Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:38 am
ok... ya'll are scaring me now....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:27 am
Questioner wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
djjd... I'm sorry I lost you there... lol... ok I lost myself on that one... I'm dealing with more than one thing at a time here and trying to make it all work. Apparently it's not working so well for me. It sure made sense when I typed it though! oh boy...

Terry, this is what I'm trying to find out here. I don't understand a lot of this stuff. I've never studied anything much more than the bible. I'm openly admitting this because I want to understand the other sides of this issue. I believe in God. That will not change. I've been through too much to deny He exists and is very present in my life. But I know that a lot I have been taught up to this point has been bologna. So will someone help me out here to understand please? I know I need to study some stuff here on my own, but I think some people have insight here I need to hear...

I fully support other people's right to believe what they wish. In accordance with that statement, I'd advise you that the types of questions you are asking could very well shake what faith you have. Just a warning to you. That you are seeking out answers to these questions is commendable.

I'll be watching this with some interest, unless it turns into yet another S&R pissing match.

I honestly want to know here. I won't be so arrogant as to say that my faith could not be shaken. Though I'm certainly not intentionally putting myself in front of a freight train here... I just want to understand the other side of the story.

Ok, I'll admit it Setanta and JB can have pretty much full credit for this thread being born... I've never heard anyone dispute the teachings of Paul. I find this incredibly intriguing. I find both Setanta and JB intriguing. It's like Setanta's on one end of the spectrum, I'm on the other, and JB is somewhere in the middle. (I think... Forgive me if I'm wrong about that JB)

Questioner I certianly hope this won't turn into a pissing match. That is not my intent at all. I would like to have a place to ask questions and get input from others is all.

Ummmm Setanta....

Quote:
First you get down on your knees
Fiddle with your rosaries
Bow your heads with great respect
And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect, yeah!

Do whatever steps you want if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff
Everybody say his own Kyrie eleison
Doin' the Vatican Rag ! ! !

Get in line in that processional
Step into that small confessional
There, the guy who's got religion'll
Tell you if your sin's original

If it is try playin' it safer
Drink the wine and chew the wafer
Two, four, six, eight
Time to transubstantiate

Make a cross on your abdomen
When in Rome do like a Roman
Ave Maria, gee it's good to see ya
Getting ecstatic an' sorta dramatic an'
Doin' the Vatican Rag ! ! !

Say what?!?! LOL
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:47 am
Terry wrote:
Hephzibah, if the message was so important, why do you suppose that Jesus failed to write it down himself? Even his disciples couldn't agree on the details, once he was gone.

Why allow Paul (who never actually met Jesus) to change the original message to make it appealing to Gentiles?

Why rely on oral transmittal for decades, then have a lot of people who got the testimony second or third hand each write their own versions, then have other people edit/revise the stories, then spend centuries on political fighting to decide which of the many manuscripts floating aorund should be included in the Canon and which were "pious frauds" that did not reflect the desired theology?

Ok Terry let's see here...

I've been through this scenario before but... I'll put it out there again. It can't be denied that if three people witness a car wreck when the police come to take a report they will receive three similar stories, however every detail will not match exactly. Why? Three different people saw it from three different perspectives.

Quote:
Why allow Paul (who never actually met Jesus) to change the original message to make it appealing to Gentiles?

I'm going to reply to your question with a question for you...

Where did Paul change the original message to make it appealing to the Gentiles? I would like to see actual proof here please.

As far as your last question... I will ask again for proof of this.

Oh yeah... I have one more question for everyone reading this and thinking of responding...

What is it that makes your sources of information more credible than the sources that wrote the bible?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:08 am
What about me Hep?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
hephzibah wrote:

I'm going to reply to your question with a question for you...

Where did Paul change the original message to make it appealing to the Gentiles? I would like to see actual proof here please.

As far as your last question... I will ask again for proof of this.

Oh yeah... I have one more question for everyone reading this and thinking of responding...

What is it that makes your sources of information more credible than the sources that wrote the bible?

