Defining issues of today's politics / Left vs Right

parados

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
I was alive in 1970 okie and although not old enough to vote my grandfather was chairman of the county Democratic party and my father held a non-partisan elected office.

I can practically see the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome from my office window.

The Hubert H Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs is about 15 blocks from here.

I grew up less than 50 miles from Wallace, SD, the birthplace of HHH. I have met and had conversations with Walter Mondale and Hubert "Skip" Humphrey III outside of political settings. I drive by the church where Muriel's funeral was held at least once a week.

Your condescending crap about how I might have common sense if I only knew what you do is, just that, CRAP. I have spent almost my entire life in the part of the country where HHH was a major force in politics and public opinion. I might not be as old as you okie but I am not senile enough to claim I can tell you about the Oklahoma mindset of 30 years ago without any evidence to back me up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:03 am
Obviously, okie lost after that above post his/her interest.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:40 am
okie said
Quote:
but at least your reaction is constructive as opposed to treating me like an idiot, which is not appreciated. The first few pages that roared down the pike today really surprised me and was truly an education about some of the contributors here. And perhaps I handed back a little sarcasm as well, but I thought it was deserved.

I knew a fellow years ago who believed that the Pope in Rome was the anti-Christ. If you gave him the opportunity, he could go on for rather a long time describing, for example, the shady connections between the the Papacy and the Royal Family in England and how that relationship was at the root of the centuries-old opium trade. "Jewish bankers", the UN, and Henry Kissinger fit in his thesis somewhere too.

The fellow wasn't an 'idiot' (straight A student through high school, high IQ) and the problem wasn't that he didn't read. The problem was what he chose to read. If you listened to him through the two hours or so he'd take to lay out that information above, he'd then get into the really interesting stuff - the stuff about "organic robotoids"...
Quote:
First, "Clinton" has the energy to jog because it may well be a robotoid, and second thing, an assassination of a robotoid is not so serious. These robotoids have a biological computer-brain that is programmed. They can think in the sense a computer thinks, but secret advances in understanding the human brain, have allowed the makers of organic robotoids to have the memory of a person at a given point in time transferred to an organic robotoid. The key then for making what appears to be a clone--but they are not a real clone--is to capture the person to be copied and make a holographic copy of the brain memory and transfer that to the robotoid.
The Dr. Peter Beater/Rand Corporation hypothesis

Now, before you get the notion I am indicating you are the same species of 'nut', let me assure you that isn't my suggestion. But, from the onset of your posts here, it has been fairly clear to the rest of us that you've chosen to limit your reading sources to a narrow band of rightwing American publications or websites.

If you were to ratchet-down your certainty that these sources are informing you rather than misinforming you, that would ease your passage on A2K a lot. And, if you gained some appreciation for the level of learning (in history and politics, among other disciplines) and for the care to get information right that many members here bring to the table, that would help you out too.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:46 am
You guys are truly humorous, and must say you are also very impressed with your own intellectualism and self perceived knowledge. I can't spend 24 hours a day on this forum. I fully intend to follow up on this thread. See ya later.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
Bye . . . don't hurry back on our account, us "intee-leck-chewals" will be awaitin' . . .
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:08 pm
I am going grade Hubert Humphrey and George Bush. I am obliged to make a run into the open with this first so I presume you have your powder ready to make fun of it and shoot me down. L=Liberal M=Mixed or somewhere in between, and C=Conservative. C or L means possibly not totally but close to one end of the spectrum. M indicates maybe not directly in the middle but closer to the middle than at the ends of the spectrum. I am not citing sources now. We can argue it out later. If you don't like my ratings, do your own and then I can shoot yours down. Thats more fun anyway.

