The Spiritual and/or Religious beliefs of an Atheist

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:13 am
Hi Lola-

How ya doin' kiddo?

Where have you been my blue-eyed sweet one?
Where have you been my darling young one?

I hope not stumbling up the sides of any misty mountains.

I'm really unpopular these days with the "scientifics".But they're all chaps so I don't really care.Some of the ladies on Trivia don't seem to mind me so much which is more than enough compensation.

Are you going to stay this time?Oh do!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:21 am
I'm very busy trying to earn a living. No silly puns, please. But I'll stick around for some fun on the social threads if you promise not to keep me too long.

Here, try this thread. We need some levity around here.

here.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:05 pm
Levity? LEVITY!!!???

Atheists don't do levity and especially not American atheists.

They are very serious people are atheists.They have to be because they have only themselves to give them absolution.

I checked your link.I'll refrain from comment except that I could only see guilt soaked smirkings and base flattery.

When George V was talking to Sir Anthony Eden after he had kissed hands on being appointed Foreign Secretary in place of Sam Hoare who had bodged everything up with Monsieur Laval the King told him that he had told Sam the one about not sending coal to Newcastle nor Hoares to Paris and he remarked-"And the fellow didn't laugh."

Are you still making female adornments?How about a shiny wrist bangle with twenty or thirty tiny crucifixes tinkling on it.For the movers and shakers.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:12 pm
Wow! Frank has returned! Yaay!

Actually, Bart, I think Phoenix has given the most ordinary answer to your question. Most atheists/agnostics attempt to live their lives without direction from theocratic authority; some of these have actually concluded there cannot be a god.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 01:37 pm
Not to give the wrong impression here - I have a deep respect and regard for things spiritual ... particularly spirits of the single malt variety.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:14 pm
30 year old Laphroaig, neat, 5 drops of spring water misted on top, cut-glass oldfashion glass.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:25 pm
What's the % dys.Some of us only go on that.Bangs for bucks.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:27 pm
Spirituality of the third kind........I love you guys.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:30 pm
Re: The Spiritual and/or Religious beliefs of an Atheist
vinsan wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
What are they?

Humanity. That's it.

It's about everyone being....different.

No one sees the same as another.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:30 pm
And we love you Lola which is why you should do a new avvie and rip that irritating underskirt right off.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:
30 year old Laphroaig, neat, 5 drops of spring water misted on top, cut-glass oldfashion glass.

Laphroiag will do if I can't get Lagavulin.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:03 pm
a glass of wine and a ripped off underskirt..........I'll be singing the Lord's praises any minute now.

Seriously though.......I keep the skirt. It's more seductive than bare skin........

But now, back to the question of religious beliefs of Atheists........

I really have very little use for religion.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:05 pm
trivia, where's trivia?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:10 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11263&start=1870

Well Spendi......if you can't do the penis thing.......try this. Invite my competition too from the Trivia thread. We'll have a real good time.

And Francis, you come along too.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:33 pm
Frank,

Thanks, you said pretty much what I thought you would, I guess we've covered this ground before really.

I came across this quote recently by Asimov
Quote:
"When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

This is very good illustration of where I see the flaw in your position. When all the evidence points overwhelmingly to a particular conclusion, is it not reasonable to at least accept that conclusion as the most likely truth until the ultimate proof is forthcoming?...especially when that proof is impossible?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:45 pm
Where do you think the Dys met with Laphroaig? (He introduced me to Pinch, which I liked.)

On the question at hand, I guess I don't understand why no one ever looks at past threads.
Do we all post our innermost thoughts for imminent etherealization? Frank, for example, has given his opinion some seven hundred thousand six hundred and forty two times, and still people wonder what he thinks...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:00 pm
ossobucco,

Any wee dram from Islay will do me really.

I'm determined to find Frank logically wrong because if he isn't, then I am....and I'll need to re-assess the way I see the universe. (That's what I get for being an absolutist!)

So long as I can see flaws in his position, I won't (can't?) abandon mine.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:05 pm
Since I agree with you, eorl, how can I resist your venture?

Though, wait a minute, your possible wrong logic doesn't make him right, de facto...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:10 pm
No, I only need to him to be wrong about me being wrong ! Wink
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 02:23 am
Eorl,

Nice Asimov quote but not applicable to Franks "agnostic position" because "right" and "wrong" for Asimov are defined relative to "agreed physical evidence". In the case of a proposed "deity" there is no consensus as to what such evidence might be. It is only the fundamentalists who need to agree amongst themselves and they play games of "evidence selectivity" in order to maintain their "rationality". This is similar to the nature of schizophrenic belief systems of single individuals.

IMO the fallacy of the agnostic position is that it is rooted in "naive realism" which holds that "existence" is independent of observers. Such an ontological view will naturally support the integrity of a "self" such that the phrase "I don't know" presupposes that "I" can exist independently of "the object of its knowledge". This might work in small scale daily social transactions where the "responsibility" or "continuity of the self" is axiomatic but it breaks down at the frontiers of knowledge where observer actions have been shown to affect "data". Ironically this sits well with the "spiritual mode" I described above and was embraced by Niels Bohr when he adopted the Yin-Yang symbol as his coat of arms.
0 Replies