Heph, have you looked at the link I posted on page one? It's a pretty good detail of everything you're asking.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
djjd62 wrote:
here's a question, how did a perfect god, let so much of his word be transfered through so many imperfect people, if i wanted the story to get out right, i'd have made sure that i used some divine intervention to guide the authors hand
djjd62 wrote:
ok, but i'm god (well not me), i can make the heavens and the earth, can't i make sure that my words get out, i know the writers are imperfect, but can't i kinda work some magic, put the right words in there heads and bang, my bible is the perfect text

the argument that it was a text translated by imperfect men, means that the whole thing could be wrong, a long shot i know, but we've all played the game where somebody whispers something in one persons ear, and they whisper it in somebody elses and by the time i t gets around the room, it bears little or no resemblence to what was orginally said
The surest way to obtain moral license is to cast doubt on the authenticity of moral law.

What makes you think the perfect God did not oversee the writing, the copying, the translating and the canonical selection to make sure that his word would be preserved for our and future generations?

You assume it is impossible to learn the truth from the bible but have failed to demonstrate the veracity of your proposition.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:30 am
neologist wrote:

What makes you think the perfect God did not oversee the copying, the translating and canonical selection to make sure that his word would be preserved for our and future generations?

Conversely, what makes you think that the perfect God has taken a hand in anything pertaining to the mortal world? Given his apparent lack of activity of late, it's not presumptuous at all to imagine that he very well didn't have one iota of input into whatever wound up being the bible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
neologist wrote:
You assume it is impossible to learn the truth from the bible but have failed to demonstrate the veracity of your proposition.

Sottises, sottises, sottises . . . and you know it. You are asserting that the bible is the source of "authentic moral law"--you have the burden of proof that this were so, no one else is obliged to disprove it.

Don't be beggin' questions here, Bubba . . . here, have a hot cocoa and chill out . . .
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Quote:

There is no proof that Paul changed the original message to be appealing to the Gentiles. However, Jesus said he was going to send him to be a light to the Gentiles to be "salvation unto all the ends of the earth".

Quote:
Act 13:47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, [saying], I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

Paul said he was all things to all people so that he could bring everyone to Christ.

Quote:
1Cr 9:19 For though I be free from all [men], yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
1Cr 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Cr 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1Cr 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all [men], that I might by all means save some.
1Cr 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with [you].
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

Sottises, sottises, sottises . . . and you know it. You are asserting that the bible is the source of "authentic moral law"--you have the burden of proof that this were so, no one else is obliged to disprove it.

Don't be beggin' questions here, Bubba . . . here, have a hot cocoa and chill out . . .
Thanks for the cocoa. I'll stir in some instant coffee for an eye opener. I realize I have taken on myself an obligation of proof.

But it is equally naive to discount the bible based on straw men as djjd62 appears to have done.

In the final argument, one should base his belief or disbelief on what the bible actually says and not on personal desire, as a preponderance of believers and non believers are wont to do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
However, would you not agree that the devoted inquirer would want to know what Paul and Origen and Pamphilus and Eusebius did to the scriptural canon? In saying as much, i do not assert that we can ever know this--although things such as the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls suggest that it is not out of the realm of possibility that "pre-Pauline" or "pre-Origenian" texts might be discovered. In historiography, cui bono is the prime question in considering evidentiary reliability. So, i suppose i simply choose scepticism over a desire to belive, no?

I wasn't sure of your caffeine prejudices, i'd have been happy to offer you some of my personal dark roast caffica arabica/mild caffica robusta blend.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
Chai Tea wrote:
What about me Hep?

Hey Chai Tea. I apologize if I missed including you in on this. That wasn't my intent. I just don't remember you asserting specifically to me anything relating to the question of Paul. However, you are more than welcome to give your input on this. I am ready and willing to hear what everyone who wants to participate has to say.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:19 am
Questioner wrote:
neologist wrote:

What makes you think the perfect God did not oversee the copying, the translating and canonical selection to make sure that his word would be preserved for our and future generations?

Conversely, what makes you think that the perfect God has taken a hand in anything pertaining to the mortal world? Given his apparent lack of activity of late, it's not presumptuous at all to imagine that he very well didn't have one iota of input into whatever wound up being the bible.

Questioner, what exactally is God's apparent lack of activity as of late? Is it because you don't see Him? You don't feel His presence? Think about this, I know we've all heard this before:

If a tree in the forest falls and no one is there to hear it... did it really make a sound?

Just because no one was there to hear the sound, does that mean it didn't make one? Just because no one was there to see it fall, does that mean it didn't fall? How could you prove it made a sound if you weren't there to hear it yourself and record it?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:23 am
hephzibah wrote:

Questioner, what exactally is God's apparent lack of activity as of late? Is it because you don't see Him? You don't feel His presence? Think about this, I know we've all heard this before:

If a tree in the forest falls and no one is there to hear it... did it really make a sound?