1. Size, Scope, and Power of Government - Humphrey L, Bush M
2. Economic Policy / Taxes - Humphrey L, Bush M
3. Defense / Terrorism - Humphrey C, Bush C
4. Foreign Policy / Trade - Humphrey ? but maybe M or C, Bush C
5. Social Security - Humphrey L, Bush M
6. Health Care - Humphrey L, Bush L
7. Welfare - Humphrey L, Bush M
8. Education - Humphrey L, Bush L
9. Energy - Humphrey M or C, Bush C
10. Civil Rights - Humphrey L, Bush M
11. Abortion - Humphrey M, Bush M
12. Illegal Immigration - Humphrey M or C, Bush M
13. Crime / Drug Policy - Humphrey C, Bush C
14. Environment - Humphrey M, Bush M
15. Religion & Government - Humphrey C, Bush C
16. Private Property Rights - Humphrey ? but probably M or C, Bush C
17. Public Lands Policy - Humphrey M or C, Bush C
18. Organized Labor - Humphrey L, Bush M
19. Morality / Family Values - Humphrey C, Bush C
20. Gay Marriage - Humphrey ? but probably M to L, Bush M
21. Gun Control - Humphrey? but probably M or C, Bush C

I am counting M as 50%.
Humphrey adds up to about 13 out of 21.
Bush adds up to about 7 out of 21.
I may have made a mistake as I had to put this together quickly. I figured throw something out and argue the specifics later.

Basicly, I think Humphrey was very liberal concerning welfare, civil rights, and other domestic welfare type issues at that time, but was a strong law and order guy, strong on defense, and anti-drug - pro-law enforcement guy. I think he had to be multiple use public lands and pro-granting of leases for oil drilling and issues of that nature, much different than today's liberals.

My assessment of Bush shows him liberal on some things like spending and education but conservative on others, on balance more conservative than Humphrey.

One last thing, if Humphrey had the benefit of "growing" into this day and time, we don't know but he could have drifted left and would end up an 18 out of 21 or something. Some liberals did not however. Eugene McCarthy ended up endorsing Ronald Reagan over Jimmy Carter.

The modern, full liberal would score close to a 21 out of 21. I've scored Humphrey not quite 2/3 liberal. Even if I'm slightly wrong, I don't see any way he gets to 21 out of 21. Humphrey would no way be as liberal as today's liberals. Humphrey had his troubles with the peace activists and riff raff even then, of which prominent Democrats of today were a part of, like John Kerry, Clinton, and others. Why would anyone think the man would have everything in common with them now?

Quote from Parados:
Quote:
I was alive in 1970 okie and although not old enough to vote my grandfather was chairman of the county Democratic party and my father held a non-partisan elected office.

I can practically see the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome from my office window.

The Hubert H Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs is about 15 blocks from here.

I grew up less than 50 miles from Wallace, SD, the birthplace of HHH. I have met and had conversations with Walter Mondale and Hubert "Skip" Humphrey III outside of political settings. I drive by the church where Muriel's funeral was held at least once a week.

Your condescending crap about how I might have common sense if I only knew what you do is, just that, CRAP. I have spent almost my entire life in the part of the country where HHH was a major force in politics and public opinion. I might not be as old as you okie but I am not senile enough to claim I can tell you about the Oklahoma mindset of 30 years ago without any evidence to back me up.

Your last paragraph is hardhitting. At least I know how you feel. No sugar coating. I've already conceded Humphrey was a poor example to be likened as a rightwinger. I will concede some defeat here, but I am not retreating all the way. No way I would buy the possibility that old Hubert Humphrey would buy some of the liberal "CRAP" of today.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:32 pm
For goodness sake okie. .You didn't provide any support for any of your claims. What kind of a crazy ass world do you live in?

I provided REASONS in my list along with 2 sources.

You provided a grading system with NOTHING to back it up. This is downright stupid. you posted nothing but your usual BS with nothing to back it up.

----------
Conservative on Defense? Based on what? He promoted the Nuclaer Arms treaty, He opposed the Vietnam war until Johnson forced him to support it. From his 1960 campaign literature
Quote:
As Senate expert on disarmament, he advocates practical steps toward real disarmament.
That is hardly a conservative stance. From his 1968 Presidential campaign
Quote:
Here's what we're going to do:

Stop the bombing of the North -- taking account of Hanoi's action, and assurances of prompt good faith negotiations. We'll only resume bombing if the Communists show bad faith.
Does that sound like a hard core conservative position to you? And this
Quote:
We have friends and allies around the world. We will consult with them and ask them to accept a fair share of the burdens of peace and security." Trust Humphrey to keep America strong.

