Bush economy surging ahead

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Ford about to close plants and lay off (fire) many workers.

GM has announced 25,000-30,000 out the door. Yea, we're just fine as a fricking fiddle!!!

I also wonder how long the right wing thinks they can go a half a trillion in the hole per year???

Anon
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:17 pm
Why should they worry, it ain't their money . . . apparently, they don't mind bankrupting their grandchildren . . .
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Why should they worry, it ain't their money . . . apparently, they don't mind bankrupting their grandchildren . . .

Unfortunately, it's my grandchildren as well!

Anon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:32 pm
hoka hey
its a grand way to go
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
I wonder where the money is going to come from to take care of all our war veterans who are coming back with catastrophic injuries.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Ford about to close plants and lay off (fire) many workers.

GM has announced 25,000-30,000 out the door. Yea, we're just fine as a fricking fiddle!!!

I also wonder how long the right wing thinks they can go a half a trillion in the hole per year???

Anon

Its your beloved unions that have run the car companies into the ground. Don't blame us.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
okie wrote:
Its your beloved unions that have run the car companies into the ground. Don't blame us.

Yeah, right . . . a prime example of this was the UAW taking voluntary pay cuts to help bail out Chrysler, who were paying Lee Iacoca eleven MILLION dollars a year, not including bonuses, to make the company solvent.

It is truly entertaining, though, to see what passes for logic in the right-wing mind.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
okie wrote:

Yeah, right . . . a prime example of this was the UAW taking voluntary pay cuts to help bail out Chrysler, who were paying Lee Iacoca eleven MILLION dollars a year, not including bonuses, to make the company solvent.

It is truly entertaining, though, to see what passes for logic in the right-wing mind.

Logic ????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:26 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Setanta wrote:
okie wrote:

Anon

Yes, logic, which I guess is foreign to you liberals. And agreed, a few pay cuts for the fat cat execs would help too. Have you ever heard of killing the goose that laid the golden egg? Check it out, you might learn something about economics.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:32 pm
Yeah, it's certainly the unions. Okie's right....

http://www.danzigercartoons.com/img/2005/dancart2645.jpg
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
Yep, Chinese cars to enter U.S. by 2008. Now if a Chinese car can be purchased for $10,000 while a comparable U.S. manufactured car costs $20,000 because of union costs, health care costs, blah, blah, blah, which one will people buy? For you liberals that don't know the answer, I can't help you anymore. Maybe you can go back to school, but I would recommend emphasizing some math courses.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:41 pm
Okie, would you prefer to work in a Chinese or on in an American facility?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:42 pm
okie wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
Setanta wrote:
okie wrote:

Anon

Yes, logic, which I guess is foreign to you liberals. And agreed, a few pay cuts for the fat cat execs would help too. Have you ever heard of killing the goose that laid the golden egg? Check it out, you might learn something about economics.

Okie logic ...

http://www.cyberbuzz.org

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
Neither one particularly. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:46 pm
Just because you sounded like you'd prefer Chinese conditions over "those liberal" conditions in the United States....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
I would like to work only 2 hours a day too, but if I can't make a living doing it, it does no good to prefer working 2 hours instead of 8 hours. The point is, I don't prefer Chinese conditions, but if we have free and open trade, we cannot impose all of our laws on them, so maybe we need to work harder at lower wages to compete. What is your solution?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
NOT have "free and open trade", maybe? Not that the US would propagate free and open trade, at least not in any case...

Oh, and I wasn't aware that American workers were only working 2 hours a day.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:00 pm
okie wrote:
I would like to work only 2 hours a day too, but if I can't make a living doing it, it does no good to prefer working 2 hours instead of 8 hours. The point is, I don't prefer Chinese conditions, but if we have free and open trade, we cannot impose all of our laws on them, so maybe we need to work harder at lower wages to compete. What is your solution?

Tough grind at McDonalds, eh Okie??

Anon
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
old europe wrote:
NOT have "free and open trade", maybe? Not that the US would propagate free and open trade, at least not in any case...

Oh, and I wasn't aware that American workers were only working 2 hours a day.

I didn't say they were. I was simply pointing out that there are lots of ways we would like to make a living, just working 2 hours per day if we could, but in a competitive world, we don't always get to do things the way we would like. Obvious point being, the automobile manufacturers developed an industry that went pretty much unchallenged so that the unions kept adding more perks, higher wages, and all the rest until guess what, foreign imports are being made at comparable quality for much less money.

Many people would like to build an economic fence around this country to insulate ourselves from the competitive forces outside our borders. For a number of obvious reasons in this modern world, that simply is not going to work. So my argument is we might as well take a good look in the mirror and face the facts. Otherwise, our economy will increasingly suffer the consequences. As long as we have a technological advantage over other countries, we can continue to enjoy our wealth as a benefit of being able to market our technology, but if we lose that edge, and I think we are in danger of losing it, our economy will suffer. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:18 pm
okie wrote:
Obvious point being, the automobile manufacturers developed an industry that went pretty much unchallenged so that the unions kept adding more perks, higher wages, and all the rest until guess what, foreign imports are being made at comparable quality for much less money.

Maybe a bad example. The current challenge to the US auto manufacturers are, as of now, not the Chinese. The Japanese are riding the innovation tide, followed by the Europeans. American manufacturer are way behind, having lost their "technological advantage" long ago.

Now, your argument is that America has lost its advantage due to the high cost of production, caused by union costs, health care costs, etc.

But, in comparison to Japan or Europe: wouldn't you say that the United States have by far the lowest cost factor?
0 Replies