Map may show Chinese explorer discovered America

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:31 pm
Gudrid had a saga written about her, if i recall, but I don't believe she was Eric Raudi's sister. I think she was the daughter of one of Eric's followers, and was intended to marry one of his sons, but ended up marrying to a different Karlsefni . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
Scandinavica-dot-com wrote:
When Leif was a young boy, his father Eric was banished three years from Iceland for killing a man during a dispute. Unable to return to Norway and now banished from Iceland, Erik took his family and sailed westward following reports of a new land off the coast of Iceland. The reports were true and Eric the Red reached a cold, rough land of glaciers and icebergs. He purposely called it "Greenland", hoping that this motivating name would attract other colonists. Eric became the first European to settle permanently in Greenland.

Leif and his family lived entirely isolated in Greenland for three years. After the end of his three years banishment, Eric the Red returned to Iceland looking for people to settle in his "Green Land". In the summer of 985, Eric set out with 25 ships loaded with Icelandic colonists, but the weather was treacherous and only 14 ships and about 350 settlers managed to make the crossing. This was the beginning of the first European settlement of Greenland, which would last for over 400 years

And . . .

Quote:
The Saga of the Greenlanders tells that on his return to Greenland, Leif Ericson met a sailor called Bjarni Herjolfsson. Herjolfsson told Leif how his ship got lost in the ocean after been driven far off course by a storm, and affirmed sighting a green, forested land which was not Greenland because it had no glaciers or fjords. Herjolfsson is considered to be the first European to have spotted North America, possibly the coast of Nova Scotia.

And . . .

Quote:
On his arrival to Greenland, Leif became known as "Leif the Lucky" because he had found great wealth and no troubles during his expedition to Vinland. Eric the Red died one year after his son's return from Vinland, so Leif took over his father's farm of Brattahlid and never travelled again.

Leif's brother, Thorvald Ericson, organized a second expedition to Vinland two years after Leif's journey. While exploring the new land, Thorvald was killed in a violent clash with a group of native North Americans. Thorvald Ericson became the first European to die and to be buried in America.

Leif's reports of fertile Vinland reached as far as Iceland, and a colonist expedition composed by sixty men and five women was organized by Thorfinn Karlsefni. The group led by Thorfinn settled in Vinland for about three years. It is thought that they were probably driven away by violent encounters with the Skraelings, a Norse word for the native North Americans. During their time in Vinland, Thorfinn and his wife Gudrid had a son, Snorri, who was first European child to be born in America.

Eventually, the Norse colony in Vinland was abandoned and Thorfinn, Gudrid and Snorri returned to Iceland. It is believed that the Greenlanders returned to Vinland on many occasions before the Greenland colony disappeared in the 14th-15th century. Very little is known about Leif Ericson's later life. The Saga of Eric the Red and the Saga of the Greenlanders tell that after his journey to Vinland, Leif became the most prominent person in Greenland. He was well respected and lived and died at Brattahlid.

Scandinavica's Vinalnd Page

Guess i was wrong about Gudrid . . . but i did read about her, almost forty years ago now . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Anyone ever heard of St. Brendan? He who sailed the seas in a leather boat?

http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/r/system-reseau/images/1historic_e_18_6.jpg
L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland is the only authenticated Viking settlement in North America. It is said to be over 500 years old. I believe that another site has recently been found. I can't find the details though.

Tooth marks link Vikings, Indians
A scientist who found deep grooves chiselled into the teeth of dozens of 1,000-year-old Viking skeletons unearthed in Sweden believes the strange custom might have been learned from aboriginal tribes during ancient Norse voyages to North America -- a finding that would represent an unprecedented case of transatlantic, cross-cultural exchange during the age of Leif Ericsson.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm
Long time, no sea, Canajun girl . . .
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm
Serrated teeth of the tyrannosaurus rex helped to tear flesh off its victim. There are knives with serrated blades for steaks. The serrations serve to grip the meat and cut as well. This could count for the grooved teeths of the skeletons.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:38 am
Setanta wrote:
Long time, no sea, Canajun girl . . .

One of the nicest "flying spots" here ...
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 06:35 pm
But if those 1,000 - year - old Scandinavian skeletons really had learned anything from American Indian tribes then they were in North America in the 9th century A.D. already if not sooner.

When did Leif Ericsson get here exactly???

Anyway today is the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth, all Austria is celebrating, I wish I could link to some music on these threads!!
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:10 pm
farmerman wrote:

Theres too much presumed accuracy (for its time) to let the Chinese be the "Discoverers" of some of these concepts in mapping when all they had was this fleet of deadrise flat bottom ships that probably moved slower than the tides at top speed.

http://www.sowoo.com/news/UploadFiles/200506/20050629115854733.jpg

Is this really a bad ship? Well, at least it could sail faster than tide. Confused

Though, I agree with most of what you say here Smile

I still don't believe that.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 07:12 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

Anyway today is the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth, all Austria is celebrating, I wish I could link to some music on these threads!!

Salute! And muuuusic! Very Happy
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
First of all, before Columbus, European fishermen may have already discovered the New World. I mean, they don't necessarily land there, but fish around the area, and when you have a good fishing spot, you don't want to tell anyone.