-------------------

Foreign policy
Quote:
Created the Peace Corps and established the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency -- both Humphrey ideas.
Quote:
Under Food for Peace -- Humphrey's idea -- distributed enough food around the world to feed 100 million people a year.

Quote:

Press forward with negotiations to achieve a de-escalation of the arms race, with proper safeguards. Support the strengthening of the United Nations capacity for peacekeeping. Hold annual summit meetings,

----------------
Moderate to conservative on energy? It is a CONSERVATIVE issue to provide federal funding for solar energy. Pure hogwash from you.
--------------------
Abortion? Moderate? Back to your canard of you don't need evidence, you just know? What crap.
-----------------
Illegal immigration? Just making up a stance again? MOre crap from you okie.
---------------------
Crime/Drugs - Conservative? ROFLMBO. You reveal your ignorance with flying colors. From his 1968 campaign literature again
Quote:
Make a determined effort to uproot the causes of crime, especially juvenile crime (which accounts for almost all of the increase in crime).
That looks like a LIBERAL approach to me. Eradicate the CAUSES rather than just punish the criminal.
----------------------------
Environment - I question your claim of a moderate stance.. his 1968 literature again -
Quote:

Intensify the fight against air and water pollution, Intensify efforts in desalinization. Continue to expand the national park and seashore systems. Start a Heritage Riverways Program to save our rivers through the type of total attack strategy employed in the Model Cities Program. Use Federal surplus lands for recreation and conservation in the cities and in the countryside. Push forward with urban and highway beautification, Trust Humphrey to build an America where progress is not at war with beauty.

----------------------------
Religion and govt - More made up crap without support from you.
------------------------------

Public Land policy
Quote:
Instruct the Federal agencies to work to eliminate pollution and respect environmental values in all the activities they conduct, support, authorize or finance.Use Federal surplus lands for recreation and conservation in the cities and in the countryside.
Not a thing about using it for exploration or lumber.
Quote:
The Wilderness Act of 1964 set aside 9 million acres of wilderness so, as Hubert Humphrey put it, future generations could see what their forefathers had to conquer.

Looks liberal to me.
---------------------------
Here's what Wallace had to say about Humphrey's support of the civil rights bill.
Quote:
I am having nothing to do with enforcing a law that will destroy the rights of private property.
http://www.ushda.org/wallace.shtml

Based on EVIDENCE presented on this thread so far.. 14 Humphrey LIBERAL - ZERO Conservative... 7 with NO evidence at all.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:00 pm
Okay, I'll take the issues where I scored Humphrey less than liberal:

3. Defense / Terrorism - Humphrey was a full supporter of Johnson in the Vietnam war, until at the very last of the campaign he softened his stance to accomodate the peace activists in an effort to unify the party. I think you could hardly classify him liberal all the way on that. Going into the 68 convention, antiwar delegates supported McCarthy and McGovern, but the opposing factions opposite of the antiwar factions won out and nominated Humphrey. As far as disarmamant and treaties, I think most presidents have pursued that where practical. Humphrey, especially early on, was very anti-communist, so I think his stance toward them would have been sort of like Reagan, "trust but verify."
http://www.chicagohs.org/history/politics/1968.html

4. Foreign Policy / Trade - I am unsure about this issue but felt it would likely track with his traditional defense policy.

9. Energy - I used to work in the energy field, and multiple use was widely and commonly accepted as standard procedure by policy makers for the vast majority of public lands into the 70's. It became increasingly difficult in the 70's, and up until now, after the generation to which Humphrey belonged to continue the same policies as before. Talk to public lands managers that worked in that field and they can tell you the history. Humphrey advocating recreational use of federal lands doesn't tell me much. Conservatives are in favor of that as part of multiple use, and they are in favor of some protection of key park lands, etc. If you can find hard evidence that Humphrey systematically opposed oil leasing, logging, and grazing on federal lands, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. I only rated him an M on this anyway, not Conservative. What comes to my mind relative to energy is ANWR, and I would find it difficult to fathom anybody in their right mind opposing such a program in the days of Humphrey. But oh well, I could be wrong, give him a liberal rating if you must.

