The Spiritual and/or Religious beliefs of an Atheist

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:12 pm
That's about the only "truth" about Frank. He tries to impose his own beliefs on others without providing any substance for his arguments. His broken record is tiresome at best.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's a dead end street, Frank. You give us no substantial reason why we are supposed to say, "I don't know,"....

I do give you a substantial reason. You should tell the truth. And since you acknowledge the proposition "there are no gods" cannot be proven...you simply do not know.

Quote:
... but insist we have to acknowledge it anyway.

I don't insist you have to acknowledge it. I am merely pointing out that it is so. Choose to acknowledge it...or pretend you do know. That is your choice.

Essentially...it is a choice between doing what the theists do on the issue (pretending they know)...or telling the truth.

Quote:

There is no reason to accept the possibility of the figment of someone's imagination, not today, not tomorrow.

What you are doing is to guess that the notion of a God...or of gods...MUST BE THE FIGMENT OF SOMEONE'S IMAGINATION...

...in order to try to justify and rationalize your blind guesses that there are no gods.

Doen't make you a bad person.

But it is sad to watch.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
That's about the only "truth" about Frank. He tries to impose his own beliefs on others without providing any substance for his arguments.

I don't have "beliefs", ci...I leave that for you atheists and the theists to do.

I've provided plenty of substance for what I have to say. But like with the theists...it is falling on deaf ears. They need the security blanket of a "belief" in gods....just like you need the security blanket of a "belief" there are no gods.

Quote:
His broken record is tiresome at best.

Tsk, tsk, tsk!!!!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:43 pm
Frank,

Although I am sure we all understand that these are your opinions, etc., it would be nice just one time if you stated something this way:

"IN MY OPINION, they need the security blanket......"

Perhaps then your comments would not seem so abrasive or so judgmental? I'm just sayin........... :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:54 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Although I am sure we all understand that these are your opinions, etc., it would be nice just one time if you stated something this way:

"IN MY OPINION, they need the security blanket......"

Perhaps then your comments would not seem so abrasive or so judgmental? I'm just sayin........... :wink:

Actually...I probably use the expression "in my opinion" or "it is my opinion"...more than anyone else in this forum.

But that aside...in this particular instance...

...(and assuming you have been reading the discussion as it has progressed)...

...is there just a remote possibility that I am not especially interested in not being abrasive??????

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
Frank,

I was giving you the benefit of a doubt Frank. I did not want to assume that you were being abrasive intentionally.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:01 pm
Geez, MA - there's tolerance, then there's outright foolhardiness. You've been oft bit by the same snake.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:05 pm
And Snood, you are right. Perhaps I was foolish to try and believe the better of Frank. It's rather obvious from what he has stated that he doesn't care if he offends anyone or not. I won't make the same mistake with him again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:46 pm
Frank is trying to make a point he "fervently believes in, whether he admits it or not" and is not out to be rude in the way you characterize it, Momma Angel. You are misreading bluntness for ill temper.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:48 pm
Also, he gets tired and possibly stressed from having to argue so long and hard to make his points. I have never agreed with his position that an atheist has to say, "I don't know," but I have never seen his posts as mean-spirited.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:53 pm
edgar,

I think Frank is intelligent enough to be blunt without being offensive. Constantly being told "thesists are lying (certainly implied if not actually stated), or are foolish, idiotic, moronic, etc., does not appear to be blunt. It appears to be rude. If someone tells him this is how he appears, his response is nothing more than more of the same.

You are blunt, but I can't say that I've ever seen you be downright rude and offensive. I am beginning to think Frank just likes doing what he is doing. I don't know that for a fact, but it's starting to appear that way to me. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would treat people in this manner when it is repeatedly pointed out how others perceive it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:07 pm
Of course, I am not the designated Frank Protection Agency, and he needs no protection. I still say you are making overmuch of his style while possibly ignoring his message.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:09 pm
edgar,

That's my point. Once he starts implying I don't know what I think I know or I'm an idiot for what I think I know, etc., I completely miss his message because I'm reeling from being hit over the head with his verbal baseball bat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:10 pm
swoosh
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:20 pm
so it goes.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:24 pm
Have a nice day gentlemen. Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Have a nice day gentlemen. Laughing

Your skills are sarcasm are improving MA, not good yet, but improving.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
Sweet dreams, Momma Angel.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:29 pm
dys,

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being serious. I got the point about the argument and was dropping it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
<deleted by author>
0 Replies