Defining issues of today's politics / Left vs Right

okie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:43 pm
parados wrote:

By the way, your argument that the test is skewed to make people liberals doesn't hold much water. They used it to classify the candidates in the 2004 election based on their stated positions. John Kerry actually ended up on the right.

What more proof do you need to show the test gives bad results?

The question "No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it" is poorly composed. First of all, I would translate the "it's" as "it is", so the question should read as "No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it is foolish to be proud of it." Small point, but I think it is a bit clearer for a test question.

Furthermore, I assumed the "it" at the end of the sentence referred to the country of birth. Now, simply because you are born there gives you no information about whether it is foolish to be proud of your country of birth or not.

Parados, you had no choice in what family you were born into, so it is foolish to be proud of the family you were born into.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree

Answer the above question please.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 03:32 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

By the way, your argument that the test is skewed to make people liberals doesn't hold much water. They used it to classify the candidates in the 2004 election based on their stated positions. John Kerry actually ended up on the right.

What more proof do you need to show the test gives bad results?
Okie, you said the following.
okie wrote:
And that is what the poll is. The questions are leading and are slanted toward certain answers, which are more liberal. Thus when you get done with the poll, you are more convinced you are a liberal for very good reasons.
You stated the questions obviously had a liberal slant. The fact that you think it was slanted left but it put Kerry right doesn't show the test is wrong. Instead it points to your claim of it slanting left as innaccurate. You do that constantly okie. You take facts in direct opposition to your claim and state it proves you correct. That is the exact opposite of logic. Here is your logic

The test is bad because it slants left and puts everyone left.
Someone that is left was placed right.
That proves the test is bad.

There is no way to reach your conclusion. Circular reasoning at its worst okie. All facts are used by you to reach your presupposed conclusion even if they are not supportive of your argument.

Quote:
The question "No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it" is poorly composed. First of all, I would translate the "it's" as "it is",
Translate? "It's" is the contraction for "it is" there is no translation necessary. "Its" means belonging to it.
Quote:
so the question should read as "No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it is foolish to be proud of it." Small point, but I think it is a bit clearer for a test question.
That is the exact same question. No difference other than you removed a contraction. "It's" is the same as "it is."

Quote:
Furthermore, I assumed the "it" at the end of the sentence referred to the country of birth. Now, simply because you are born there gives you no information about whether it is foolish to be proud of your country of birth or not.

Parados, you had no choice in what family you were born into, so it is foolish to be proud of the family you were born into.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree

Answer the above question please.

Simple and easy to do. The exact same logic table for a family as a country. I would disagree. There are times a family's actions would make you proud and times they wouldn't make you proud. Simply being born is not a reason to be proud or not proud, but it isn't foolish to be proud since there are times you can be proud. Because there are times it is foolish to be proud I wouldn't strongly disagree.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
parados wrote:
You stated the questions obviously had a liberal slant. The fact that you think it was slanted left but it put Kerry right doesn't show the test is wrong. Instead it points to your claim of it slanting left as innaccurate. You do that constantly okie. You take facts in direct opposition to your claim and state it proves you correct. That is the exact opposite of logic. Here is your logic

The test is bad because it slants left and puts everyone left.
Someone that is left was placed right.
That proves the test is bad.

There is no way to reach your conclusion. Circular reasoning at its worst okie. All facts are used by you to reach your presupposed conclusion even if they are not supportive of your argument.

There you go again, pulling my statements out of context. Go back and read my posts and you will see that my main problem with the test is that the questions are ambiguous, perhaps not all of them altogether, but many of them, and some are extremely ambiguous. I also made the observation that the test appeared to me to have leading questions with assumptions based on liberal bias. As to why Kerry came out right wing, I think it simply points out that the ambiguity problem overwhelmed the liberal bias problem in his case, so the test was a failure in determining the man's true philosophy, so I would not recommend the test as valid. Furthermore, I have not examined how they grade the test in terms of what determines a right wing or left wing answer, so I have no confidence at all in their ratings of Kerry. If the questions are confusing, the grading of it is probably confused as well.

So to recount what I said, Parados, just in case you can't grasp it, the test questions are ambiguous, plus some have questionable assumptions leading up to the question, which I interpret as left leaning, perhaps not all. The results will therefore be inconsistent and misleading, which is what happened with Kerry. In other cases, the opposite could happen. Right wingers may come out looking like liberals. Who knows, considering the poor construction and selection of the questions.

Now, back to this question:
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree
Quote:

Simple and easy to do. The exact same logic table for a family as a country. I would disagree. There are times a family's actions would make you proud and times they wouldn't make you proud. Simply being born is not a reason to be proud or not proud, but it isn't foolish to be proud since there are times you can be proud. Because there are times it is foolish to be proud I wouldn't strongly disagree.