11. Abortion - I gave him another M here, not conservative. Not totally known but I doubt he would have supported partial birth abortion. That would have been considered reprehensible by virtually everybody at that point I think. If you can find evidence in his record wherein he pushed for the rights of abortion, and in addition, to have it with no parental notification, I am willing to change my mind.

12 & 13 - Illegal Immigration and Crime - contained in his convention speech: "I put it very bluntly. Rioting, sniping, mugging, traffic in narcotics and disregard for law are the advance guard of anarchy and they must and they will be stopped." Does this sound like a man with a passive, permissive, liberal attitude toward crime, drugs, and other illegal activities?

14. Environment - I rated him a moderate, not conservative, but I am willing to concede his views were tending toward liberalism on this issue.

15. Religion and Government - If you can show me where Humphrey ever pushed for taking mention of God off of coins, out of the pledge, or prayers out of the Congress, traditional Christmas programs to be eliminated, or other paranoid of religion mindset similar to current liberal thought, I will listen. In his convention speech, quoting Humphrey, "...united by liberty and justice for all, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. This is our America." This doesn't sound like somebody trying to remove God from politics and America. One nation under God is certainly not the America the liberals of today want.

16. Private Property Rights - I will admit not much to go on, but virtually nobody was questioning them then. Find evidence where he advocated biological surveys be done on private lands and if a rare one was found, prevent the owner from farming it, or find evidence he would have advocated kicking a man out of his house so that a corporation could come in to create tax monies for the community.

17. Public Lands Policy - See the discussion on energy.

18. Morality and family values. Being a good family man like he was, I have a hard time visualizing the man defending Bill Clinton chasing barely past teenage interns around the oval office and being accused of rape, with fairly credible evidence. I think he would find it repugnant. Go ahead and say I don't know. I think we should be able to use a bit of common sense here.

20 & 21 - Gay Marriage and Gun Control - If you can find evidence in the legislative record for him pushing these agendas, I am willing to listen.

I would be willing to concede to a 15 or 16 max maybe out of 21. He really seemed to end up a hero to liberals I will admit. Man, this is work, dredging up all the information. I have conceded that I overextended my claims, but if you keep insisting that Humphrey is not to the right of today's liberals, I think you should consult a few historians. Here is another statement you will jump on, but probably the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs very likely emphasizes the liberal causes that Humphrey was involved in, but don't do much work on the other parts of his political history.

It has always fascinated me how historians can spin history. A good example, many liberals will label the Vietnam War as Nixon's war, not Johnson's war. Johnson instituted some favorite liberal agendas, such as the Great Society, so they prefer to downplay him as a warmonger. Thats what Nixon was in their minds. And I think the emphasis of Humphrey by liberal think tanks have done the same for his legacy in their minds.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
, there is no left in politics.

What the hell do you call Ted Kennedy???
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm
Bush a liberal on health care and education?!?!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:14 pm
Of course there is a Left in American politics.

Whether or not it looks exactly like the Left in Europe, South America or any other continent is an interesting subject to consider, but not a determinant of its existence.

The mere fact that the last two presidential elections were so close proves there is a midpoint in the American political spectrum. The vast majority of voters may or may not tend to cluster around that midpoint but plenty fall somewhere to the left or right of it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:07 am
okie wrote:
Okay, I'll take the issues where I scored Humphrey less than liberal:

3. Defense / Terrorism - Humphrey was a full supporter of Johnson in the Vietnam war, until at the very last of the campaign he softened his stance to accomodate the peace activists in an effort to unify the party.

Quote:
As Vice President, Humphrey was controversial for his complete and vocal loyalty to Johnson and the policies of the Johnson Administration, even as many of Humphrey's liberal admirers opposed Johnson with increasing fervor about the Vietnam War. Critics later learned that Johnson had informed Humphrey that he would oppose him for the presidential nomintion if Humphrey (whom Johnson knew increasingly opposed the war) broke with the Johnson administration's Vietnam policies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_H._Humphrey
It seems Humphrey pofessed support out of politics.
From Humphrey's 1972 speech where he announced candidacy for President.
Quote:
Let us face up to the realities of our present posture. Our urgent need is to end the war -- and to do it now. I served as the Vice President during the period of our heaviest involvement there. Yet when I spoke to the American people during my campaign for the presidency in 1968, I said that my experience had led me to the conviction that however noble the intent of three Presidents who felt that our Vietnam involvement was essential to our national security, that position was no longer valid. I pledged in 1968 to end the bombing, a cease-fire, and immediate troop withdrawal program. I would've carried out that pledge.

