Torneo Clausura 2006

fbaezer

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:58 pm
Sooo... Pumas in 2nd place after crushing the sorry Tigres, and Chivas scratching a spot in the repechage.
The forced repechage is a dumb invention IMO.

I guess I was wrong about Hugo's fixed results (but I guess you can't blame a Mexican for being suspicious: suspicion is spoon fed to us when we're babies).

Pronósticos, anyone?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
I don't like repechaje either. Just another ploy to get more money. Also it reminds me of the NFL system, and I don't like american football.

I work with a necaxista and even he said he was happy about Hugo because that'd mean his team would be winning and he said the exact same thing: 3 weak teams plus América and San Luis take Hugol straight to ruling the world, or at least getting as much attention as Lavolpe got.

Here are the things I don't like about the current system:

- Toluca, 4th in general goes to repechaje and Pachuca, 7th does not.
- Veracruz even with their -5 goal difference get a playoff spot.
- Cruz Azul gets 2 points in 7 games and end up being el superlíder.

and while we're at it...

- There hasn't been a mexican scoring champ since Verano 2001 when Borgetti (who scored another one this weekend) took the honors.

With that being said, I think Chivas and Toluca go through.

Chivas will win 2-1 in Veracruz and win 2-0 in Guadalajara. (That's assuming the defense put some effort in stopping Moreno)

Jaguares and Diablos tie on Chiapas 1-1 and Toluca wins at home 3-1.

I'll leave the rest because it doesn't make sense to predict games that might not be.

Regarding the "extranjeros" I think fbaezer is right on the money, with the exception of De Nigris (he hasn't scored as many goals (3) a same season since I don't know when) and Iturriaga of whom I've only heard how he wishes he could play for Mexico in the international level.

I don't want Neri on the national team, but there are many people who do, what's your take?

There's a rumor Gio will be called up to the first team because of the recent injuries that have been plaguing Barcelona. Gio could fill in for Messi, or so they say. Supongo que el primero que dijo esto es mexicano.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:28 pm
Pantalones, you're doing quite well on Fantasy Football and "Road to N.O" for a guy who doesn't like the game!
If Pumas were eliminated, I'd follow the NFL. But they're playing fine, so I'll keep losing track of the US brand of rugby.

I can't really prophetize about the repechage (repechaje, in Spanish). I'd like Chivas and Toluca, since they were the better teams on the league, but I happened to see the Veracruz-Guadalajara game, and man, what a way to lose a game!, I can't trust the Vergara boys. Toluca will play at least one game with their B team.
My pumista interest would say Jaguares and Veracruz, but I'd rather see us dispatch the striped goats to an anticipated Christmas vacation! So I say Chivas and Jaguares. Then we beat Guadalajara, and later the Chicken to end up humiliating the Chemos. Now, that would be a grand championship!

As for Mexican scorers, I'd say it is a paradox, to say the least.
Mexican popular soccer culture is so, that the father asks the son after his game: "How many goals did you score?". He doesn't ask who won or if the child had fun. "How many goals did you score?".
At the same time, a dribbler is applauded so much, he ends up having all the game. Youth teams are filled with little Maradonas who, unlike Pelusa, don't have a true tactical idea, and dribble, dribble and dribble (you are a bit to young to remember "Concho" Rodríguez, who played in Chivas and dribbled himself to exhaustion).
Scorers are somehow "troncos". I bet you have said or heard "Kikín es un tronco", "Borgetti es un tronco", "Kleber es un tronco". We culturally prefer little technical fellows like Parejita, Bravo, Bofo or Cuauhtémoc, and those are the guys who usually get chances in their teams (they don't make that many goals, so we import "troncos").
We dream on Giovanni becoming another Ronaldinho. Our best hopes for the future should be on Vela.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:01 am
Pantalones wrote:
Chivas will win 2-1 in Veracruz

So far so good.

I'd wondered why you had chosen to write repechaje the post before and repechage on the next one, but now I know.

Hadn't looked at the 'lack of quality mexican strikers' that way but it makes sense. I'm too young to know "Concho" Rodríguez, specially since I only got into fúbol a few years ago but I know what you mean. Troncos are not aesthetically proficient but they get the job done. And you're also right on the Gio-Vela comparison, I'm more hyped for Carlos, hope his potential is reached. We also need consistency on the NT.