Thanks for the explanation, Parados, that really clears it up. Confused

How about these questions then:
Your parents were nobel peace prize winners, but since you had no choice in what parents you were born to, it is foolish to be proud of your parents.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree

And this question:
Your parents are ex-felons who axe murdered 21 people, but since you had no choice in what parents you were born to, it is foolish to be proud of your parents.
Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Agree
Strongly Agree

Answer the questions as if it doesn't matter what the parents did, because remember you had no choice about who you were born to. The only pertinent bit of information is that you had no choice in who you were born to. That is all the information needed to tell you whether it is foolish to be proud or not. Now, is all that clear to you. Simple to me. It should be simple for you to answer with logic.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:44 pm
okie wrote:

There you go again, pulling my statements out of context.
Out of context? What was the context I pulled it out of? I posted the entire statement about the test being liberal. I left nothing pertinent out. You need to go back and read your own posts. Here are your posts in order of you making them..

[quote]P. S. Your quizes are a series of loaded questions so I have no interest in engaging in a useless exercise.[/quote] "loaded questions" obviously refers to the quiz being liberal.. No mention of ambiguity in any of the questions. Loaded questions by their very nature can't be ambiguous.
[quote]The very first question: .... This is a loaded question. What is meant by serving humanity? Interests of trans-national corporations....hummm, does that mean don't let them keep the profits they earned? Obviously, the touchy feely answer if we cared about people is to let humanity be served rather than let the faceless non-human corporations have the money. Sounds like something Fidel Castro would say too.[/quote]"loaded questions" again. Then a reference to Fidel Castro.[quote]This is obviously another stupid question.[/quote] "Stupid" nothing about ambiguous.
[quote]I won't even address the rest of the questions in the first site. Two stupid questions are too many already. [/quote] More comments about stupid, nothing about ambiguous.[quote]P. S. the question: There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment. Liberal translation: conservative talk shows are worrisome, and shouldn't somebody, maybe the government, do something about this unfair press? You liberals are so transparent. [/quote]More references to liberals in relation to the quiz in that you think liberals wrote it. See your "loaded questions" above.[quote]I think all we have to do is take only the very first question. Some of the others are probably even stupider questions, but the first one will do to illustrate a point. [/quote] "Stupid." Nothing about ambiguous.[quote]It would be a waste of time. So, lets take a common sense look at the first question: If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations? The question is stupid on its face because maybe, just maybe has it ever occurred to you that the correct answer may not be an "either - or" answer, [/quote]More "stupid" Your comment refers back to the "loaded question." statements above. Loaded questions are ones designed to get a biased answer. [quote] love how the poll uses the word, "humanity." I smell a rat, better known as an "agenda" in the poll questions. [/quote] Third or is it fourth reference to the poll being a liberal agenda.[quote]You got something right. I do not think it is a logical or fair question.[/quote] Nothing about ambiguous. Just not fair.
[quote]The quiz is a perfect example. A good exercise in logic to analyze the questions correctly, and you failed. [/quote]Now its an exercise in logic but still not ambiguous.[quote]You've got to be kidding? Your poll questions are obviously conflicted. The poll question about primarily serving gives two options with a "rather than" phrase between them, which implies to me that the two are mutually exclusive, which I don't agree with, which obviously renders the question fallacious.[/quote]"Fallacious" but not ambiguous yet. Conflicted might be taken as ambiguous but the dictionary wouldn't define it as such.[quote]My question about how many Democrats like the free market is a fair one. ....We may not agree on the answer, but the question is at least unambiguous. Parados, we already know we can't agree on the answers to any questions, but now you won't even agree if a question is logical to begin with. Bizarre!!!!
[/quote]Your first use of the word "ambiguous."

Back to your previous post -
Quote:
Go back and read my posts and you will see that my main problem with the test is that the questions are ambiguous, perhaps not all of them altogether, but many of them, and some are extremely ambiguous.
I just posted your comments. They are nothing like what you just claimed now. More begging the question on your part. You are just full of logical fallacies okie.
Quote:
I also made the observation that the test appeared to me to have leading questions with assumptions based on liberal bias.
You just didn't make the observation, you commented on it SEVERAL times. It was the theme of your comments.

Quote:
As to why Kerry came out right wing, I think it simply points out that the ambiguity problem overwhelmed the liberal bias problem in his case, so the test was a failure in determining the man's true philosophy, so I would not recommend the test as valid.
Which again violates the claims you made above about the liberal bias and "loaded questions." If the questions were loaded then they would lead to a foregone conclusion. The fact that Kerry came out on the right doesn't support your "loaded question" and "liberal bias" claims. It disputes it.
You can beg the question all you want okie. I posted YOUR statements. You can post the context if you think I didn't get it right but the sheer number of statements defeats any context argument you want to make.

Quote:
So to recount what I said, Parados, just in case you can't grasp it, the test questions are ambiguous, plus some have questionable assumptions leading up to the question, which I interpret as left leaning, perhaps not all. The results will therefore be inconsistent and misleading, which is what happened with Kerry. In other cases, the opposite could happen. Right wingers may come out looking like liberals. Who knows, considering the poor construction and selection of the questions.
Another logical fallacy. Repetition of a false argument to give it weight. Lets all pretend okie didn't make any of his previous statements. That should work real well. Your statements are there for all to read okie. You can say I changed them or took them out of context. Anyone can go back and check them. NO mention of ambiguity until late in the discussion. Many mentions of loaded questions and liberal bias.