It is taking Mr. Nixon longer to withdraw our troops than it took us to defeat Hitler. Had I been elected, we would now be out of that war. I repeat that pledge.
http://www.4president.org/speeches/hhh1972announcement.htm
So from 1968 on Humphrey was for getting out of Vietnam.
Hardly the prowar stance you are trying to tell us. The vietnam war lasted until 1973. So Humphrey openly was for getting out for 5 years. Hardly a Conservative stance at all okie. Note that I used Humphreys OWN words. Unlike your vague source that doesn't say a thing about what you stated.

Quote:

I think you could hardly classify him liberal all the way on that. Going into the 68 convention, antiwar delegates supported McCarthy and McGovern, but the opposing factions opposite of the antiwar factions won out and nominated Humphrey. As far as disarmamant and treaties, I think most presidents have pursued that where practical. Humphrey, especially early on, was very anti-communist, so I think his stance toward them would have been sort of like Reagan, "trust but verify."
http://www.chicagohs.org/history/politics/1968.html
Gee, cite the liberal President that trusted the communists. Your claim seems to be that you can declare distrust of communism as far right, which it isn't.

Quote:
4. Foreign Policy / Trade - I am unsure about this issue but felt it would likely track with his traditional defense policy.
So in other words, no evidence other than your gut feeling?
Quote:

9. Energy - I used to work in the energy field, and multiple use was widely and commonly accepted as standard procedure by policy makers for the vast majority of public lands into the 70's. It became increasingly difficult in the 70's, and up until now, after the generation to which Humphrey belonged to continue the same policies as before. Talk to public lands managers that worked in that field and they can tell you the history. Humphrey advocating recreational use of federal lands doesn't tell me much. Conservatives are in favor of that as part of multiple use, and they are in favor of some protection of key park lands, etc. If you can find hard evidence that Humphrey systematically opposed oil leasing, logging, and grazing on federal lands, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. I only rated him an M on this anyway, not Conservative.
And your evidence that he DID support grazing, logging and oil lease is what?
Quote:
What comes to my mind relative to energy is ANWR, and I would find it difficult to fathom anybody in their right mind opposing such a program in the days of Humphrey. But oh well, I could be wrong, give him a liberal rating if you must.

11. Abortion - I gave him another M here, not conservative. Not totally known but I doubt he would have supported partial birth abortion. That would have been considered reprehensible by virtually everybody at that point I think. If you can find evidence in his record wherein he pushed for the rights of abortion, and in addition, to have it with no parental notification, I am willing to change my mind.
You get to decide with LACK OF EVIDENCE? This shows how unsupported your claims are okie.

Quote:
12 & 13 - Illegal Immigration and Crime - contained in his convention speech: "I put it very bluntly. Rioting, sniping, mugging, traffic in narcotics and disregard for law are the advance guard of anarchy and they must and they will be stopped." Does this sound like a man with a passive, permissive, liberal attitude toward crime, drugs, and other illegal activities?
Find me a liberal politician today that is in support of rioting sniping, mugging and trafficing in narcotics. Since all are the opposite today of Humphrey you must have some evidence that they support what he opposed. No liberal today is supportive of these acts. So your argument that Humphrey is more conservative falls flat.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:16 pm
I'm honest enough to admit Humphrey was a poor example. Perhaps I was at least 50% wrong, maybe 75%, but surely you recognize the baby boomer liberals of today were the 60's rebels, of which Humphrey definitely was not a member of and did not agree with. Whether you want to use the Humphrey that supported Johnson or the slightly later Humphrey that capitulated to the peace movement, I think in large part to solidify the party and oppose Nixon. And Nixon got us out of Vietnam. Does that make him a liberal? It was LBJ and Humphrey that got us there big time in the first place

