I smell a Filibuster!

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I would expect that comment from you. Very revealing.

Since when did you lose your sense of humor edgar?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Hmmm. Then what is that smell? Laughing

It's a turd. bush **** himself a puppet judge.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
Like him or not, Alito will be A Supreme Court Justice.

Need one more now.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:55 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Fine. But the Dems should make the Republicans pay for using the Nuclear option first.

With the Congressional elections coming up, and the Republicans fighting the image of being in the pockets of the Christian Right, and Pat Robertson so loudly praising Alito... the nuclear option might just fail.

But succeed or not, if the Dems don't have the guts to mount a filibuster they don't deserve to get back into power.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
Finn
I didn't lose my sense of humor. I still read many of your posts.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:51 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Finn
I didn't lose my sense of humor. I still read many of your posts.

I would expect that comment from you. Very revealing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:57 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Fine. But the Dems should make the Republicans pay for using the Nuclear option first.

With the Congressional elections coming up, and the Republicans fighting the image of being in the pockets of the Christian Right, and Pat Robertson so loudly praising Alito... the nuclear option might just fail.

But succeed or not, if the Dems don't have the guts to mount a filibuster they don't deserve to get back into power.

There are reports that the Democrats plan to stage a mini-filibuster: Dragging the debate out long enough so that Alito won't be confirmed until after the State of The Union address.

If this is the case I don't know whether the purpose would be to at least appear to be trying to block the nomination or to spite George Bush who announced he would like to have Alito confirmed before he gives the speech. Either way, it won't suggest that the Democratic spine is anything but a wet noodle.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Bushie is under investigation for illegal wiretaps and for lying us into war. Both high crimes.

Not really.

High crimes are those in which the state is the victim.

I have a hard time seeing how wiretaps to try to catch al-Qa'ida cells, illegal though they may be, make the state a victim.

The notion that Bush lied us into war is preposterous.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
When the Dems hand out free guns, ammo, tackle, bait, and a hefty tax cut, then I'll think about voting for them.

Sometimes I wonder if the author of this thread grew up working the summer cleaning crew at the Kennedy compound.

You should check out Alito's ruling on machine guns. Very refreshing, even though the meat of it isn't as hard-line as it should be.
0 Replies

EndersGame

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 04:05 pm
It is nuclear
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

You'll be glad to know the word is that Kerry is trying to organize a filibuster. He has Teddy's support --- Surprise!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:15 pm
It is looking (or smelling?) less like a filibuster now with moderate "Democrats" lacking the spine.

I long for the day when the Democrats are something more than the moderate wing of the Republican party.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:44 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
It is looking (or smelling?) less like a filibuster now with moderate "Democrats" lacking the spine.

I long for the day when the Democrats are something more than the moderate wing of the Republican party.

Alito has 55 Republicans and 3 Democrats. That means he only needs 2 more votes to shut down a filibuster. Mary Landrieu has already indicated she will not support a filibuster.

There will be no filibuster.

All that's left is for Lefty Dems like Kerry is to try and position themselves with the base for 2008.

There is a lot to be said about the two parties when viewing, within the last 10 years, how they have responded to SC nominations by presidents of the opposing party.

Democrats response to Republican nominations have been consistently and unfailingly political.

Patrick Leahy proved how willing they are to distort the facts in an attempt to put a reasonable face on their naked partisanship: He tried to tell us that Senators cannot stand by and watch a president attempt to "stack" the Court, for even FDR, the most popular Democratic president in history, was opposed when he tried it.

Leahy omits one fine point. George Bush is filling vacancies. FDR attempted to "stack" the Court by adding seats on the Court so he could effect a majority. Attempting to draw a connection between the two is absurd, and dishonest.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
Since when does 58 = 60????

Landrieu has never said she would vote to break a filibuster.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Byrd caved into an ad campaign sponsored by the Loony Rapture Right.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:42 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

Landrieu has never said she would vote to break a filibuster.

Oh no?

In addition to Byrd and Johnson, Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska has said he will support Alito. Earlier Thursday, Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana said she would oppose a filibuster.

CNN Link

That's 59 for cloture. Do you really think they won't come up with another vote?

You can always dream.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
Landreaux has not gone on record that she wouuld vote to breaka filibuster. YOU are dreaming.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:45 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Landreaux has not gone on record that she wouuld vote to breaka filibuster. YOU are dreaming.

So is CNN then.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
I'd love to see Kerry cast off all electability shackles and just be a total bulldog for as long as he can.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:01 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

So is CNN then.

CNN didn't state that Landrieu is on record to vote down a filibuster. Learn how to read. You are also ignoring the fact that this is a dynamic situation. Byrd can be swayed and so can Landrieu. And no one has given up, depsite Finn's typical nauseating Republican smugness.

We are still sending faxes and making phone calls.

We may be 8 runs down going in to the ninth inniong but this is not over.

And It won't be over til WE say it's over.
0 Replies