Are you qualified to hold a political opinion?

parados

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:13 pm
Shouldn't the question be:

"Are you unqualified to hold a political opinion?"

After all, it's only a political "opinion" if they disagree with your educated conclusions.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:14 pm
Ali G had a roundtable discussion with several political figures, and asked them, "instead of making the voting age 18, why not say, 'if you got pubes, you can vote?'"

Then asked if animals will ever be able to vote.

These are some tough questions indeed.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:17 pm
isn't political opinion covered under free speech?

if we are guaranteed freedom of speech by the constitution, then political opinion is a right held by everyone. isn't it ?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
People have their reasons.

Felons can't vote, should they still voice their opinions?

I was thinking more along the lines of allowed-to-vote-but-chose-not-to-do-so kind of non-voters.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
Just for the record, I am posting the following to demonstrate why I posted that.

DrewDad wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
MM, you could always start your own thread about perceived Democrat sanctimony.

But your kind much prefers derailing others' threads.

You apparently havent read the whole thread.

Besides,if you really are so offended,then may I suggest you go to the "Bush backers" thread and tell all the Bush haters to leave that thread.

Since you wont do that,buzz off!!

Translation: "Boo, hoo! Whaaaaaaa!"
a

DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe you need to start spending some more time with adults? Maybe then things won't be translated into baby talk in your head.

Never fails; when one starts crying the other starts up, too.

DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
*looks around*

Only one acting like a child here seems to be you. You complain about someone derailing a thread by derailing the thread... Interesting strategy you got there.

Now, go change a diaper and leave the conversations to the grown ups.

Grown-ups aren't afraid of monsters under their beds, so you fail the test.

Drewdad is hardly qualified to judge anyone elses posts, much less whether or not they should be voicing opinions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:27 pm
Rolling Eyes

You want some cheese with that whine?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:28 pm
Some people don't register to vote because they don't want to get called for jury duty. I can understand that. They are still entitled to their opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:28 pm
Nope, just the facts. You started a thread because you wanted to whine about my comment. Grow up.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:30 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Some people don't register to vote because they don't want to get called for jury duty. I can understand that. They are still entitled to their opinion.

Yeah. Texas started using driver's license records instead of voter registration records just for that reason.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:38 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Nope, just the facts. You started a thread because you wanted to whine about my comment. Grow up.

Actually, I thought it showed an interesting bias on your part. I specifically directed the thread away from focusing directly on you or your comment.

So whine if you wish, but please do it where it doesn't bother those of us having a conversation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:40 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

But if they choose not to vote, how seriously would you take their opinion? I'd say they can't hold it very strongly if they're not willing to undertake the other responsibilities of being a citizen.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:41 pm
there was this election one time, Gore was running against Bush, I choose not to vote by voting for Nader. Ok, I'm sorry.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
next election I'm voting for DrewDad.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:44 pm
DrewDad wrote:
So, should non-voters be allowed to voice opinions?

No.

If you don't particpate, you can't complain.

Staple their lips shut.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:50 pm
dyslexia wrote:
next election I'm voting for DrewDad.

If nominated, I shall not run. If elected, I shall not serve.

OK. Maybe I would, but I much prefer my quiet, happy life.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
Dys and Bella bring an interesting side thought. If you live in a heavily red state (as I do) but continue to live there and throw your vote away, should you be allowed to hold an opinion?

If one truly felt the strength of one's convictions, should one move to a swing state?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
Oh, and i don't think Germans should be allowed to hold political opinions, until the entire nation has had a time out in the corner for, oh, i don't know . . . a millenium?

AA, I only say: AA! :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:05 pm
I have held a very strong political philosophy for probably longer than many of you were able to vote. The idea is very simple:

Whomever is in, get him (or her) the hell out. There is a very logical reason for this. There is an inverse correlation between the amount of time that a person has been in government service, and his idealism and independence.

In other words, don't let the sumbitches get too entrenched. You will never get rid of them, and the corruption will go deeper and deeper the longer that are in power.

OK, I have said my piece, and no, I don't plan to run either. So there! Neutral
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:08 pm
I wondered how long it would take you to rise to the bait, Herr Hinteler . . .

One of the sci fi boys, maybe it was Azimov, suggested that the desire to hold public office ought to automatically disqualify the candidate . . .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
DrewDad wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

But if they choose not to vote, how seriously would you take their opinion? I'd say they can't hold it very strongly if they're not willing to undertake the other responsibilities of being a citizen.

On the contrary, they might hold the opinion so strongly that they are unable to vote for lack of an adequate candidate.
0 Replies