Yes, Humphrey supported things like cleaning up the rivers and other liberal causes, but these issues did not become the defining political movements as dictated by the modern liberals until the 70's and later. People like Howard Dean, the Clintons, John Kerry, and other key figures in the party of today were fairly radical in the time of Humphrey. Humphrey experienced the opposition of these types of people and the upheavel at the 68 Democratic convention. Given what was happening, his words at the convention "I put it very bluntly. Rioting, sniping, mugging, traffic in narcotics and disregard for law are the advance guard of anarchy and they must and they will be stopped." were I think inserted for definite reasons. Yes, I agree most reasonable people are against that, but apparently the young peace movement was not totally against rioting and virtual anarchy; they were engaged in it. And neither were they against narcotics. Surely you must recognize that many of those engaged in drugs and rather proud of it before they got into politics. And even as many of these same people have grown older and gained control of the Democratic Party, their underlying stripes are still the same. They are the rebels. They rebelled against the standards of the previous generation and still are. Many of the causes coming out now are the fruits of that. Humphrey was not a part of this modern liberal movement. A good article, which is rare, is in the current Newsweek about the Boomer Liberals from Yale, etc.

Another little thought about this, Bush is a Yale alumni as well, and part of the Boomer generation, and yes, he drank and partied, sort of similar to many college students, you might say similar to the Clintons, Dean, and others. A big difference: Bush never rebelled against many of the previous generation's standards and morals even though he ventured off the beaten path, he came back to it. The Boomer liberals never have come all the way back. I think they still want to relive the glory days, so they have to hate somebody. Now, its the establishment, which includes Bush right now. They liberal Left still thinks like the rebels they are. Many of them don't even like the country I don't think.

Another note, has Bush vetoed one spending bill? The man is more liberal than conservative on lots of things, but for conservatives, he was the only choice we had given Gore or Kerry. I seem to recall Bush I as a moderate Republican, and I don't think Bush II is much different. Yes, we are drifting left, at least to the world I grew up in, which would be primarily the 50's. Even the liberals of that time, which included Humphrey, was a far cry from the liberalism of today.

I think this subject has been argued to the last ounce of usefulness about Humphrey. I am conceding some defeat but not total. I made the original comment about Humphrey in an attempt to illustrate a point by using an extreme example, that of showing how far we've drifted. I knew Humphrey was a liberal in his day, so I used him by claiming he would be considered a right winger today. But my argument that we've drifted left still stands. Perhaps first as social views, then social views have a way of eventually becoming public policy and political views, as the generations mature, age, and their views affect politics. I think thats where it starts.

And in regard to nimh quote:
Quote:
Bush a liberal on health care and education?!?!

Yes, a prescription drug plan and more federal education spending than ever, including "no child left behind" is not conservative. They are liberal big government fix it plans.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
Howard Dean seems to be pretty far left to me.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:25 pm
Your argument is the same ehtereal piece that it always was okie. You can't support your claim that Humphrey would be a RWer which was your evidence that we have moved left. Now you abandon you Humphrey was a RWer argument but retain the conclusion with no other actual basis to make it.

The country has hardly moved left since the 1970s if riots, sniping, mugging and anarchy are your standard for defining leftists.
Quote:

They are the rebels. They rebelled against the standards of the previous generation and still are. Many of the causes coming out now are the fruits of that. Humphrey was not a part of this modern liberal movement. A good article, which is rare, is in the current Newsweek about the Boomer Liberals from Yale, etc.
Oh? Care to cite an example that we can actually EXAMINE rather then your standard vague statement that you will back away from when you are forced to examine the reality.

Lets look at the NEWSWEEK article and see if it supports your contention that the liberals have forced this country left since the 70s.
Quote:
The Last Hurrah
The baby boomers tacked left, then right. Where will their politics go in the golden years? The 'I want it all and I want it now' crowd confronts its hardest campaigns.
It seems you missed the entire part about the conservatives at Yale in the article okie and how they are presently in power.

Quote:
They liberal Left still thinks like the rebels they are. Many of them don't even like the country I don't think.
Ah, the "They HATE AMERICA" argument. An argument that never works when examined. I could as easily point out that you hate America since you are so willing to condemn Americans without giving them their basic civil rights guaranteed by the constitution.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:31 pm
Parados, you are hopeless. How big is government now as compared to 50 years ago? How much more involved in our lives is government now than 50 years ago? How much more liberal and permissive is society now than 50 years ago? How much less responsible are people now than 50 years ago, while expecting more out of government now than 50 years ago? If you want evidence, its everywhere and obvious. I've given you lots of obvious evidence, which you refuse to acknowledge.

