Let's talk about Paul...

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:08 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
I've been through this scenario before but... I'll put it out there again. It can't be denied that if three people witness a car wreck when the police come to take a report they will receive three similar stories, however every detail will not match exactly. Why? Three different people saw it from three different perspectives.

Yes, but Paul wasn't actually there. He was nowhere Jesus when his disciples were following him and as far as we can tell, nowhere near Jesus when he was crucified or when he reappeared in front of the Disciples after his resurrection.

So then that disqualifies him as being one who could have any authority or knowledge at all on the subject of Jesus?

Only in the sense that he has nothing to back up his authority.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:10 pm
And what do you have to back up your authority on this subject wolf? What do I have to back up mine? What does anyone else have except the oppinions of others they've read and chose to believe? None of us were there, correct?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
However, would you not agree that the devoted inquirer would want to know what Paul and Origen and Pamphilus and Eusebius did to the scriptural canon? In saying as much, i do not assert that we can ever know this--although things such as the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls suggest that it is not out of the realm of possibility that "pre-Pauline" or "pre-Origenian" texts might be discovered. In historiography, cui bono is the prime question in considering evidentiary reliability. So, i suppose i simply choose scepticism over a desire to belive, no?

I wasn't sure of your caffeine prejudices, i'd have been happy to offer you some of my personal dark roast caffica arabica/mild caffica robusta blend.
This deserves a topic, don't you think?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:14 pm
The canon, not the coffee, which would be most enjoyable.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:14 pm
Well, the paucity of grist for the mill suggests to me spinning wheels . . .
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
You lost me setanta...
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:30 pm
Are you sure we're not talking about this guy...

http://www.beatlesagain.com/images/paul.jpg
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:32 pm
My response to wolf is meant merely as food for thought for all of us involved in this discussion. So now with the permission of those involved I'd actually like to move on the real topic.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:33 pm
LOL crazydiamond, I love your signature!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:34 pm
hephzibah wrote:
You lost me setanta...

Neo proposes discussing to what extent Paul, Origen, Pamphilus and Eusebius edited and corrected the scriptural canon. As we have no evidence for what constituted the canon prior to those activities by those early christians, we would have nothing to discuss. With no grist for the mill, our mill wheel would just be spinning . . .
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:38 pm
Thank you very much for clarifying that. And your point is quite concrete. That's not a road I wish to go down because I have just gotten on the road to understand what is being offered as evidence concerning them. Whew...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:46 pm
revel wrote:
I agree with hephzibah, God gave us free will, so much so that what we do is not preordained beforehand. Proof of that is in the bible where God said that some of the things people did never entered into his mind.

Quote:
Jer 19:5 They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire [for] burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake [it], neither came [it] into my mind:

Thank you revel, I totally missed your post!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
You lost me setanta...

Neo proposes discussing to what extent Paul, Origen, Pamphilus and Eusebius edited and corrected the scriptural canon. As we have no evidence for what constituted the canon prior to those activities by those early christians, we would have nothing to discuss. With no grist for the mill, our mill wheel would just be spinning . . .
However, we do have available the opinions of Irenaeus, Clement, Tertullian, Cyril, Cheltenham and others, as well as the canons of Eusebius and Origen to compare.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:12 pm
J_B wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

I'm going to reply to your question with a question for you...

Where did Paul change the original message to make it appealing to the Gentiles? I would like to see actual proof here please.

As far as your last question... I will ask again for proof of this.

Oh yeah... I have one more question for everyone reading this and thinking of responding...

What is it that makes your sources of information more credible than the sources that wrote the bible?

Heph, have you looked at the link I posted on page one? It's a pretty good detail of everything you're asking.

JB please accept my apologies. I am not trying to ignore you. I've just been getting pulled in other directions. LOL Sorry! I haven't looked at the link yet, but I am going there now! I will get back to you on this soon I hope...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:19 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
You lost me setanta...

However, we do have available the opinions of Irenaeus, Clement, Tertullian, Cyril, Cheltenham and others, as well as the canons of Eusebius and Origen to compare.

Neo, while I can appreciate your angle on this I need to ask that at least for now we don't complicate this too much by throwing too many ingredients into the batter. I recognize that there are still other opinions out there to be discussed. However, if we get too many going here the likelihood of me just walking away from this having gained nothing except a whole heck of a lot of confusion is increased greatly. I'm not opposed to seeing all sides of this. Just not all at once please.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:22 pm
hephzibah wrote:

You say God is going to great pains to keep his activities a secret, yet how can you say that when you are not willing to see or believe those activities could be happening at all? Because God doesn't function within the boundaries that you have set up in your mind it appears you are saying, well he's just not working then...

By "when you are not willing to see or believe those activities could be happening at all?" are you suggesting that I am silly to disbelieve the existence of God because I'm not ascribing what are deemed normal every-day occurences to supernatural influence? That seems a bit backwards.

Quote:
Maybe you don't see it questioner, but what you are offering as a burden of proof here for God's absense is what PEOPLE are doing. Therefore if one were to read between the lines on this you are putting the blame on God directly for not "controling His people" by making His presence known. The same as the parents in the example I gave.

Apologies, I see where you were heading with that example now.

To that end, let me offer that if God was an active being, the reasonable action he would take would be to keep his church in order. I say this would be the 'reasonable action' because the church and the bible is the only window the rest of the world has to know him.

And you say God doesn't act within the boundaries that I set up. . . well, that's really just a way for those that hold to belief over reason to justify their believing despite the gaping holes and lack of thoroughness that their 'god' has put forth as 'his word'. I know we won't see eye to eye on this, but at some point the being created 'in his image' has to represent him to some degree.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
Hephzibah,

I don't know all that much about this issue, but I am watching, reading, and learning. Great stuff!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:44 pm
Quote:
By "when you are not willing to see or believe those activities could be happening at all?" are you suggesting that I am silly to disbelieve the existence of God because I'm not ascribing what are deemed normal every-day occurences to supernatural influence? That seems a bit backwards.

Oh no questioner not at all! I promise you that. Please forgive me if that's how it sounds. I respect your opinion and wouldn't want to demean you or the words you say. Please know that is not my intent.

Quote:
And you say God doesn't act within the boundaries that I set up. . . well, that's really just a way for those that hold to belief over reason to justify their believing despite the gaping holes and lack of thoroughness that their 'god' has put forth as 'his word'. I know we won't see eye to eye on this, but at some point the being created 'in his image' has to represent him to some degree.

LOL questioner I really think we might both be on the same page here without realizing it. I agree 100% that "being created 'in his image' has to represent him to some degree." However, we also have to keep in mind the source. One of common things said about christians is exactly what you are saying. They aren't representing Him as they should. But remember there's two sides to this coin. As much as christians have set a "standard to live by" for those who don't believe in God. So also have those who don't believe set a "standard to live by" for those who do believe. Both sides sit in judgement of each other because neither side is living up to the expectations they have set for each other.

It's ridiculous. It's unreasonable for either side to point fingers at each other.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:46 pm
Personally, i consider a christian to hypocritical when they do not meet the standards of their professed creed. My standards are so low as to be almost invisible, and even christians can meet them--it they try real hard.

Do no harm.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
Personally, i consider a christian to hypocritical when they do not meet the standards of their professed creed. My standards are so low as to be almost invisible, and even christians can meet them--it they try real hard.

Do no harm.

Ah ha! Good point Setanta... one I forgot to meantion. My aplogies. But it's not limited to christians only. People who don't believe in God can just as easily profess a creed and not live by it, which would make them just as hypocritcal as the christians, right?
0 Replies