What is your opinion on online dating?

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
I was talking about online dating in another thread and was curious as to what everyone's opinion on the subject of online dating is. Would you feel comfortable meeting someone from the internet and going on a date with them?

Also if you have ever done it... do you have any good stories or horror stories??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,349 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:23 pm
Wow I am quite surprised that nobody seems to have any say on this one
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:24 pm
I am unalterably opposed to online dating. The screen of the monitor gets too sticky . . .
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
I am unalterably opposed to online dating. The screen of the monitor gets too sticky . . .

That is what clear wrap is for, easy to clean up the mess
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
Some people really shouldn't be left home alone. Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
The little doggies disagree . . . here ya go, kids, have another piece of toast . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 06:50 pm
never done it, then again i'm not a big fan of realworld dating, so perhaps i'm not the best person to ask
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 06:53 pm
Just a suggestion to anyone who goes alone to meet a person whom they have met online. Take someone with you, and make certain that it's in a crowed place during the daytime.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
I'm going to a wedding in March for a couple that met on-line (second marriage for both). Their first date was at the Bronx Zoo. My girlfriend figured the animals would be a good topic for conversation and with all the children running around he wouldn't be in the mood to make a move on her. I don't know his count, but he was the 26th date she had from Match.com.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:09 pm
I invited Setanta to my house for a visit for our first meeting.

His friends warned him against it. I might try to poison him, or somethin'.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:13 pm
ehBeth,
You hussy ! :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 05:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I invited Setanta to my house for a visit for our first meeting.

His friends warned him against it. I might try to poison him, or somethin'.

So he was warned...

I mean, look at 'im now, big strong guy like that, spidered up in your spell ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 05:39 pm
http://www.di.unipi.it/grin/img/logo.gif
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 05:50 pm
Setanta has been quieter lately...must be that new potion you're using on him...good work!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
I am seeing a guy I met on the net, he is a rather well off retired software developer.

It has worked out well and could ultimately lead to marriage.

You just have to be careful.

1) Do not meet someone until you have spoken with them on the telephone at least several times. In this case, we had hours and hours of telephone conversations over the course of six months.

2) Meet in a VERY public place. We met at a busy restaurant for lunch.

3) We didn't do this but he offered to take a copy of each other's driver's licenses and thumbprints and mail it one another's addresses. Not a bad idea before you actually go on an evening date.

In this case, we met for lunch, then agreed to meet for dinner and drinks. We wound up spending the weekend together and he comes to see me every few weeks, he lives a four drive from me.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:05 am
Received this on Thursday:

Quote:
Hi,
My name is xxxxxx. I am 30 years old, white, 6'2", 185lbs, brown hair and
blue eyes.
I live in (location an hour from me), even though I grew up in the upper Haight Ashbury in San
Francisco.
I love all forms of music... Blues,Jazz,Classic Rock,Alternative
Rock,Fusion,Hip-Hop,Funk,Reggae,Rap,Percussion,Spanish Guitar,R&B,Soul,Heavy
Metal,Thrash,you name it!!! I play the bass guitar although I'm not very good.
I need more practice. I have been teaching myself to play the guitar for a
couple of months and I like to sing, play percussion and write conscious
poetry... I like to let the creative juices flow and I come from a creative
family. My Mom is an artist/painter/writer in Switzerland and is slowly making
a name for herself in the Swiss art scene. My Swiss cousins are in a rock band
that will be famous for sure in a few years.
I have many interests and hobbies besides music. I also love sports. Go
49ers, Giants, Warriors, Kings, etc... Basketball is a sport that I LOVE to
play... but I love athletics and will try anything. I love to see nature and
watch animals and birds. I LOVE secluded places where humans haven't ruined
everything yet. I love to go to live concerts.
I few years ago I did a self reevaluation and I anded up deciding to stop
hanging aroung all the old crowd because they were BAD for me so I really don't
have many friends now, but quality over quantity, right? I drink rarely, and
just quit smoking cigarettes. One of my favorite things in the whole world is
camping!!! LOVE IT!!! Anyway,
I look forward to hopefully hearing from you

I mailed him back that I am old enough to be his mother and he sounds TOO GOOD to be true!