The rest of your post in asking irrelevant questions is just an attempt to change the subject.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:46 pm
ambiguous - having two or more possible meanings, not clear, indefinite, uncertain, vague.

loaded - carrying a load, weighted, specifically - weighted on certain sides so as to fall with the desired sides up: said of fraudulant dice.

stupid - lacking normal intelligence or understanding, slow witted, dull. showing or resulting from a lack of normal intelligence: foolish: irrational: as what a stupid idea.

unfair - not just or impartial; biased; inequitable.

fallacious - based on a fallacy; faulty in logic; erroneous; as fallacious reasoning. misleading and disappointing; deceptive; as fallacious expectations.

conflicted - to clash; be antagonistic, incompatible, or contradictory; be in opposition.

illogical - not logical or reasonable; using, based on, or caused by faulty reasoning.

leading question - a question put in such a way as to suggest the answer sought.

bias - a mental leaning or inclination; partiality; prejudice.

Yes I confess to using all the above. They all apply. If I forgot to mention any terms that I used, I am supremely sorry. I could probably think of some more if you need some more to argue about.

And answer the last two questions I posed please. They are not irrelevant to the subject at all. They illustrate a very relevant point concerning the question of being proud. It is not changing the subject as you claim. They are exactly on subject.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:06 am
None of which changes the following -

You claimed the test was liberally biased to create a liberal outcome.
Kerry, who you claim is an extreme liberal, ended up on the right side of the scale.
You claimed Kerry being on the right proves the test was inaccurate.

That is a logical fallacy.

Nor does it change this statement by yours that compares to your actual statements
Quote:
Go back and read my posts and you will see that my main problem with the test is that the questions are ambiguous,
Your main problem was not ambiguity. Ambiguity came to the table late in the discussion. Bias was the first thing you mentioned.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:20 am
Your definitions are a logical fallacy in that they are a red herring okie

Quote:
Description of Red Herring
A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

Topic A is under discussion.
Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
Topic A is abandoned.

You abandoned this argument
Quote:
Go back and read my posts and you will see that my main problem with the test is that the questions are ambiguous
and just posted definitions under the guise that the definitions were relevent. They might be relevent if you can point to the specific definitions that support the argument you just abandoned. Your failure to point to the relevence makes your post a red herring.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
I posted the meanings of the words to illustrate all were somewhat related and applicable to the argument. That is why I've used all of the words. They all apply in various ways and various degrees, so any suggestion that I am switching arguments is totally wrong. I am simply casting the light on your lack of understanding from different angles in efforts to get you to see the light.

As to Kerry being graded the way he did, there are too many variables that may have affected the outcome, including:

Slanted, ambiguous, confusing, what else, oh yes, just basicly an unreliable test.

The grading of the test may be unreliable. For example, how do you know which answer indicates a liberal or conservative answer for sure?

Kerry may have been confused by the questions and mis-interpreted the questions.

Kerry may have lied to skew the test on purpose. After all, he has been proven to have lied about much larger issues than this.

Before I even believe the results about Kerry, I would need to look at the details of him taking the test and how it was graded. I do not accept your results on face value. You need to provide documentation. You cannot simply come on here and make claims that I have no idea whether they are true or not. You need some evidence that the test is valid and that it was graded properly. Parados, do you have information on this, and perhaps any other people that took the test? If so, lets look at those results. It could help the evaluation.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 12:52 pm
okie wrote:
I posted the meanings of the words to illustrate all were somewhat related and applicable to the argument. That is why I've used all of the words. They all apply in various ways and various degrees, so any suggestion that I am switching arguments is totally wrong. I am simply casting the light on your lack of understanding from different angles in efforts to get you to see the light.
Until you provide HOW those definitions apply to your claim "ambiguous was your primary argument" it is a red herring. You provided definitions but no explanation of how they supported your claim. If something is weighted to one side it isn't likely to have 2 meanings in conflict with each other since 2 equally weighted conflicting meanings would make it not weighted.

Quote:
As to Kerry being graded the way he did, there are too many variables that may have affected the outcome, including:

Slanted, ambiguous, confusing, what else, oh yes, just basicly an unreliable test.

The grading of the test may be unreliable. For example, how do you know which answer indicates a liberal or conservative answer for sure?
Gee. we don't know but you have concluded that it IS biased. A rather interesting argument on your part. Begging the question about your begging the question.

Quote:
Kerry may have been confused by the questions and mis-interpreted the questions.
No one said Kerry took the test. Read my statement.

Quote:
Kerry may have lied to skew the test on purpose. After all, he has been proven to have lied about much larger issues than this.
The ad hominum logic fallacy now.

Quote:
Before I even believe the results about Kerry, I would need to look at the details of him taking the test and how it was graded. I do not accept your results on face value. You need to provide documentation.
Not my results They are the posted results of those that provided the test.