As to the Chinese discovering America, Zheng He was a great explorer, but I don't think we can say that some of his expedition ships, reached America without proper proof.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:03 pm
The fishermen of Europe very likely did land, in order to dry or smoke their catch. That has been, in fact, the basis of treaty provisions in European wars which spilled over into North America, recognizing the "immemorial" practice of fishermen landing for such a purpose.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
The evidence at Lanse Aux Meadows has shown that perhaps the settlement ws involved in lumber milleing and shipwright work because theyve found butternut wood and nuts . With some of the remaining wood frags showing hand planing and adxe marks. Further, butternut were not reported from Newfoundland even before the Little Ice Age
0 Replies

Longbowman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:00 pm
Some official record in Ming dynasty show Zheng had reached northern Asia, Middle East and eastern coast of Africa, but nothing was mentioned about America, Greenland, Antarctica and Arctica. But these place was described in that map. I does not have suffient evidence to prove that map is fake. However, one officer in Zheng's fleet had written a book about their great voyage. The book was named 顺风相送(prounced shun feng xiang song , in english it means "follwing the wind") . and in his book he did not mentioned anything about these place.
0 Replies

Longbowman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:02 pm
map of Zheng
the following website is the map used by Zhenghe:http://www.zhenghe.org.cn/jiemi/UploadFiles/200509/20050927095839815.jpg
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:00 pm
Longbowman did the Chinese ever use longbows in battle btw??

Anyway thank you for

Quote:
Some official record in Ming dynasty show Zheng had reached northern Asia, Middle East and eastern coast of Africa, but nothing was mentioned about America, Greenland, Antarctica and Arctica. But these place was described in that map. I does not have suffient evidence to prove that map is fake. However, one officer in Zheng's fleet had written a book about their great voyage. The book was named 顺风相送(prounced shun feng xiang song , in english it means "follwing the wind")

These were very big ships with many hundreds as crew. Why were they only doing coastal sailing were these the orders from the emperor??
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:43 pm
I'm not Longbowman, but I think I can answer your question.

No, the Chinese never used Longbows. They did use crossbows as early as in the B.C. time period. They got this repeating crossbows as well, but I think that was developed in Ming/Qing dynasty, when guns were already invented. I'm not sure though.

Quote:
These were very big ships with many hundreds as crew. Why were they only doing coastal sailing were these the orders from the emperor??

I think the purpose of the expedition was to make allies, and receive tributes. I've heard somewhere that they also got to Australia, but I'm not too sure on this either.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:24 pm
Thank you very much, Ray.

Perhaps "longbowman" has some meaning in Chinese that I for one don't know, I stupidly thought it was literally meant.

Crossing the Pacific and getting to America is out then, by your description of the Chinese admiral's purposes. Even Australia seems doubtful, it's quite far, relatively speaking, even though the Polynesians had no problem getting to it.
0 Replies

Longbowman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:37 am
I think Ray know a lot of things about Chinese history.
In history, Chinese army mainly used Scythicus bow and crossbows.
To Heller, dur to some private reasons, I use Londbowman as my ID.
I'm very sorry to get you puzzled. But I really think you are preciseness in history,and in china "preciseness" is a praise.
0 Replies

Sixguns

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:34 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
Longbowman did the Chinese ever use longbows in battle btw??

Anyway thank you for

Quote:
Some official record in Ming dynasty show Zheng had reached northern Asia, Middle East and eastern coast of Africa, but nothing was mentioned about America, Greenland, Antarctica and Arctica. But these place was described in that map. I does not have suffient evidence to prove that map is fake. However, one officer in Zheng's fleet had written a book about their great voyage. The book was named 顺风相送(prounced shun feng xiang song , in english it means "follwing the wind")

As a longtime archer, with both recurve and my favorite Longbows. I have read greatly on the subject of archery. The English are world renown for the longbow. In fact say longbow and many people think of Robinhood. He was English I believe, whether Saxon or Norman I am not sure.
However my grandfather being full bloodied Choctaw(American indian) I have read much about American Indians . To this point is my knowledge of an American indian tribe located in the lower Texas /Mexico area
that indeed shot a long bow. Being that the bow averaged a few inches longer that the bowman was tall. To my remembrance of that reading it was stated that possibly these Indians may have been using the longbow even before the English.
Of course although quite strong it was no match for the English longbow as they used inferior wood. They did not use Yew wood as did the English.
Yew wood and Bowdok(osage orange ) being the finest woods for longbows. I personally view Osange Orange (American wood) as the better of the two.
To my knowledge the Chinese shot composite bows, very short very very strong . Some were up to the 150 pound range.
These bows have been claimed to be superior even to the English longbow in some aspects. However I believe their endurance(longevity) was not at all equal to the English longbow.
I have two longbows custom made by famous American bowmakers.
One is a 74 pounder(osage Orange) made by Tom Cole other is a 64 pounder(maple and purpleheart) made by Bobby Lofton.
Both bowmakers are now deceased.
The chinese being composite bows incorporating several materials
including horn. bone ,etc.
The bows Chinese used were very powerful.
--Sixguns...
0 Replies

Sixguns

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
The evidence at Lanse Aux Meadows has shown that perhaps the settlement ws involved in lumber milleing and shipwright work because theyve found butternut wood and nuts . With some of the remaining wood frags showing hand planing and adxe marks. Further, butternut were not reported from Newfoundland even before the Little Ice Age

As a casual remark I will say.
Bull#@#@, If the chinese had discovered America first, then when Columbus arrived he would have found vast ricefields instead of ordinary cornfields(Indian corn)! -lol

Of course seeing something and occupying / colonizing are two very different things. The later having more substance in my opinion. -lol--Sixguns
0 Replies