As for the NFL thing, I guess I'm just lucky and I've learned to do some things such as never pick Oakland and last week on fantasy football I won just 'cause the other team did worse than me.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:05 am
I hate "Troncos" cause they lack the dynamics that 21th Century football demands. Hermosillo, Peláez, Borghetti, they all shall remain in our memories and out of the field... 2 of them are anyways. Playing in Arabia is a particular exception in that rule, the same applies for "Showgol" and its variants. Politics with Calderón? I dont know. I hate Kikín, but he's not a "Tronco", just another Luis Hernández.

Chivas showed that it was unnecessary to play the enforced "repechaje" in order to prove that they are worthy of quarter finals. By the way, I might understand the Federation's decision to make that qualification phase mandatory, but WHY where all the matches in the 17th week at different hours? $$$.

This are my predictions:

1. Albañiles - Chivas

The Albañiles have the considerate advantage of the "tying win" (tying?). Receiving Chivas in the "vuelta" is non-important for a team like Guadalajara. Hopefully Chepo will place Sol in the field since the start and try to stop Chelito from getting the ball. Chivas defense its is weakest spot, but C.A.'s ain't much better. The tightest match in the second round IMO. My heart says Chivas, and my brain just nods. Thus, Oswaldo is back in playoffs!

2. Pumas - Pachuca

Why Pumas is 2nd place I still don't know. Oh, maybe 1 goal against Morelia and another one in San Luis. I laugh when someone mentions "El Parejita", and I consider Bernal as one of the luckiest goalies around. Tuca is an EXPERIMENTED man though. If Pachuca didn't have a game in midweek I wouldn't even think of the outcome. Tuzos (which I despise) FTW. Hopefully Pumas will go through, because a) They are cool, and b) They are soft.

3. America - Atlas

Once overhyped Guardado won't kick it inside Ochoa's twice anymore. Atlas just can't be champ (tradition says that, but probabilities start dwindling after 50+ years), and most surely just can't be inside semifinals. Again, hopefully Atlas will advance, but no one in its sane mind would bet on them.

4. Toluca - Monterrey

Toluca showed nothing in the last game. Marioni got the scoring crown only because Tigres sucks and cause he had a lucky night. Almost 2 months ago he scored his last goal, and Toluca has only won 1 game in the last 8 matches on the regular phase. A possible excuse is the Sudamericana, but they will have the same issue. Piojo is feisty, and Monterrey is no more a sucker outside "El Tec"... well, at least not that much. I'm with the Rayados, I like stripes.

All in all, it will be a great Liguilla, with the 4 BIG ONES in - not a common thing - and the current crown holder.

If you are within beer reach of Calero Fbaez, do us a favor.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 07:05 pm
Chivas-Cruz Azul will be a tight match. Chivas have been inspired sometimes, awful other times. It'll depend on their mood.

Pumas-Pachuca is usually odd. We beat them at their home, they beat us at ours. I don't think Pachuca has that much (not that we have a lot). Plus, they'll be tired, hopefully.

Atlas is going downwards, but América lacks defense. They barely defeated one of the most mediocre teams around, Morelia, playing with their famous 5 forwards. Would love the Guardado kid to humiliate the Ochoa kid not twice, but three times.

Good lord, I hate Monterrey almost as much as I hate América, so I hope the "monterreyenos" freeze to death in La Bombonera, and Marioni and Vicente leave them crying and El Piojo pestering off against everything and everybody. If there wasn't the Sudamericana, it would be an easy prediction. It ain't.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:43 pm
Estoy casi totalmente de acuerdo con el pohl.

Máquina - Chivas

Chepo NO va a alinear a Sol desde el inicio, ni lo sueñes compa. Esperemos (los que le vamos a chivas) que Cruz Azul no rompa la maldición del superlíder, o que aplique la Peyton Manning como en los últimos torneos.

Pumas - Tuzos

Me gusta Pachuca por su modo de juego, pero está la Sudamericana y también odio a Calero. Así que digo Leandro y sus homies sacan ligera ventaja. Predicción choteada: el Tuca se encabrona.

