Wageningen UR Library

You are well-informed by now?

An Early Information Society: News and the Media in Eighteentn-Century Paris

Which brings us to the end of this virtual exhibition and some "eye-catchers"

Château de Versailles

Hope, you enjoyed the 'tour' and found something, which was of interest for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,875 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:03 pm
I'll give you a good clapping hand for these links...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 05:50 pm
walter: what a wonderful site ! just took a few minutes to look at "historc cities" - it's a real treasure. i've collected some older books over the years - mainly bought from antiquariat paul hennings in hamburg - and will be sure to download your site for future reference. so much to do, so little time........ have to stop sleeping in on weekends! thanks again! hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 09:53 am
Thanks for your kind remarks!

hamburger
I hope, you had a nice time in Germany ... and belated congratulatiuons to your wife and you!

I can email/PM you some other links about maps, if you want.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:30 pm
walter: thanks, i think you have supplied plenty of sites to last for more than a weekend! have found some other interesting sites, perhaps i should post them as an addendum to your entry. the german vacation didn't turn out quite as expected; relatives came down with the flu; i fell on my face and cut my lip..... i really was only going to the shopping centre to pick up a chichen for making chickensoup(and you better believe it). when i didn't return in time my wife told her sister:"oh, he has probably found a bookstore and forgot all about the chicken!" in the meantime i was being stitched up in the hospital! well, not really a serious injury; i was back by noon(but without chicken, ha, ha!). but we had a nice holiday anyhow; it was particularly enjoyable to meet with OLD schoolchums again - out of a class of 35 we stilll managed to get 17 together for the 55 year reunion. it was a lot of fun talking about schooldays again. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 07:14 pm
Walter, Now that I have viewed all the links, I think I deserve a degree of one kind or another. LOL Thanks for providing all those interesting links. I've saved the one on HISTORIC CITIES as a Favorite, because I'm sure to revisit it many times. Thanks again, c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:11 pm
Sorry to hear that about the chicken, hamburger, ehem, cut in your lips, I mean! I'm please, it has turned out nice as you espected (the other things at least).

I remember that at my father's 50 years Abitur meeting, just 8 out of those nearly 40, too, were there: they lost more than half the class in war already.

Thanks, c.i. !
0 Replies