Bush economy surging ahead

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
Wall Street endured its worst one-day session for almost three years on Friday as a sharp jump in the oil price and badly received figures from Citigroup (NYSE:C), General Electric and Motorola (NYSE:MOT) robbed the market of what was left of its early-year gains.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average slumped more than 200 points or 2 per cent to 10,666.99, its worst single-day performance since March 2003.

The broader S&P 500 lost 1.8 per cent to 1,261.43 while the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite plunged 2.4 per cent to 2,247.70.

"It is a domino effect of negative news," said Marc Pado, chief market strategist at Cantor Fitzgerald.

The chief reason was a further undermining of already-dented investor confidence in corporate earnings. The culprits were some of the country's leading blue-chip companies, including financial services giant Citigroup, whose fourth-quarter earnings fell short of what the market had expected.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,676 • Replies: 126
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:32 am
Re: Bush economy surging ahead
I'm sure they will find some way to blame it on Clinton.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:53 am
Yes, Hillary has been a bad girl.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:24 am
Dys
I heard that it was Barney's smelly dump on the Oval Office carpet that sent the stock market tumbling, worried about the big stink in the White House.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
I blame it on the protestor wackos of the 60s.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:02 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I blame it on the protestor wackos of the 60s.

well yes but I have atoned for my sins of the past by remaining true to my wacco ways.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:06 am
I myself blame Herbert Hoover.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:06 am
One bad day on Wall St. means almost nothing. Have you counted the days it did well, since Bush came in? You people are grasping at straws.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
One bad day on Wall St. means almost nothing. Have you counted the days it did well, since Bush came in? You people are grasping at straws.

Brandon I suggest you look at the total stats for the DOW since Bush came into office, it's really shocking (forget the one bad day crap)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
brandon
Brandon9000 wrote:

It appears the straws being grasped are those in your trembling white-knuckled hands.

BBB
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:14 am
Re: brandon
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It appears the straws being grasped are those in your trembling white-knuckled hands.

BBB

Really? What is your argument?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:18 am
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Brandon I suggest you look at the total stats for the DOW since Bush came into office, it's really shocking (forget the one bad day crap)

Okay, I just looked at the 5 year graph. It is slightly higher than 5 years ago today.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Okay, I just looked at the 5 year graph. It is slightly higher than 5 years ago today.

Yes I'm sure you noticed (based on the DOW) the booming economy under Bush.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:49 am
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Yes I'm sure you noticed (based on the DOW) the booming economy under Bush.

I have neither the expertise nor the inclination to do that research. All I know is that the DOW is doing just fine and so am I.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:42 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

DJIA January 20, 2001: 10,788.00
DJIA January 20, 2006: 10,667.39

Unlike Dyslexia, I am not shocked by a drop of 120.61 points (around 1.1%) in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, but then, unlike Brandon, I am not so deluded as to to think that 10,667.39 is higher than 10,788.00.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:48 am
joe would ya knock it off with the fair and balanced stuff?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
I had just assumed Brandon was using a new math. It's good to know that both he and the DJIA are doing well.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
dyslexia wrote:
I had just assumed Brandon was using a new math. It's good to know that both he and the DJIA are doing well.

I too am relieved. The impact that Brandon and DJIA's health has on me personally can barely be calculated.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:27 pm
I looked at a 5 year DJIA graph. It's difficult to estimate one day results from it. There certainly hasn't been a disasterous decline over the period of Bush's watch.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:02 pm
Ford about to close plants and lay off (fire) many workers.
0 Replies