Guess what? Murderers on Death Row are liars too !

Fedral

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
I'm sending this out to all you Tookie Fans out there...

DNA Tests Confirm Executed Va. Man Guilty

By KRISTEN GELINEAU, Associated Press Writer
Thu Jan 12, 6:52 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - A new round of DNA tests that death penalty opponents believed might finally prove that an innocent man was executed in the United States confirmed instead that Roger Keith Coleman was guilty when he went to the electric chair in 1992.

In a case closely watched by both sides in the death penalty debate, Gov. Mark Warner announced that testing on DNA taken from sperm proved Coleman committed the 1981 rape and murder of his sister-in-law, Wanda McCoy.

Coleman went to his death proclaiming his innocence, and a finding that he was unjustly executed would have been explosive news that almost certainly would have had a powerful effect on the public's attitude toward capital punishment. Death penalty opponents have argued for years that the risk of a grave and irreversible mistake by the criminal justice system is too great to allow capital punishment.

"We have sought the truth using DNA technology not available at the time the commonwealth carried out the ultimate criminal sanction," Warner said in a statement. "The confirmation that Roger Coleman's DNA was present reaffirms the verdict and the sanction. Again, my prayers are with the family of Wanda McCoy at this time."

Coleman was convicted and sentenced to death in 1982 for the murder of McCoy, his wife's sister, who was found raped, stabbed and nearly beheaded in her home in the coal mining town of Grundy.

Initial DNA and blood tests in 1990 placed Coleman within the 0.2 percent of the population who could have produced the semen at the crime scene. But his lawyers said the expert they hired to conduct those initial DNA tests misinterpreted the results.

The governor agreed last month to a new round of more sophisticated DNA tests in one of his last official acts. Warner, who has been mentioned as a possible Democratic candidate for president in 2008, leaves office on Saturday.

The report from the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto concluded there was almost no conceivable doubt that Coleman was the source of the sperm found in the victim.

"The probability that a randomly selected individual unrelated to Roger Coleman would coincidentally share the observed DNA profile is estimated to be 1 in 19 million," the report said.

As Coleman's execution drew near, his case drew international attention, with the well-spoken inmate pleading his innocence on talk shows and in magazines and newspapers. Time magazine featured the coal miner on its cover. Pope John Paul II tried to block the execution. Then-Gov. L. Douglas Wilder's office was flooded with thousands of calls and letters of protest from around the world.

Coleman's attorneys argued that he did not have time to commit the crime, that tests showed semen from two men was found inside McCoy and that another man bragged about murdering her.

"An innocent man is going to be murdered tonight," the 33-year-old said moments before he was electrocuted on May 20, 1992. "When my innocence is proven, I hope America will realize the injustice of the death penalty as all other civilized countries have."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 716 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
Well, I'm just shocked. A criminal can be a liar. Huh...

How about this, fedral: Some of us oppose the death sentense as cruel and unusual punishment. Period.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:22 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Well, I'm just shocked. A criminal can be a liar. Huh...

How about this, fedral: Some of us oppose the death sentense as cruel and unusual punishment. Period.

And I have no problem with people who approach the Death Penalty from the moral or cruel and unusual angle, D'artagnan.

I DO however have a problem when people (See the Tookie thread) want to claim that their favorite 'Scumbag of the Moment' just HAS to be innocent because:
1) He was framed by the police, prosecuters, 'The System, etc.
2) He has managed to 'turn his life around', 'found God', 'written childrens books', etc.
3) He managed to convincingly lie to his supporters that he was innocent... as a matter of fact, when the murders were being commited, he was changing a tire on a bus, driven by a nun, taking orphans to their dyalisis sessions.

Rule #1: Criminals lie.

Rule #2: If a criminal tells you he is innocent, refer to Rule #!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:24 am
What if he has been innocent? Tough ****, too late Rog ol' boy, you're already dead!
Until we can prove, without a doubt, infalliably that all people sent to death are guilty the death penalty should not exist.

One innocent man is one too many.
0 Replies