10 Commandments - The Moral Foundation For Law In America?

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
"The Ten Commandments Monument depicts the moral foundation of law in America, and bears excerpts from the text of the Ten Commandments of God. The monument also bears quotes from: the Declaration of Independence ("Laws of Nature and of Nature's God"); our National Motto ("In God We Trust"); the Pledge of Allegiance ("One Nation Under God, Indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for All"); and the Judiciary Act of 1789 ("So Help Me God")."

http://www.morallaw.org/logos_graphics/the_monument.jpg

source: Foundation for Moral Law, Inc.

It seems to me that most US-Americans believe, the Ten Commandments are the historic source of US law - for some reasons they have become associated with important historic documents such as those listed above.

Quote:
[Michigan] State Representative Casperson sees this as an important way to restore "a moral compass to our society." Rep. Gosselin calls the Commandments the "bedrock of Michigan law," while Rep. Hoogendyk calls them "the foundation for the freedoms we hold dear." None of these assertions is valid.

Ten Commandments - Inconsistent with Law & Society gives an analysis on this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,305 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 05:31 am
It's where we are going, Walter, there will not be an America in fifteen years, not like the one we have enjoyed for the past fifty years or so.

There will be a country with a hugely powerful executive, ruling over a citizenry whose freedoms and rights are restricted based on reinterpretations of Constitutional Principles which are masqueraded as Christian Theology.

The Right of the People to be secure in their Persons... will have disappeared, replaced by an energetic interest in knowing everything about everybody, except those in the circles of power, they will continue to govern through the use of secret meetings and conferences.

I see no reason at all that the future Supreme Court would not apply the "Thou shalt not covet" rule on the thought processes of the American people, making possible crimes as prosecutable as actual ones. After all, bad thoughts are sins even though there is no action involved.

As to seeing women returned to the status of property, there is nothing to stand in the way of that, unless the women hear about it, then we are all dead men.

Joe(It's not as bad as you think, it's worse.)Nation
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm
Yikes. They should read history. Was it rooted in the Enlightenment (?).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
No offense, Walter, but i'm growing tired of threads about the canard that American law is based on the ten commandments.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:42 pm
Nice quiz: What Do You Know About The Separation of State and Church?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:46 pm
bm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:47 pm
i got a "passing grade" . as an old codger, i'm rather proud of myself.
(for walter's eyes only : do i qualify for "haus-orden IV ter klasse ?). hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 04:54 pm
Well, it's against Hanseatic tradition to ask for such ... :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:44 pm
i'm not asking, just hinting (my father received the "hanseaten orden" - after he received the iron cross in ww I). i bartered both for some packs of "senior service" cigarettes to a british soldier in 1946 - both my dad and the soldier were satisfied with the bargain struck. hbg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
I missed one out of 21.

Joe
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:00 pm
18 out of 21.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
Nice test!

I got 17. Hmph.

One thing that tickled me is that I knew a fair amount of the answers because it had come up here -- how recently "In God We Trust" was put on money, etc.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:35 pm
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:44 am
As long as they bring the beer.
0 Replies