He replied:

Quote:

Thanks for getting back to me. I am definately not too good to be true, I'm just me. I would love to learn some guitar from anyone... very open to new music experiences. By the way, I love older women... I like conversation and getting to know people on a deep level. I like to learn. I'm sure there is much I could learn from you "Roxxanne". Age is meaningless... Plus you are very attractive in many ways. I would love to be friends and I'm hopeful for more.
Hugs and kisses...
xxxxxxx
509 -xxx-xxxx
0 Replies

A -

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm
Well, I have experience in on-line acquaintances.
I was very cautious and dated in crowded places only.

But it was not so good.

For example,
I like men older than me and once I wrote this in my form.
But I added that I needed ONLY serious relations,
that I was not interested in married men and etc.

Of course, many men answered me. And what???
Yes, you have guessed right!

Only few men had serious intentions, but I do not like their appearance at all.

Well, it could be a problem that I did not put my photo on the web-page,
but I sent some photos of me to people that have written to me.

About photos in the interenet... I have a good job and I do not sure how
my chief would treat my photos on such a web-page. Confused
0 Replies

kudlaite

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 06:40 am
Online dating isnt so bad as long as you use it as a way to test waters only. My wife and me are both very reserved people. During our initial dating phase, we actually chatted online while working in the same building (and knowing it). It actually let us say things more boldly, which we would have never said otherwise. But we ended it as soon as we thought we liked each other. I know of friends who are hooked onto it and given a chance to actually meet the other person, they go "this is beautiful, I want to keep it this way". No, thats no good. That is a recipe for disaster.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:12 pm
On-line dating is fun. I am a fairly worldly person so I take on line dating in stride. It is not for every one though.

If for example, regardless of your age, you watch, enjoy and believe day time soap operas are the norm for middle-class American life styles then you will not enjoy on-line dating. Nor will it work for you even if you have the notion that most people that date on-line are simply every day people that are great exceptions to the rule of socializing, meeting people "the old fashioned way", the "traditional way" whatever they may have been.

No, I view on line daters as having similarities only in the sense that I would if I was profiling them as a policeman; putting them in groups, painting them actually with a very broad brush. No the dissimilarities of people "on-line" are as various as the number of hairs on your head (if you have any.)

It is a safe assumption that everyone that even considers on-line dating, even whether they do it or not are in search of something they don't have; sex, companionship, security, fun or simply the thrill of meeting some one new. The latter is my motivator. I enjoy meeting many different women. If they be a bit kinky, have personality disorders so much the better providing they are at least average looking and clean. Smile

The key to an enjoyable "date" is crafting your desires, the words in your "resume" so as to entice the RIGHT woman. Every guy, every normal guy has very feral feelings in his bowels, guts, belly, heart and brain. Unless it happens to be a pig, an animal that you are seeking on-line presenting those terms "in the clear" will not provide good results.

Crafting your ad comes ONLY by doing it. You will eventually find yourself and what works best for you. I can tell you right now it will be a learning experience because you will be surprised to discover what messages appeal to women in general and which ones do not. Machismo does not carry the power you may think where the printed word is concerned in the eyes of women. Smile

I know people or have heard of ones that claim they had bad experiences with on-line dating. I have had only one out of many. The woman decided that because I had majored in business I could not be creative enough. Other than that all of my experiences have been at least par with several involving a good deal of intimacy.

I treat all the women I date with respect, I never force myself upon them and I talk at whatever level they happen to be at. I strive for university women but in the end it makes no difference a woman with simply a high school education gets as much of my attention as one with an MBA. :wink:
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:36 pm
I get tons of responsews to my ad, unfortunately, many are almost as bad as this:

Quote:
u looking great,i would love to have gf or wife like u

Last week, I exchanged three e-mails back and forth and it sounded like there was something there. My qualifier is telephone contact and I must have their phone number, so I tell the guy OK e-mail me your phone number and I will call you...he said Oh I will get with you on the weekend then I get an e-mail, "sorry to waste your time but I am no longer looking for someone"

I e-mailed him back, next time try being honest and tell your wife I said hello!
0 Replies