Bush economy surging ahead

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm
I don't know about the direct cost of building automobiles right now. I frankly have not studied the figures closely, but from what I've read, the pension plans and medical plans are a huge drag on American car companies. So perhaps the direct cost of building cars does not give a complete picture. If the companies quit building cars altogether, the obligations to retirees, etc. is still staggering.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
Too funny, paying the people who make the cars is a drag on profits!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:30 am
Ford is announcing a massive restructuring including plant closures and layoffs. Ain't this Bush economy great?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
http://www.danzigercartoons.com/img/2005/dancart2657.jpg
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ford is announcing a massive restructuring including plant closures and layoffs. Ain't this Bush economy great?

So you got your economics degree from where???

Explain how anything GW did caused FORD to make an inferior product.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:47 am
woiyo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Didn't Bush trumpet the strength of the U.S. economy? Didn't he point to the jobs allegedly created by his tax cuts? Could you explain how tax cuts cause manufacturers to make superior products?

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:01 am
Hmmmm....Ford makes a product people don't want, they lose sales, they have less money to work with and therefore restructure... and it's Bush's fault?

Laughing
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
old europe wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Didn't Bush trumpet the strength of the U.S. economy? Didn't he point to the jobs allegedly created by his tax cuts? Could you explain how tax cuts cause manufacturers to make superior products?

Thanks in advance.

What does that have to do with a manufacturer making a inferior product?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:09 am
Everythings Bush's fault, in cahoots with Rove and Cheney and the other co-conspirators of course. Plant closings and re-structuring of industries have been going on since industries started. Leftist government lovers don't understand all of this due to market forces because if government loses money, they simply raise the price on the consumer, aka the taxpayers. Never a thought about lowering expenditures. Raise taxes, thats the answer always. So if it costs too much to pay all the unions, medical benefits, why not simply raise the price of the cars?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:10 am
So the president is neither responsible for the failure nor for the success of American companies. So if US companies are failing, it's not the president's fault. So if US companies are doing well, it's not the president's merit.

But as I see it, when companies lay off people, it's the companies' fault. Whereas when companies are successful, the president will go there and give a speech about how successful his economic policy is.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:12 am
woiyo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

The Wharton School
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

The Wharton School

Yea...right... More likely UNPR!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
woiyo wrote:

By they way, I've been hearing this claim for the past 30 years. I don't buy it. I've always had Chevys, Fords, etc., and have never had much trouble whatsoever, and I've driven my cars until they had 150 thousand or more miles. Where's the inferior product I keep hearing about? The cars built now are better than ever. I have relatives with Toyotas and all the rest. Reasonably good cars, but they have had every bit as much trouble if not more than I have. Some have great engines and transmissions, but some have lousy suspension systems if you live on rough roads. Just my opinion. I say, buy American. I think car buying is trendy, and some people think its trendy now to buy European or whatever.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
old europe wrote:
So the president is neither responsible for the failure nor for the success of American companies. So if US companies are failing, it's not the president's fault. So if US companies are doing well, it's not the president's merit.

But as I see it, when companies lay off people, it's the companies' fault. Whereas when companies are successful, the president will go there and give a speech about how successful his economic policy is.

They want it both ways. If they can't see how Bush's policies are leading us to economic doom, there is no reason to have a discussion. Can any of you other "Wharton School Graduates" define or explain Bush's economic policy?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:19 am
Presidents have always been given the credit or the blame, regardless of the fact that usually they don't deserve that much of either. Thats American politics for you. I would say people are fairly uninformed on the economy.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
We'll see. State of the Union speech is a good benchmark. We'll see whether the president is going to take credit for the economic development (the positive aspects, of course), or if he will be humble enough to refrain from doing so.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
okie wrote:
Presidents have always been given the credit or the blame, regardless of the fact that usually they don't deserve that much of either. Thats American politics for you. I would say people are fairly uninformed on the economy.

Want take a crack at explaining the Bush vision on the economy.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
McGentrix wrote:
Hmmmm....Ford makes a product people don't want, they lose sales, they have less money to work with and therefore restructure... and it's Bush's fault?

Laughing

Somebody shoot me quick! I have to agree wiyh McG.

OOOOpppps, sorry, only to a degree! If Georgie had not decided to hold back on mileage targets for the auto manufacturers, they may have started gearing towards a more economical vehicle. If the auto manufacturers weren't able to skirt mileage requirements by making "trucks" (ie SUVs), they would have been better prepared for this "energy crises". The profits however, were just too easy, too fast, and didn't require massive retooling of our plants to make them. So, in the end, the real answer is Auto Manufaturer greed and Bush Administration willingness to let them be so! Bush has been performing fellatio on both the auto and energy industries ever since he took office. Now we're going to pay for it!

Now it's (according to the right wing intelligensia), it's all because employees want to make a decent living. Shame on those communist bastards!!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:29 am
okie wrote:
woiyo wrote:

By they way, I've been hearing this claim for the past 30 years. I don't buy it. I've always had Chevys, Fords, etc., and have never had much trouble whatsoever, and I've driven my cars until they had 150 thousand or more miles. Where's the inferior product I keep hearing about? The cars built now are better than ever. I have relatives with Toyotas and all the rest. Reasonably good cars, but they have had every bit as much trouble if not more than I have. Some have great engines and transmissions, but some have lousy suspension systems if you live on rough roads. Just my opinion. I say, buy American. I think car buying is trendy, and some people think its trendy now to buy European or whatever.

I just dumped my Chev van in favor of a foreign car. Been driving nothing but Chev Vans since 1977, but no more!!

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 02:10 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:

I just dumped my Chev van in favor of a foreign car. Been driving nothing but Chev Vans since 1977, but no more!!

Anon

My fords run great, midsize car gets 30 mpg and higher on the highway, averages about 32 or 33. I got about 42 one time with the wind. Truck gets 14 in town to 22 on the highway. Never a repair to speak of. I simply drive them. Put new tires on them every once in a while. They start every time first try. What more can you ask for?
0 Replies