América - Atlas

Le voy al Atlas, creo que el siguiente torneo podría repetirse algo similar como lo que sucedió con el grupo joven que perdió contra el Toluca el día de mi confirmación. Pero le falta un torneo, entonces Cuau y sus secuaces a los últimos minutos.

Toluca - Monterrey

Hmm... Los Diablos Rojos en 3 rounds.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:20 am
El Toluca no trae nadaaaaa, nadaaaaaaaaa!!!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 02:09 pm
pohl, one must make a distinction between troncos and troncazos.

A troncazo has no future in modern football. Period.

12 years ago, in order to be allowed to play a game in front of Pumas visors, a 13 year old boy should be able to dominate a cross while running (bajar un pase largo con los pies mientras corre) and to elevate a ball between his feet, and then volley it into the net (y elevar un balón entre los pies para luego pegarle de volea a la red). No troncazo can do that. Hence modern players like Kikín.
My point is that, whithin the elite of the Skillful, an effective striker doesn't have to be above average technically, but Mexican juvenile coaches prefer technically gifted fellows... who don't score, and senior coaches hire foreigners.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:29 pm
... that sounds fantastic Baez, but would you look at what Bofo did? Marvelous! Splendid! Precious! Magestic! Woo!!! Daleeeee Rebañoooooooo, Daaaaleeeeee (8)!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
This should mean that after we crunch the tired Tuzos, we'll eat some birria!

And, may I ask, if the Bambino cursed Boston, who the hell cursed Cruz Azul? They're useless in play-offs. Laughing
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:41 pm
You may eat birria Baez, but the kind that costs you money out of your pocket! (And leaves you with dirty fingers and nasty breath). Razz

I dont know whats up with C.A., but they s*ck. Chelito was nowhere, and Sabah didn't even shoot. Oswaldo and Maza saved 2 though...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:32 pm
I'll be stubborn in my argument.

What score would have reflected Chivas superiority against the Chemos? 4-0? 5-0?
One jewel of a goal... and 3 obvious missed opportunities.

What do you think about the owners as TV commentators?
To me, it's an indication of two things: 1. Televisa is allmighty; 2. We are not a serious country.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:37 am
Both are true. And that would be a 4-1. Same question with Pachuca - Pumas though! What score would reflect the chances both teams missed (Tuzos most of all)?

Finalmente, cual es la cura de los aficionados Pumas eh? Digo, me caera mal el Pachuca pero su estadio es de los mas bonitos, y para que lleguen estos cabrones a partirle en su madre al estadio? Quieren reflejar la supuesta "garra Puma" en las gradas? Es lo unico malo que tiene ese equipo...

Sadly no one punched Calero, but he looked fierce so I can understand. Anything can happen in the return game, but I hope Pumas wins (otherwise its Chivas-America in semis).
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:52 am
Sobre la Rebel:
En efecto, hay varios vándalos a los que ni siquiera les interesa el fut.
Pero creo que eso sucede con todas las porras y los medios le cargan la mano a la de Pumas. La Monumental hace cosas peores, pero la tele calla. Parte de la propaganda anti-UNAM que domina el país.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:45 pm
el_pohl wrote:
(otherwise its Chivas-America in semis).

So you'd prefer not facing América? Come on, beating Americrap on semis would be soooo nice.

Also, am I the only one hyped about Luis Omar Tapia on TV Azteca?
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 08:09 pm
It would be better to get them in the finals, man.

Haha, you might be in this 3 men forum! His nicknames wont stick... but his foreign accent is kinda cool. Ing. La Madrid had to go, he looks like Santa Claus, and well... his comments made me think that he is a chiva fan haha. Which is good! But... not always good.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
Uta... Pumas no tuvo con que y en la casa se percibe un ambiente similar a cuando pierden las Chivas. Damn it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:03 pm
el_pohl wrote:
II consider Bernal as one of the luckiest goalies around.

Eat those words, please. Or change Bernal for Calero. Evil or Very Mad

Suddenly American football seems attractive to me. Why could it be? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:35 pm
I'll agree with ya', pohl. Right now I was wishing we could duke it out in the finals.

I was rooting for Atlas heavily. After Tripa's goal I was smiling, damn hunchback.

fbaezer wrote:
Suddenly American football seems attractive to me. Why could it be? Twisted Evil

Pumas were gatitos after all.
0 Replies