The Spiritual and/or Religious beliefs of an Atheist

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:24 pm
Chumly and c.i. .....but what perception of "reality" do the theists have ? They are fond of the word "truth" and they don't seem to mean "their truth".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:28 pm
Fresco,

Theists don't seem to mean "their truth?" I'm afraid I do not understand what you mean by that. Could you explain? Oh, and can you "dumb it down" for me? I have a hard time with your posts sometimes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:29 pm
They feel in their heart and soul that what they believe in religion is true. That's all that is needed to satisfy their reality.

They believe their truth is universal, and no explanation is needed beyond "I believe in god."
Their support system is also universal. That builds confidence that what they believe to be true.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:33 pm
Love and morals grow out of self interest, what we are taught, and our nature that evolved within us as the animals we are.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:33 pm
Chumly,

No, I don't deny the God concept, I merely put it in its place !

The difference between concepts of "deities" and other "intangibles" is in their social functionality. In this respect, some forms of theism have become socially problematic as a threat to life.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:34 pm
fresco wrote:
Chumly and c.i. .....but what perception of "reality" do the theists have ? They are fond of the word "truth" and they don't seem to mean "their truth".
Their perception of reality is based on their beliefs or lack thereof. It seems to me this could also be said any one individual of any belief or lack thereof. As to the merit of these beliefs or lack thereof that is another matter altogether.

The merit of their beliefs or lack thereof needs to have some externalized mechanism to qualify and quantify it before it carries any weight with me.

I know theists make some claims as to universal truths, but I would apply the same critical eye.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:44 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Love and morals grow out of self interest, what we are taught, and our nature that evolved within us as the animals we are.
Are you saying I am an immoral animal of carnal love Twisted Evil
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:46 pm
MA,

The thesis is this.

When you as a Christian say "God is real" you mean "He" is actually out there as a separate entity from yourself and that this "truth" is accessible to "all who are willing to open their eyes".

When I as an atheist say "God is a concept" I mean that all "concepts" including "God" are evoked by the perceptual needs of observers.
There are no "objective things" even if our common perceptual apparatus gives common impressions of an "external reality". So "truth" is a matter of common consensus about needs (especially the need to predict), NOT "objective existence".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 06:57 pm
Fresco,

I can understand that. I can accept that. I don't have a problem with you thinking god is a concept so why should you have a problem with my thinking God is real?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 08:01 pm
If what you say were not so, Fresco, theists could support their thesis empirically. Or they could at least use their concept of god to predict and control.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 08:05 pm
Hey JLN!

May I ask "predict and control" what?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 08:18 pm
Any and all the kinds of things that confront us in life. Prediction and control of such things are essentially what so-called knowledge is for, even though I do acknowledge that theoretical "beliefs" also give us a subjectively gratifying sense of "understanding" (which is what religious beliefs also do).
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:01 am
....and of course prediction of "events after death".

MA you ask what is the "problem" with your position...and the answer is that the word "problem"
can be ascribed by atheists to "the threat posed by religion to world peace". Indeed Christians might even have "a problem" with other religions in this respect. Theists cannot claim "equality" to atheists in this matter except by denying the historical evidence. Of course this "problem" is exacerbated by those theists who reject "prediction in this life" for "prediction in the next". (We have discussed this before).
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:25 am
bm
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 05:12 pm
yes, Fresco, and not only does religion provide beliefs that allegedly serve as PREDICTIONS of what happens after dying, it also provides a degree of CONTROL over what happens. If you "choose" to believe you go to heaven; if you choose not to believe you go to hell.
0 Replies