Oh well, I guess back to square one. I will go back to the 1968 Democratic Party platform and point out some conservative points.

It endorses the use of lowering taxes to stimulate economic growth, and recognized the fact that such policy does indeed cause economic growth, as demonstrated by Kennedy. This is of course not popular thinking with liberals. Liberals do not believe that "trickle down economics" works.

It endorses further development of atomic energy, including pushing the breeder reactor. It was of course the modern liberal after the Humphrey generation that killed the nuclear electrical generating industry growth in the U.S.

It endorses the continued multiple use of public lands for the production of energy, timber, and mineral resources for the benefit of the nation and for the benefit of local communities where the activities are. This is not a liberal cause today, with many advocating locking up virtually all public land from the environmental raping of the land by evil corporations.

It advocates intensified enforcement against illegal drugs, organized crime, rioting, and other lawlessness, which of course is supposedly favored by liberals today, but it emphasizes increased enforcement. Compare this to Hillary Clinton advocating voting by felons now.

It endorses free enterprise and condemns communism, including Castro's Cuba, not typical of today's liberals.

It recognizes the need to maintain military and nuclear superiority to protect our interests around the world.

It pledges our support and asssistance to preserve the nation of Israel.

It pledges support for South Vietnam and its effort to avoid aggression from North Vietnam. Obviously not a liberal cause.

It endorses more free and equitable trade with other nations and strengthening competition by lowering protectionism.

Plant modernization is advocated through the use of government policy and tax policy, which is corporate welfare according to leftist liberals today.

I read nothing in the platform about advocating gay marriage and some other liberal ideas of today. You will argue that they weren't issues at that time and that the argument therefore does not apply. To the contrary, I think it very definitely demonstrates the very obvious point that things have drifted further left, as demonstrated by the fact that some of today's liberal agenda were not even issues in the 1960's. That in itself demonstrates the leftward drift.

Parados, I am not being unreasonable. I've conceded I stretched the example to make a point, but for you to continue this argument in an effort to try to argue that yesterday's liberal icon, aka Hubert Humphrey, is every bit as liberal as today's breed of modern liberal is going to prove you to be out of touch. Of course in my opinion, but I think most historians and political observers that have lived through the last 50 or 60 years would concur. I would not bet on younger ones because they simply do not have a feel for what society was like in the 50's and 60's, and history sometimes ends up written according to the wishes of the writer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:51 pm
But your opinion okie is unsupported by facts. That is the point many have made here and you accused them of attacking you.

You can't seem to take your own words to heart.
Quote:
One of the frustrations on a forum like this is the difficulty of getting people to honestly say what they believe. I think this is another example of that. I tire of moving targets to be honest.
You have been NOTHING but a moving target. You have failed to define your 21 issues any more beyond the vague generalities. You have merely trotted along with your contentions only backing away when others present a few facts that you can't dispute.

Quote:
why jump on me for simply making the obvious observation between left and right for each issue?
You feel you are being jumped on when people point out your left/right isn't really left/right at all but is a warped viewpoint intended to create and support your world view. Maybe you need to get a thicker skin.

I am sorry okie, but I am thinking I should have abandoned this exercise in frustration a week ago with everyone else. You are not here to be objective or willing to defend yourself and your opinions with facts. You merely trot out a few specious facts then retreat back to your unsupported opinions when your errors are called into question.

I made suggestions of how to define your 21 points and showed instances of where your definitions where out of whack. You never responded to those suggestions by clarifying them any more. You said you would but haven't.
Quote:
Parados, you did a great job in my opinion of laying out your thoughts on it. I am willing to see your points of view, and yes I admit to likely some bias in my characterization of left and right on each issue, but at least your reaction is constructive as opposed to treating me like an idiot, which is not appreciated.