Quote:
You cannot simply come on here and make claims that I have no idea whether they are true or not.
I can't make claims without evidence? Lets go back and look at your statement.
Quote:
I think you will need to concede some likelihoods in the absence of clear data.
There is a perfect example of a special pleading fallacy. You don't have to live up to the standard you demand of the other side. I will provide a link to back up my claim. http://politicalcompass.org/ click the US 2004 link on the bottom left side of the page. Out of courtesy you might want to do the same when questioned on your facts.

Quote:
You need some evidence that the test is valid and that it was graded properly. Parados, do you have information on this, and perhaps any other people that took the test? If so, lets look at those results. It could help the evaluation.
Another example of the special pleading fallacy and you throw in the burden of proof fallacy too. You claimed it wasn't valid. I never made a claim it was valid or not. I only disagreed with your claim that it was obviously biased left. The burden of proof is on you to prove the test not valid. You have made a lot of assertions that have no support from any outside sources. You have made a lot of conclusions based on your conclusions. Circular reasoning. Your logic has been nonexistent. Logical fallacies run rampant through your arguments.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
parados wrote:

Quote:

Thats really a valid test, Parados. Make up the questions, some of them confusing, ambiguous, and leading, plus all the other terms I used so you don't think I am switching arguments here, then answer the questions for the person taking the test, then grade the test in whatever manner you wish.

I'm glad to know what kind of tests you think are valid. This one is really great obviously as it showed Kerry a right winger. If he is, I'm sure Humphrey would have been even further right. I hope you realize you have just lost the argument that this thread was started for. You assert the test is valid. In so doing, you support the result of Kerry being a right winger. All you have to admit is that old Hubert was at least as conservative as Kerry. That should be a slam dunk. When I said Humphrey might be considered by some to even be a right winger compared to leftists of today if he were alive, I was indeed correct by your own arguments. I win.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:49 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

Quote:

Thats really a valid test, Parados. Make up the questions, some of them confusing, ambiguous, and leading, plus all the other terms I used so you don't think I am switching arguments here, then answer the questions for the person taking the test, then grade the test in whatever manner you wish.
A lot of assumptions on your part okie.. Got any facts or just begging the question again?

Quote:
I'm glad to know what kind of tests you think are valid.
Strawman argument on your part.
Quote:
This one is really great obviously as it showed Kerry a right winger. If he is, I'm sure Humphrey would have been even further right. I hope you realize you have just lost the argument that this thread was started for. You assert the test is valid.
Please cite where I specifically said the test was "valid." I don't recall ever saying that. I can't find any reference to my saying it is a valid test.
Quote:
In so doing, you support the result of Kerry being a right winger.
strawman again
Quote:
All you have to admit is that old Hubert was at least as conservative as Kerry. That should be a slam dunk. When I said Humphrey might be considered by some to even be a right winger compared to leftists of today if he were alive, I was indeed correct by your own arguments. I win.
If Humphrey is the same as Kerry then it doesn't make him a RWer compared to leftists today it would make him the SAME. Do you bother to think before you type? If someone is the SAME on the left/right scale then they can't be further right.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:41 pm
parados wrote:
A lot of assumptions on your part okie.. Got any facts or just begging the question again?

Strawman argument on your part.

Please cite where I specifically said the test was "valid." I don't recall ever saying that. I can't find any reference to my saying it is a valid test.

strawman again

If Humphrey is the same as Kerry then it doesn't make him a RWer compared to leftists today it would make him the SAME. Do you bother to think before you type? If someone is the SAME on the left/right scale then they can't be further right.

Pretty lame answers in my opinion. Here you've been defending the test for page after page after page, not giving an inch, yet when I conclude from all of this that you think the test is valid, you start denying you ever said the test was valid. Make up your mind.

Now, concerning Humphrey, I used your reasoning Parados, not mine. I never said I thought the test was valid. It was you that defended it to the hilt. If you are going to take a position, then you need to own up to the position. And finally, I think it is ludicrous for you to claim that Humphrey would be the same as Kerry on the left/right scale. On what basis can you assume that? You present no evidence. For starters on that subject, I would have a very difficult time indeed in believing Humphrey would ever dream of accusing our military of committing atrocities on a day to day basis, as Kerry has done, and has never disavowed to any significant extent as far as I can tell. Only recently, Kerry was at it again, accusing the military of terrorizing women and children in Iraq, and said that such activities, I assume he meant the terrorizing of women and children, should be done by the Iraqis instead.

I only mention those things about Kerry for the purposes of the way I view a Kerry vs. a Humphrey. I may not have agreed with Humphrey, but Hubert Humphrey was a man that I think most Americans could respect even if they did not agree with him. He may have had a different political philosophy, but the man loved his country, he had a moral grounding, and knew what he believed. Many of us cannot say the same for the new left in America, which I think has gained control of your party in more recent years, of which I think Kerry would belong to.

Now, I think I am going to take a breather for a few days, or at least lighten up. I commend you for your dedication to what you believe. I have no animosity whatsoever. I still intend to go back and research Humphrey and related subjects some more, but I think we've about beat this test subject to death. I am not going to claim to be right every single time or that I have expressed my arguments perfectly every time, but I think I landed some good punches, and I think you need to admit some errors in your reasoning as well, which I think should be obvious. Nobody is perfect, so don't claim that you are. I have very much enjoyed the debate so far.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:13 pm
Hardly lame at all.

