Gift money

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:51 pm
I'd plan on bringing it to a resale/ consignment store nearby. I have the logistics all worked out with a U-Haul and everything.

We'll see. It does feel a bit iffy.

We've had this hole in the family room (where sozlet and I spend scads of time) since we moved in a year and a half ago -- I'm getting really tired of the half-assedness!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 01:02 pm
boomerang wrote:
...and we went without furniture for almost a year before we learned the absolute and soul saving value of a splurge.

Absolutely, boomer. Sometimes the payback from a splurge is invaluable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 01:57 pm
J_B wrote:
boomerang wrote:
...and we went without furniture for almost a year before we learned the absolute and soul saving value of a splurge.

Absolutely, boomer. Sometimes the payback from a splurge is invaluable.

I feel dirty.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:00 pm
Soz,
We've been in this exact same spot. If you can get by without spending the money that was give to you as a gift, then do it. It was given to you not to pay bills but to spend on something you wanted. You would only think of selling an actual, physical gift given to you by someone if it was the only way you could stay afloat.

In our situation, there have been times when the money was used for bills because it was literally what saved our asses. We were under water breathing through tiny straws mere millimeters above the surface. The money brought at least the very top of our heads out from under.

Other times, a portion was put toward bills to better our situation and then the rest was used as we wanted to use it.

I think you deserve to spend at the very least, SOME of it.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
Really impressed w/the level of maturity and logical thinking going on here - sozobe, I think you do deserve to get something for yourself, and it's even more selfless of you that you are considering a household item, something you can all use.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
My aunt and uncle used to give me a cash gift each Christmas, designated as "funny money". It wasn't to be used for anything practical, or put into a savings account (as I tended to do with any cash that came my way as a teenager).

I finally learned to have fun with that cash, and that was a good lesson in and of itself. A little responsibility goes a long way, and so does a little fun.

~~~~~~~

mulling

Your mother could have chosen to give the money to you as a family - but she gave it to you - to get yourself a treat. Gotta honour that wish to some degree.

~~~~~~~~

mulling more

If I were your mom, and I knew you and your evil ways :wink: , I'd probably get you a gift certificate to someplace you can't possibly find anything practical.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 04:35 pm
Hee hee! I'm just the quintessential Capricorn, ain't I ehBeth?

Went to see the sofa/ loveseat, pshaw. I really don't think my standard of cleanliness is that high, but the stuff I've been seeing that's advertised as "clean" and "good condition" has been plain nasty. This stuff looked great in pictures and looked AWFUL up close (and didn't smell so great either).

Wanna see my half-assed family room? Finally got back a roll I took for boomer's "My House..." thread. Back when the sun showed itself now and then (even then though it was "ooh there's some sun better grab the camera...!")

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/familyroom.jpg

Some other stuff (mostly storage + bookcases) to the left in that photo and between my desk and the windows. (My desk in the foreground, sozlet's in the background, the one we got via craigslist for $40 -- it's working out great! This was taken just after we got it, we've fancied up that area a bit since. A rug, more on the walls, etc.)

I want to put a couch against the windows on the right, pull some things together that way. So many modern American couches are HUGE though! My ideal is an old 30's- 40's camelback with not-awful upholstery...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
Wow! What a beautiful room! Love the woodwork and the ultra-tall windows. I can see why you waited for a sunny day. Gorgeous!

From what I can see of the yard it is beautiful too!

Too bad the sofa didn't work out. We looked at a lot that didn't work out before we found just the right one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
That's the famous and much-used trampoline, too, wanted to show you that.

How's Mo's trampoline working out?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:20 pm
He doesn't get it until next Monday. I know the sofa will thank me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:25 pm
Oh, right! I was thinking it was Christmas, not birthday, sorry. Looking forward to his reaction (and action pics, perhaps!)

Yes, our sofa (we have one in the living room) was deeply, soulfully grateful when attentions shifted from it to trampoline, I could just tell...

Currently, I'm feeling rather wait-and-see -- I don't want to get something just to have something and so far everything is not nice enough (but cheap) or too expensive (but nice). Will keep my eyes open and see what develops.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
Soz--

You need that couch to ward off infection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:57 pm
Oooh, excellent point...! :-D
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:47 pm
Now there are two thing on this thread that I just don't understand...

How does a couch ward off infection and why does DrewDad feel dirty?

Wait! Wait! Three things....

Does that mean that DrewDad will ward off infection?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:28 pm
I hope so, for his and his family's sake.

I think Noddy was being a wee bit enabling. Like, want those high heels? Well, they'll tone your calves, gotta get them, as good as a stairmaster and 1/10th of the price. Go!

There isn't actually any LINK per se between couches and warding off infection so far as I know, but there could be. Should be.

Hey, that soul-fulfilling splurginess, that sounds like it'd be great for the immune system...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Buy yourself something nice, soz. You deserve it.

Ditto.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
Ooooh, and especially if your parents told you to spend it on yourself. Then it's a gift from (each of) them to you, parents and child, and to be frank, none of his business.

You dont spend it on something, youd only upset your parents (not at you, but at him, which is all the worse for family relations) ... and they'll make sure to just buy you something next time, no more money.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
I agree. You have to spend it on yourself, soz, not your family. Otherwise, it'd be like turning down a gift.

(My mother was a Capricorn, so I realize I am probably talking to a brick wall here.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:25 pm
Soz--

Aside from the positive correlation between couches and a healthy immune system everyone knows that a closely bonded mother-and-ill-child need a several places to sit and suffer, the better to dispel the germy miasma.

Twenty-two more days in the first half of winter.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:27 am
Yup, i think you should buy something for yourself.

If you want a couch tho, I think you should go ahead and do it! The gift is for you to spend as you'd like to enjoy it. You might build some really great memories on a couch.
Smile
0 Replies