Your only response was
Quote:
I think you will need to concede some likelihoods in the absence of clear data.
That is so much BS and you have done nothing but continue with that BS. There is NO ATTEMPT by you to clarify. There is nothing but your continued demand that I CONCEDE in your absence of data.

Quote:
If you want evidence, its everywhere and obvious. I've given you lots of obvious evidence, which you refuse to acknowledge.
That isn't evidence. It is a belief that is unsupported. If it is SO OBVIOUS then you should be able to cite several sources. When did you give me a source that I didn't acknowledge? I disputed conclusions you reached from your sources by pointing to other sources and to where your own sources disputed your conclusions.

You can't go back to the 1968 platform and point out conservative viewpoints. You haven't defined conservative viewpoints yet. Your only definition is one that supports your contention and then you change it depending on which time frame we are talking about. I am TIRED OF MOVING TARGETS okie. .Define left/right in a valid objective fashion that does NOT CHANGE or I am out of here.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:00 pm
parados wrote:
I am TIRED OF MOVING TARGETS okie. .Define left/right in a valid objective fashion that does NOT CHANGE or I am out of here.

I already did that in my 21 points. You define them if you don't like them.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm
The 1968 Democratic Party Platform
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/showplatforms.php?platindex=D1968

Quote:
Fiscal and Monetary Policy

Taxes were lowered in 1962, 1964, and 1965 to encourage more private spending and reach full employment; they were raised in 1966 and 1968 to help prevent inflation, but with a net reduction in the eight Democratic years. We will continue to use tax policy to maintain steady economic growth by helping through tax reduction to stimulate the economy when it is sluggish and through temporary tax increases to restrain inflation. To promote this objective, methods must be devised to permit prompt, temporary changes in tax rates within prescribed limits with full participation of the Congress in the decisions.

The goals of our national tax policy must be to distribute the burden of government equitably among our citizens and to promote economic efficiency and stability. We have placed major reliance on progressive taxes, which are based on the democratic principle of ability to pay. We pledge ourselves to continue to rely on such taxes, and to continue to improve the way they are levied and collected so that every American contributes to government in proportion to his ability to pay.

A thorough revamping of our federal taxes has been long overdue to make them more equitable as between rich and poor and as among people with the same income and family responsibilities. All corporation and individual preferences that do not serve the national interest should be removed. Tax preferences, like expenditures, must be rigorously evaluated to assure that the benefit to the nation is worth the cost.

We support a proposal for a minimum income tax for persons of high income based on an individual's total income regardless of source in order that wealthy persons will be required to make some kind of income tax contribution, no matter how many tax shelters they use to protect their incomes. We also support a reduction of the tax burden on the poor by lowering the income tax rates at the bottom of the tax scale and increasing the minimum standard deduction. No person or family below the poverty level should be required to pay federal income taxes.
Our goal is a balanced budget in a balanced economy. We favor distinguishing current operating expenditures from long term capital outlays and repayable loans, which should be amortized consistent with sound accounting principles. All government expenditures should be subject to firm tests of efficiency and essentiality.

An effective policy for growth and stability requires careful coordination of fiscal and monetary policies. Changes in taxes, budgets, interest rates, and money supply must be carefully blended and flexibly adjusted to assure:

Adaptation to changing economic conditions; Adequate supplies of money and credit for the expansion of industry, commerce, and housing; Maintenance of the lowest possible interest rates;

Avoidance of needless hardships on groups that depend heavily on credit.

Cooperation between fiscal and monetary authorities was greatly strengthened in the past eight years, and we pledge ourselves to continue to perfect this cooperation.

Again, the reality doesn't quite match your claim.

I get tired of your anachornistic arguments okie. They are meaningless and show a real failure to understand history. I guess we can prove that the US has moved right simply because there was no support of a missile shield in the 50s. Times change, technology changes. Just because they weren't aware of certain things in the 50s doesn't make them left or right because they supported or didn't support a techonology.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
I am TIRED OF MOVING TARGETS okie. .Define left/right in a valid objective fashion that does NOT CHANGE or I am out of here.

I already did that in my 21 points. You define them if you don't like them.
Vague statements with no objective standards of comparison..

You might as well say we can define left/right by the color blue. It makes as much sense as your statements without a test of where on the scale each side is.
0 Replies