The only lame answer is yours. Disagreeing with you does NOT equate with thinking the test is valid. I disagreed with your claim that it was created to only return liberal answers.

I don't see that how the test shows everyone to be a liberal.

Quote:
All you have to admit is that old Hubert was at least as conservative as Kerry. That should be a slam dunk. When I said Humphrey might be considered by some to even be a right winger compared to leftists of today if he were alive, I was indeed correct by your own arguments. I win.
Do you not understand your own statement? You said I need to admit that Hubert is as conservative as Kerry. You on more than a couple of occasions have put Kerry far left with other "leftists" If I say Humphrey is as conservative as Kerry and other lefists you don't win at all. You would lose your argument that Humphrey is MORE RW than Kerry and today's liberals.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:25 pm
okie,

You have now been here long enough that your arguments are always the same and easy to predict.

You use your personal opinion and claim it is fact.
When asked to support your statements with some evidence you fail to provide it.
When pressed, you state the other side needs to provide their evidence and you will dispute that rather than defending your own statements.
If people disagree with your political opinion you refer to them as "socialists" or "communists."
You tend to take any statement including ones that dispute your arguments and claim they support your stance in spite of all logic.

Your arguments are rife with logical fallacies. In fact, I don't see much logic to your arguments at all.

Making illogical statements and claiming victory after the other side has disputed it might work for Rush and Hannity because they can prevent the other side from making any counter arguments on their radio shows. It doesn't work that way here. You can learn to back up your arguments or not. Like I said earlier. It doesn't much matter, but you will be treated with the respect you earn. Failing to back up anything you say and always trotting out the same fallacies won't earn you any respect.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:03 pm
parados wrote:

Wow. So your personal opinion is always based on all facts? Your opinion is altogether facts? I will have to say I have never encountered such arrogance.

Face it, this forum is mostly opinion, backed up by selected facts and other opinions that people cite to support their opinions. Both sides have facts that can be chosen to support their political position. Facts have to be properly interpreted. To suggest that I have no facts and you have all facts is ludicrous. You have some, I have some, and we interpret the evidence in different ways. Some of your facts, I do not think are pertinent or as important as you do, and I don't think you properly interpret many of those so-called facts. What you think is a fact, may not be a fact at all. That is what a political forum is all about, to interpret the political scene as to what we think is going on and why. I will at least admit to expressing my interpretation or opinion. That is what freedom of speech is about.

For you to suggest that your interpretation is the only true and perfect interpretation, without a fraction of a mistake or error is arrogance personafied. If you ever ran for office, heaven help us, you certainly would never get my vote. Have a good evening and lighten up. Now you can have the last word. I'm done for today.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:27 am
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

Wow. So your personal opinion is always based on all facts? Your opinion is altogether facts? I will have to say I have never encountered such arrogance.
strawman. I never said that. I try to base my opinion on facts. When questioned I try to back it up with facts and show why I reached my conclusions. That does not equate to I think my opinion is factual.

Quote:
Face it, this forum is mostly opinion, backed up by selected facts and other opinions that people cite to support their opinions. Both sides have facts that can be chosen to support their political position. Facts have to be properly interpreted. To suggest that I have no facts and you have all facts is ludicrous. You have some, I have some, and we interpret the evidence in different ways.
The difference is I and others provide sources. You don't.
Quote:
Some of your facts, I do not think are pertinent or as important as you do, and I don't think you properly interpret many of those so-called facts.
You are entitled to think something isn't a fact. However you need to show why, not just claim it, if you want to form a proper argument.
Quote:

What you think is a fact, may not be a fact at all. That is what a political forum is all about, to interpret the political scene as to what we think is going on and why. I will at least admit to expressing my interpretation or opinion. That is what freedom of speech is about.

For you to suggest that your interpretation is the only true and perfect interpretation, without a fraction of a mistake or error is arrogance personafied. If you ever ran for office, heaven help us, you certainly would never get my vote. Have a good evening and lighten up. Now you can have the last word. I'm done for today.

I know the difference between fact and opinion. I never suggested that my interpretation was the only true and perfect one. I would never do such a thing. That is your other failing. You only see things in black and white. Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean mine is right. It only means yours isn't supported.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:05 pm
To revisit this thread and the subject of Hubert Humphrey. I asserted that Hubert Humphrey, considered the model liberal of his day, was actually distinctly more conservative than todays liberals, demonstrating my assertion that politics is drifting left. Parados and I carried on a heated debate that eventually drifted far afield. Parados, you complained I made statements unsupported by referenced information. Well I have a bit more to offer, but I will try not to make this too long. First of all, the list of issues and my original gradings of Humphrey:

1. Size, Scope, and Power of Government - Humphrey L, Bush M
2. Economic Policy / Taxes - Humphrey L, Bush M
3. Defense / Terrorism - Humphrey C, Bush C
4. Foreign Policy / Trade - Humphrey ? but maybe M or C, Bush C
5. Social Security - Humphrey L, Bush M
6. Health Care - Humphrey L, Bush L
7. Welfare - Humphrey L, Bush M
8. Education - Humphrey L, Bush L
9. Energy - Humphrey M or C, Bush C
10. Civil Rights - Humphrey L, Bush M
12. Illegal Immigration - Humphrey M or C, Bush M
13. Crime / Drug Policy - Humphrey C, Bush C
14. Environment - Humphrey M, Bush M
15. Religion & Government - Humphrey C, Bush C
16. Private Property Rights - Humphrey ? but probably M or C, Bush C
17. Public Lands Policy - Humphrey M or C, Bush C
18. Organized Labor - Humphrey L, Bush M
19. Morality / Family Values - Humphrey C, Bush C
20. Gay Marriage - Humphrey ? but probably M to L, Bush M
21. Gun Control - Humphrey? but probably M or C, Bush C

I counted M as 50%.

I will now only address the ones where I graded Humphrey M or C, and I would also say that for the ones where I possibly graded Humphrey an M, my burden of proving my argument is not as great:

I rated Humphrey conservative because he was generally strong on defense, very patriotic, anti-communist, and only in his latter years did he try to extend olive branches to the peace activists, anti-vietnam protestors and the new liberal wing of the party that emerged at the time of his running for the presidency.
http://www.counterpunch.org/taylor0813.html
http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&DocID=1157

4. Foreign Policy / Trade - Humphrey ? but maybe M or C, Bush C
I really don't know what to make of this one, so I won't address it. I really do not know how to characterize liberal and conservative on this, and I don't know about Humphrey.

I contend that Humphrey's generation was much more traditional, and "oil" was not a dirty word, and was not considered to be by Hubert Humphrey. The following link talks about some experiences of geologists with various senators and the atmosphere of cooperation, not opposition with oil finders into the 60's.
http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/documents/2004/wilson/index.htm

11. Abortion - Humphrey M, Bush M
Even early feminists opposed abortion, and by 1965 virtually all states had outlawed abortion except to save the life of the mother. I am not aware that Humphrey crusaded against the common cultural view of his generation.
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/abortionuslegal/a/abortion.htm
Further, we have quotes like this from Humphrey: "It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " One can argue about what the dawn of life means, but when you honestly look at the context of society and the generation of Hubert Humphrey, I would find it very hard to believe he would be an avid pro abortionist. Even politicians like Al Gore, the epitomy of a modern liberal, opposed abortion earlier in his career.

I will lump these two together. I point out again that when Humphrey was nominated at the 68 convention, the convention was rocked with riots and unruly mobs in the streets. Humphrey represented the old guard Democrats, which these people were protesting against, and he was very opposed to such activity, hence these statements in his acceptance speech: "Every American, black or white, rich or poor, has the right in this land of ours to a safe and a decent neighborhood. And on this there can be no compromise. I put it very bluntly. Rioting, sniping, mugging, traffic in narcotics and disregard for law are the advance guard of anarchy and they must and they will be stopped. But may I say most respectfully, particularly to some who have spoken before, the answer lies in reasoned, effective action by state, local and federal authority. The answer does not lie in an attack on our courts, our laws or our Attorney General. We do not want a police state, but we need a state of law and order. And neither mob violence nor police brutality have any place in America. And I pledge to use every resource that is available to the President to end for once and for all the fear that is in our cities."

One could argue that everyone is for law and order, but I would submit that many Democrats since about 1970 engaged in or have been sympathetic to civil disobedience and are rather proud of it still. Humphrey was in no way shape or form part of that mindset, and not only did he believe in law and order, but he made a point of including those strong statements in his speech. I believe this more conservative philosophy as common for his generation for both Democrats and Republicans would apply to both the crime and illegal immigration issues.

14. Environment - Humphrey M, Bush M
One only needs to go back to history and see that the environment did not become much a political issue until the 70's. Neither Nixon or Humphrey mentioned it to speak of. Humphrey may have been for conservation, and helped create wilderness, but he did not advocate the locking up of most federal land at the expense of energy production, mining, logging, grazing, and other multiple use activities. The strident environmental Democrats are clearly to the left of where Humphrey was in the prime his political career. Note I do not rate Humphrey a C, however.
http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.30/pub_detail.asp

Simply read his speeches and you do not find a paranoia of mentioning God or religious influence on government. In fact in his acceptance speech he quotes the pledge: "I take my stand. We are and we must be one nation -- united by liberty and justice for all, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. This is our America."

He clearly says that "our America" is one that is one nation "under God." That attitude was clearly the attitude of Hubert's generation. It is not the attitude of the leftist Demcrat of today.

16. Private Property Rights - Humphrey ? but probably M or C, Bush C
I thought I had a link here, but couldn't find it, but suffice it to say it would be a stretch to argue that Humphrey would have been against private property rights as some socialist - left leaning liberals are now, but since I can't cite anything in particular here, I will concede this point and give an L to Humphrey even though I see little proof of that rating as well.

17. Public Lands Policy - Humphrey M or C, Bush C
In the following link: this quote: "Is that the way it was supposed to work? No way. When the National Forest Management Act was passed in 1976, Senator Hubert Humphrey proclaimed something to the effect that we have now taken national forest management out of the courts and given it back to the professionals. Instead, the opposite has happened."
Of course, what we have are liberal left organizations like the Sierra Club and others that have placed the management of public lands into the courts and have taken it out of the hands of professionals, as Humphrey thought he was doing and was in favor of, which would of course be consistent with public lands policies advocated by most people of his generation. We have seen a definite turn to the left in regard to multiple use advocacy among the leftist liberal element of today. They wish to lock up virtually all public land from any energy production or other uses.

http://www.safnet.org/policyandpress/psst/safplanningtestimony.cfm

19. Morality / Family Values - Humphrey C, Bush C
20. Gay Marriage - Humphrey ? but probably M to L, Bush M

I will lump these two together. Many sources can point out the distinct difference of the older generation Democratic liberals, of which Humphrey was a member, and the new social liberals that grew out of the disorder and rejection of traditional values in the 60's and 70's.

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?contentid=253363&kaid=127&subid=171

You could argue that we do not know what Humphrey's stance on Gay Marriage was, but a better argument points out that it was not an issue because virtually nobody of his generation even considered it feasible or logical, so it is certainly illogical to argue that Humphrey would be as socially liberal as the modern liberal in regard to morality, family values, and gay marriage.

21. Gun Control - Humphrey? but probably M or C, Bush C
Here again, Humphrey displays the more conservative social attitude of his generation, as evidenced by this quote: "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be very carefully used and that definite rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of the citizen to bear arms is just one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible."

While it is clear that Humphrey was a prominent liberal of his generation, and that is why I picked him as an example to argue my point, there is nevertheless much evidence that he is more conservative on many issues than the modern liberal. In my opinion, this comparison serves to argue very strongly that politics have very definitely drifted to the left. For those of us that lived through the 50's until now, it is a common perception. And one only needs to ask an older generation, of which my parents are, and they will affirm that perception even more. Parados insists on links and proof beyond a reasonable doubt as if we are in a courtroom here. So I've provided a few more links. More could be provided but I think this should be long enough.

One last point concerning the arguments here, part of the problem is that some of today's issues simply were not issues in Humphrey's day. One could argue that the evidence is limited because of somewhat limited information, but I contend that the fact some things were not yet issues proves even further that if some of those issues were not issues, then that fact alone proves the drift of our culture to the left.

Of course I doubt I've budged you at all, Parados, but at least it has been interesting to me and I believe I've made some valid arguments to support my point.

Oh, one last tidbit I forgot, here is this quote about Hubert Humphrey concerning quotas, etc. stemming from the Civil Rights legislation:
"When Congress adopted the Civil Rights Act of 1964, supporters insisted it would never lead to preferences or quotas; Sen. Hubert Humphrey offered to eat the pages of the bill if that happened."
So apparently Humphrey was against quotas and preferences, so even though I rated Humphrey liberal in this respect, it looks like he is to the right of the modern liberal in this regard, as quotas and preferences are clearly advocated by many as a way to right the wrongs of the past. And it appears Humphrey would be suffering from indigestion these days after eating the pages of the bill. The above quote from:
http://www.akst.com/collision.htm

And one last observation from my Dad, who has a pretty clear memory concerning politics. His main observation was that "Humphrey was quite a talker" and that he was very convincing if he could talk long enough, which he often did. He said that he had Nixon and Wallace almost convinced to cast their vote for him in the 68 election, and would have if the campaign had lasted another day or two.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:07 am
Quote:
I rated Humphrey conservative because he was generally strong on defense, very patriotic, anti-communist, and only in his latter years did he try to extend olive branches to the peace activists, anti-vietnam protestors and the new liberal wing of the party that emerged at the time of his running for the presidency.
http://www.counterpunch.org/taylor0813.html
http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&DocID=1157

Lets examine this one at a time.
From the counterpunch article and it's reference to Humphrey...
Quote:
Humphrey had his good points, but his brand of liberalism was pragmatic and largely based on his own emotional personality, not on constitutional principles or spiritual values. This being the case, whenever a president couched some imperialistic endeavor in nice-sounding, humanitarian language, Humphrey was pleased as punch to give his enthusiastic support to the mission. So, you had him endorsing interventions in Guatemala and the Dominican Republic and the war in Vietnam.

Interventions based on humanitrian reasons is NOT conservative by any stretch of the imagination. It is the direct opposite of it. I challenge you to find my any conservative interventions based on humanitarian reasons.

Your NewAmerica link doesn't work so I can't comment on that.

So.. for 3.. Nothing to support your claim he is conservative as of yet.

Quote:
I contend that Humphrey's generation was much more traditional, and "oil" was not a dirty word, and was not considered to be by Hubert Humphrey. The following link talks about some experiences of geologists with various senators and the atmosphere of cooperation, not opposition with oil finders into the 60's.
http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/documents/2004/wilson/index.htm

The only mentions of Humphrey are ...
A joke about using cow manure for a fuel (Sounds like renewable fuel to me.) and then
Quote:
During that visit to Washington, I also attended a Senator Humphrey sponsored conference on Oceanography, as related to environmental protection in deep-ocean drilling.
Environmental protection during drilling? That is a conservative issue? What planet do you live on Okie? That in no way makes Humphrey conservative. ENVIRONMENTALLY SOUND DRILLING is liberal beyond belief. Conservatives had to be dragged kicking and screaming to protecting the environment while drilling for oil.

Quote:
11. Abortion - Humphrey M, Bush M
Even early feminists opposed abortion, and by 1965 virtually all states had outlawed abortion except to save the life of the mother. I am not aware that Humphrey crusaded against the common cultural view of his generation.
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/abortionuslegal/a/abortion.htm Nothing about Humphrey in this.
Further, we have quotes like this from Humphrey: "It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " One can argue about what the dawn of life means, but when you honestly look at the context of society and the generation of Hubert Humphrey, I would find it very hard to believe he would be an avid pro abortionist. Even politicians like Al Gore, the epitomy of a modern liberal, opposed abortion earlier in his career.
Recycling this argument doesn't make it any more valid. The dawn of life is birth as I pointed out many times in this thread. There is nothing from this time period showing it to be anything else.

You haven't supported a thing here okie. You have just thrown stuff out there hoping no one will bother to look at. Then you recycle old arguments that you couldn't support 2 months ago. What you think, what you find, what you demand I believe don't really matter much in a debate. You have to provide something more substantial than what you are.

Simply declaring everyone to the right of Mao Tse Tung to be conservative doesn't mean they are. You need to contrast and compare. If Gore and Kerry are far left then you have to find where they DIFFER from the right. Using your logic and limited facts, I could prove that Gore and Kerry are both conservative. They are both for law and order. They both supported oil production. They both supported the military.

Humphrey would not be comfortable with today's conservatives. Where do you think his kids got their values and ideals?

I'll deal with the rest point by point later..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:29 am
Quote:
I will lump these two together. I point out again that when Humphrey was nominated at the 68 convention, the convention was rocked with riots and unruly mobs in the streets. Humphrey represented the old guard Democrats, which these people were protesting against, and he was very opposed to such activity, hence these statements in his acceptance speech: "Every American, black or white, rich or poor, has the right in this land of ours to a safe and a decent neighborhood. And on this there can be no compromise. I put it very bluntly. Rioting, sniping, mugging, traffic in narcotics and disregard for law are the advance guard of anarchy and they must and they will be stopped. But may I say most respectfully, particularly to some who have spoken before, the answer lies in reasoned, effective action by state, local and federal authority. The answer does not lie in an attack on our courts, our laws or our Attorney General. We do not want a police state, but we need a state of law and order. And neither mob violence nor police brutality have any place in America. And I pledge to use every resource that is available to the President to end for once and for all the fear that is in our cities."

One could argue that everyone is for law and order, but I would submit that many Democrats since about 1970 engaged in or have been sympathetic to civil disobedience and are rather proud of it still. Humphrey was in no way shape or form part of that mindset, and not only did he believe in law and order, but he made a point of including those strong statements in his speech. I believe this more conservative philosophy as common for his generation for both Democrats and Republicans would apply to both the crime and illegal immigration issues.
A completely falacious argument. You use a quote by Humphrey about rioting and then compare it to civil disobedience. Civil disobedience is not rioting. For god's sake okie. If we use rioting as the standard then Clinton (and Gore by association) was conservative because of police crackdown during the WTO in Seattle.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:37 am
Quote:
Simply read his speeches and you do not find a paranoia of mentioning God or religious influence on government. In fact in his acceptance speech he quotes the pledge: "I take my stand. We are and we must be one nation -- united by liberty and justice for all, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. This is our America."

He clearly says that "our America" is one that is one nation "under God." That attitude was clearly the attitude of Hubert's generation. It is not the attitude of the leftist Demcrat of today.

Yeah? and? Clinton went to church regularly. Clinton referenced God. Gore and Kerry both did too. This is from Al Gore's concession speech to Bush

Quote:
Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency, "Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I'm with you, Mr. President, and God bless you."

Well, in that same spirit, I say to President-elect Bush that what remains of partisan rancor must now be put aside, and may God bless his stewardship of this country.

Neither he nor I anticipated this long and difficult road. Certainly neither of us wanted it to happen. Yet it came, and now it has ended, resolved, as it must be resolved, through the honored institutions of our democracy.

Over the library of one of our great law schools is inscribed the motto, "Not under man but under God and law."
Gee he mentions God a lot in his speech. I guess that proves that Gore is conservative.

From John Kerry's acceptance speech at the Democratic Convention

Quote:
Thank you. Good night. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America
I guess that proves that Kerry is conservative.

We have just proven there are NO LIBERALS on the issue of God. Thank you, good night and God bless you.
0 Replies