Are you qualified to hold a political opinion?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
I wondered how long it would take you to rise to the bait, Herr Hinteler . . .

T'es chic - tu es très fajoute avec moi!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
Je suis mechant . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
On le dit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:42 pm
You didn't vote?
Shut up.

In Canada there are ways of noting that you can't find a candidate you want to vote for.

This is the easiest.

Quote:
In Canada, any voter who turns up to vote and refuses to take a ballot paper has traditionally had their name included in the total of 'spoiled' ballots. This total is usually simply the difference between names crossed off as voting and the number of formal votes admitted to the count.

link

Even better - don't like the candidates? Present an alternative.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Some people don't register to vote because they don't want to get called for jury duty. I can understand that. They are still entitled to their opinion.

But if they choose not to vote, how seriously would you take their opinion? I'd say they can't hold it very strongly if they're not willing to undertake the other responsibilities of being a citizen.

On the contrary, they might hold the opinion so strongly that they are unable to vote for lack of an adequate candidate.

To paraphrase another of those sci-fi fellows, even when you can't find someone to vote for you can always find someone to vote against.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
I'm sure that's true, but many times I've been in a position where I've had to hold my nose and vote for the lesser or write in "Bill the Cat". What's the difference between that and not voting?

But anyhoo, I get your meaning. I'm just playing devil's avocado.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:23 pm
Heinlein was mentioned earlier. I loved him until I became about sixteen years old.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
A couple of things that was pointed out I do tend to agree with. If a person chooses not to vote then they lose the right to complain. I am also amused at the people who chose not to vote because they don't want to serve on jury duty ( I just love that logic) or , ready for this, so they don't have to pay local taxes! I almost fell out of my chair on that one.
Somebody earlier said that if you don't like either candidate, have a viable solution. I do believe that matches my much ridiculed comment of run for office yourself.
I would rather select the lesser of two evils then not vote. The only way you through your vote away is by not using it. I can care less if my state is considered red/blue/yellow whatever. My vote is my vote!
I don't realy agree with that idea that you need combat service in order to vote. It wasn't until I was in the military for 22+ years before I served in my first combat theatre.
Don't get me started on convicts!
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
So, should non-voters be allowed to voice opinions?

No.

If you don't particpate, you can't complain.

Staple their lips shut.

Expressing an opinion is the same as complaining? Shocked Oh my...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:57 pm
I don't think it's possible to lose your right to complain.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:03 am
Mahealani wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
So, should non-voters be allowed to voice opinions?

No.

If you don't particpate, you can't complain.

Staple their lips shut.

Expressing an opinion is the same as complaining? Shocked Oh my...

what's that saying... "beauty is in the eye..." Laughing

so i guess all of this means that "if you don't vote, you can't voice a favorable opinion" about anything political, either.

i do think that every american that is old enough, or out of trouble enough, should vote. but not simply for a license to have an opinion on things.

if you're an american citizen, you already have that license. it's more about speaking your mind than anything else.

seems simple doesn't it ?
0 Replies

poohtiggern2piglets

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:20 am
ralpheb

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:39 pm Post: 1779034 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a person chooses not to vote then they lose the right to complain. I am also amused at the people who chose not to vote because they don't want to serve on jury duty ( I just love that logic) or , ready for this, so they don't have to pay local taxes! I almost fell out of my chair on that one.

IF YOU HAVE A LICENSE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA YOU CAN SERVE ON JURY WHETHER YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE OR NOT. THEY DONT DO THE VOTE THING LIKE SOME STATES BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WOULDN'T REGISTER TO VOTE JUST SO THEY WOULDN'T EVER HAVE TO GO TO JURY DUTY. I am a voter, and I am not complaining! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:22 am
WHY DO YOU FEEL AS THOUGH YOU NEED TO SHOUT . . . WE'RE NOT DEAF . . . nor blind, for that matter . . .
0 Replies

poohtiggern2piglets

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:40 am
I wasn't shouting?? How can you shout if you can't hear when you are reading something? I copied and pasted another post and used capitals so my reply was easier to point out...Geez!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:40 am
IF GEORGE BUSH CAN BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES THEN MY DANM DOG CAN HAVE A POLITICAL OPINION. WHY ARE WE SHOUTING.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:50 am
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY WE ARE SHOUTING . . . YOU'D HAVE TO ASK THE MEMBER THAT STARTED IT . . .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:28 am
poohtigger, all caps are read as emphasis (shouting). You can use the quote button on a person's post to reply if you want to distinguish their words from yours. And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:48 am
Aw shucks, the duck's a Mensch.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:51 am
Embarrassed
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
gosh ducks, not like that's a bad thing.

:wink:
0 Replies