Philosophical blather aside, that question is ridiculous. Of course it makes a sound. Not only that, but if someone were to traipse through the forest the devastation wrought by the falling tree would be overly evident.

Quote:
Just because no one was there to hear the sound, does that mean it didn't make one? Just because no one was there to see it fall, does that mean it didn't fall? How could you prove it made a sound if you weren't there to hear it yourself and record it?

See above. If God exists, he's going to great pains to keep his activities a secret. The overabundance of greed and scandals in his own church are example enough of his absence in my opinion.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:35 am
So then are you blaming God for the ill intentions of those He created? I'll agree with you that there's a lot of bullcrap going on within the church. Which is one of the prime reasons I rarely attend. But think about this questioner:

If a teenager's parents do the best they can to teach their child right from wrong, yet as soon as he/she get's his/her drivers liscence that teenager goes out to a party, get's drunk, and kills himself on the way home driving drunk. They told them 100 times before letting him get his liscence, "We love you. We know you are young and will sometimes do things that aren't agreeable to us. But please call us if you go to a party and get drunk. We would rather get up at three in the morning to come pick you up, than to get a call from the hospital that you are dead." Yet still that child did not listen. Are the parents responsible for that decision their child made? They told him. They warned him. They gave him another option. Yet still he made his choice. And his choice didn't only cost him, it cost his parents, other family, and friends as well.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:43 am
hephzibah wrote:
So then are you blaming God for the ill intentions of those He created? I'll agree with you that there's a lot of bullcrap going on within the church. Which is one of the prime reasons I rarely attend. But think about this questioner:

Nope, not blaming him in the least. Blaming someone would necessitate me knowing that there is someone there to blame.

Quote:
If a teenager's parents do the best they can to teach their child right from wrong, yet as soon as he/she get's his/her drivers liscence that teenager goes out to a party, get's drunk, and kills himself on the way home driving drunk. They told them 100 times before letting him get his liscence, "We love you. We know you are young and will sometimes do things that aren't agreeable to us. But please call us if you go to a party and get drunk. We would rather get up at three in the morning to come pick you up, than to get a call from the hospital that you are dead." Yet still that child did not listen. Are the parents responsible for that decision their child made? They told him. They warned him. They gave him another option. Yet still he made his choice. And his choice didn't only cost him, it cost his parents, other family, and friends as well.

This is irrelevant to the point I was making.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:48 am
I agree with hephzibah, God gave us free will, so much so that what we do is not preordained beforehand. Proof of that is in the bible where God said that some of the things people did never entered into his mind.

Quote:
Jer 19:5 They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire [for] burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake [it], neither came [it] into my mind:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:55 am
Quote:
See above. If God exists, he's going to great pains to keep his activities a secret. The overabundance of greed and scandals in his own church are example enough of his absence in my opinion.

This was your point was it not?

And this is mine:

You say God is going to great pains to keep his activities a secret, yet how can you say that when you are not willing to see or believe those activities could be happening at all? Because God doesn't function within the boundaries that you have set up in your mind it appears you are saying, well he's just not working then...

And here's my other point:

Maybe you don't see it questioner, but what you are offering as a burden of proof here for God's absense is what PEOPLE are doing. Therefore if one were to read between the lines on this you are putting the blame on God directly for not "controling His people" by making His presence known. The same as the parents in the example I gave.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:59 am
hephzibah wrote:
I've been through this scenario before but... I'll put it out there again. It can't be denied that if three people witness a car wreck when the police come to take a report they will receive three similar stories, however every detail will not match exactly. Why? Three different people saw it from three different perspectives.

Yes, but Paul wasn't actually there. He was nowhere Jesus when his disciples were following him and as far as we can tell, nowhere near Jesus when he was crucified or when he reappeared in front of the Disciples after his resurrection.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:03 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Yes, but Paul wasn't actually there. He was nowhere Jesus when his disciples were following him and as far as we can tell, nowhere near Jesus when he was crucified or when he reappeared in front of the Disciples after his resurrection.

So then that disqualifies him as being one who could have any authority or knowledge at all on the subject of Jesus?
0 Replies