What can I do with an avacado?

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 12:25 pm
ehBeth - Setanta's method sounds great. Now all I have to do is get an avocado and we will ENJOY.

tHANKS.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 04:57 am
Last night I ate a soft avacado(with balsamic vinegar), kept it out of the fridge, crab stick and slices of salmon.It was loverly!!!.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
Give/offer me an avacado and I'll chuck it right out of the window.A horrible vegetable,however you want to dress it up.Yuk! I've tried many times,but,this one ain't for me.Sorry.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 02:57 pm
Re: What can I do with an avocado?I pour salad dressing (not
Tomkitten wrote:
BTW - does anyone know of an easy way to get the pit out of an avocado? For whatever reason, the first half comes away pretty easily, but the second! I get avocado all over the kitchen when I try to pit it - such a waste!

Okay, beth told you how to split the avo easily, but the way to get the pit out is to hold the half avo in one hand and whack the knife into the pit so the blade is wedged into the pit just a bit. Then twist the knife in a circular move and the pit comes out. I don't know if I explained it well, but it's really easy.

Next, everyone quit talkin about the fat! It's good fat! Unsaturated, HDL cholesterol (the good kind) fat! You need it for your brain. Quit eating the nasty cow and pig fat and you can have all the yummy avo fat you want.... Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
Its a great source of mono-unsaturated fat. Just make sure you use it instead of a fat in your diet rather than in addition to the fat in your diet.

Another easy thing to do with avocados is to dice them into 1/2 inch cubes and sprinkle them onto the top of some good chicken soup. And a small amount of crushed corn chips too for an instant tortilla soup.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Growing Avocados from Seed
Instead of throwing the avocado seed away, why not grow a tree?

http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/AvocadoFromSeed.html

Growing Avocados from Seed
Lee Reich

After eating an avocado, it is hard to resist planting its seed. To get the seed sprouting quickly, it needs immediate planting. Indoor gardeners have developed their own "traditional" planting method. This is done by poking three toothpicks into the side of the seed so that it can perch, halfway immersed in water, on the rim of a drinking glass. The seed could also be planted in potting soil, but this misses some of the fun of watching the roots and the shoots grow.

Avocado roots, like those of most other plants, need oxygen, so the seedlings would actually grow better in soil than in water. When growing a seedling in water, the water should be changed at least every couple of weeks, before it gets dirty and depleted of oxygen. One way to speed germination in soil is to remove the parchment like seed coat and slice a thin layer from both the top and the bottom of the seed before planting. In water or in soil, set the seed with its base (the wider portion) down.

Indoors, avocado plants are often gangly and sparse with leaves. One reason for the plant's gawky appearance indoors is light. Lack of sufficient light causes stems to stretch for it. Another reason is that avocados shed many buds along their stems, buds that might have grown into side branches. The result is a plant stretching out for light, sending out new growth mostly from the tips of the branches and shedding old leaves.

There are several things indoor gardeners can do to keep their plants more attractive. Most obvious is to give an avocado tree bright light. Also, the stretch for light is exaggerated when warmth stimulates growth, so the ideal spot for the plant is at the brightest window in the coolest room. Beyond that pruning back a stem or pinching out its growing tip stimulates branching by awaking dormant buds (not all are shed) further down the stem. There is nothing that can be done about the shedding of older leaves.

Every indoor avocado grower holds out hope for fruit from his or her plant. This is always a possibility, but realistically it is not likely to happen. The time from seed to fruiting under good growing conditions is about a decade. Indoors, this time period is lengthened and plants may never experience good enough conditions to ever flower, let alone ripen fruit.

Lack of fruit on an indoor tree is no great loss, because seedling trees rarely produce fruits as tasty as those on commercial trees, which are grafted to good-tasting cultivars. Indoors, avocados are best looked upon as a houseplant that is inexpensive, fun to grow and somewhat attractive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(For more information on growing Avocado, see the Avocado Fruit Facts, a publication of California Rare Fruit Growers.)
0 Replies

Cola

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:19 am
The next time I go for a plain avocado, I'll try it with a dash of salt.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like the taste of avocado with fresh lemon juice...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
I love the avacado seeds!!!As seeds go its probably my favourite.

Ive had avacado, balsamic vinegar, crabsticks and salmon slices about 3 times this week.Very yummy.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:12 pm
barrythemod wrote:
Give/offer me an avacado and I'll chuck it right out of the window.A horrible vegetable,however you want to dress it up.Yuk! I've tried many times,but,this one ain't for me.Sorry.
This makes us even for me talking bad about mincemeat pie. Yea? Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 07:28 pm
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Alligator pears . . . i just happen to have one ready to go in the kitchen . . . chow time ! ! !
0 Replies

SpauldingSmails

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:54 pm
Quote:
Ive had avacado, balsamic vinegar, crabsticks and salmon slices about 3 times this week.Very yummy.

Sounds delicious.
If only avacados kept a little longer.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
what to do with an avocado
ehBeth - thanks for passing along Setanta's tip about twisting the avocado open. We just had a really good avocado for lunch, and I tried doing that. It worked to perfection.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
I thought the answer to this age old question was already found in the Philosophy section.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Philosophy can get pretty twisted - but does it taste as good as an avocado?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:27 pm
My friend has an Avocado tree and were starting to trade Avocados like a commodity. Very Happy

It's like green gold!!!!!!!

If you go haggle with a used car salesmen take a couple Avocados with you.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:30 pm
Paltas rellenas, Peruvian stuffed avocadosCut it apart about 2/3 of the way up, take out the pit, and stuff it: now that's the question: with what, I had this in Peru and it was an epiphany: all I can remember is shrimp, cilantro (I think), and mayonnaise-y binder, maybe celery, all chopped up fairly small. Avocados vine-ripened, shrimp an hour or two out of the sea. Amazing. I'm going to google it and see what happens. If I get something good, I'll report back.

And of course, save the pit, dry it, and plant it00lovely indoor plants (or outdoors if your climate permits).
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 01:38 pm
ok, cruised around, googled "paltas rellenas" and a bunch of hits come up, mostly in Spanish, with a lot of variations: tuna, shrimp, corn, celery, onion; mayonnaise of eggs, oil, and vinegar; lemon juice, salt, pepper, palmitas (which I think are palm hearts, or something like that).
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:33 pm
username,

That sounds so good it might be illegal here. Laughing

That sounds like a dish that would go over really big at a summer afternoon party.Yes? Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
Avocados are also good for juggling.

But it gets messy when you drop 'em.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 11:48 am
Apparently you can feed it to a dog: